NUFC Transfer Rumours

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I won’t be devastated if we don’t get players in but it would be very strange to have a summer window without b improving the team. Can’t deny that’s a negative. 

We’ve improved the team 😉

I'm at the stage now where I don't give a fuck if we sign someone or not. Reckon our team is perfectly capable of a top 5 finish as it is, if we manage to stay fairly injury free.

Pope

Livra Schär Burn Hall

Tonali Bruno Joelinton 

Murphy Isak Gordon

Dubravka 

Trippier Krafth Kelly Targett 

Longstaff Miley (pick one) Willock

Almiron Wilson Barnes

That's two really good starting elevens under Howe, and that's not even counting Botman and Lascelles, and we've finally got a young back up for when Wilson is out. 

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

I'm at the stage now where I don't give a fuck if we sign someone or not. Reckon our team is perfectly capable of a top 5 finish as it is, if we manage to stay fairly injury free.

Pope

Livra Schär Burn Hall

Tonali Bruno Joelinton 

Murphy Isak Gordon

Dubravka 

Almiron Wilson Barnes

That's two really good starting elevens under Howe, and that's not even counting Botman and Lascelles, and we've finally got a young back up for when Wilson is out. 

Might not be the time or the place but it’s evident there is a gulf in class between the two Miley’s that have been on show 

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

Pope

Livra Schär Burn Hall

Tonali Bruno Joelinton 

Murphy Isak Gordon

Dubravka 

Almiron Wilson Barnes

Attaboy. 😍

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

Pope

Livra Schär Burn Hall

Tonali Bruno Joelinton 

Murphy Isak Gordon

Dubravka 

Almiron Wilson Barnes

I'm in agreement, tbf the weakest link in that second 11 is the keeper I think

Totally agree with heron and nobody, probably why the relentless misery of certain posters greatest so much. You would think we are relegation fodder at times here. That said am still convinced we will buy well

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Totally agree with heron and nobody, probably why the relentless misery of certain posters greatest so much. You would think we are relegation fodder at times here. That said am still convinced we will buy well

Me too. Keep the faith. It ain’t over ‘til it’s over. :indi:

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Pope

Livra Schär Burn Hall

Tonali Bruno Joelinton 

Murphy Isak Gordon

Dubravka 

Almiron Wilson Barnes

I think you raise some good points particularly about injuries. I mean jokes aside Tonali is like a new bloody signing 😂. We do have a good squad but the RW and R CB areas remain quite weak in terms of quality (RW) and depth (R CB). Also evidence always presents itself that teams who don’t strengthen tend to stand still. 

I still think we’ll make some signings but failing to bring anyone in this window be extremely disappointing for me. I suppose what I’m also saying is more games with Krafth, Miggy, Murphy, Longstaff playing this season playing this season limits our chances of a top four finish. Tonali coming in improves the midfield, new signings would address the other areas.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Have to remember that last season we only finished 8 points from 4th in a season where we had key players out all season. Just had a look and if we scored around 6 more goals across 4 or 5 fixtures we'd have been 4th. Fine margins really. With Tonali back and certain positions bolstered from a squad perspective (albeit not the first 11 being improved upon) I feel we have a healthy chance of being in with a shout of top 4. My expectancy is between 4th and 7th but I really do think we're capable fo top 4 if we gather momentum. We really need that siege mentality though and w should absolutely have it, we're being dicked by shite rules that restrain us. That first game was horrific refereeing and we won a game with 10men in the PL after playing for 65mins with one less man.

Tonali will be huge for us I reckon too.

Edited by Heron

7 hours ago, MickMack said:

Might not be the time or the place but it’s evident there is a gulf in class between the two Miley’s that have been on show 

You could say their mileys apart, I didn’t watch the friendlies / which is better?

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Attaboy. 😍

Agreed and a better second keeper last year and we’d be in Europe - end of as far as I’m concerned.  That said even if we don’t buy anyone, think of the positives and that is one window where our spending is relatively low so edges towards an extravagant one in the future.

I think top 4 will be difficult if we sign nobody. Most of the teams competing for those positions have strengthened (or are already strong enough). You have the top 8 from last season who will be there or there abouts, then Brighton look like they can potentially be in the mix too.

Lack of Europe will help, but it still doesn't guarantee an injury free season. We are already scraping at the barrel defensively and we've played one game.

I think the big thing for me is how impotent our right hand side looks going forward if Trippier leaves. We have relied so much on him over the past two seasons to create chances, Livramento doesn't have anywhere near the same effectiveness at the moment. That's an area of his game that will develop of course, but he's quite a way off. It leaves us looking lopsided, when we've all been screaming for a RW for a few windows now.

Still plenty of time, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say it will have been a disappointing summer if we get to next week and our squad looks the same as it does at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think top 4 will be difficult if we sign nobody. Most of the teams competing for those positions have strengthened (or are already strong enough). You have the top 8 from last season who will be there or there abouts, then Brighton look like they can potentially be in the mix too.

Lack of Europe will help, but it still doesn't guarantee an injury free season. We are already scraping at the barrel defensively and we've played one game.

I think the big thing for me is how impotent our right hand side looks going forward if Trippier leaves. We have relied so much on him over the past two seasons to create chances, Livramento doesn't have anywhere near the same effectiveness at the moment. That's an area of his game that will develop of course, but he's quite a way off. It leaves us looking lopsided, when we've all been screaming for a RW for a few windows now.

Still plenty of time, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say it will have been a disappointing summer if we get to next week and our squad looks the same as it does at the moment. 

Aye, it isn't unreasonable to suggest we haven't had a great summer, I agree. :thup:

I just think it's also not as doom and gloom as folk make out.

Edited by Heron

I spent the majority of last season consoling myself how the expiring contracts in 2025 give us an opportunity to reshape the squad this summer, adding real quality in the process. I was confident that we'd have the time, the resource, the planning to really push on this summer.. 

So I'm really disappointed with our window, our inability to identify and attract talent from Europe and most of all the PSR financial planning. Don't particularly blame anybody (apart from the Ashworth the snake) but it's a missed opportunity.

I see that Eddie is confident that his style will always bring us goals but we're already often hard-countered by low defenses. In football you often need to adapt, evolve, sometimes change just for the sake of change.. add a new dimension, a new creative spark just to keep up the form and ease the load on the existing top performers.

As it is I very much doubt that Isak, Bruno and Gordon can maintain top form without injuries for another full season. So imo top 5/6 is beyond this squad's capabilities, with or without the ridiculously overpriced Guehi. 

As long as expectations on Howe are lowered if we make no new signings I’m not too bothered. He can’t be expected to make top 5 without any, not saying we can’t do it but it shouldn’t the expectation of him.

Edited by SUPERTOON

I'd still expect us to challenge for top 6, we have the squad to do well and a manager that will work himself to the ground to ensure results are achieved - just irritating seeing our rivals get some great deals over the line whilst we still huff and puff

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

As long as expectations on Howe are lowered if we make know signings I’m not too bothered. He can’t be expected to make top 5 without any, not saying we can’t do it but it shouldn’t the expectation of him.

But Eddie has set top 4 expectations himself, and he’s set those expectations with the current squad. 

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

But Eddie has set top 4 expectations himself, and he’s set those expectations with the current squad. 

Has he ? I’ve not seen him say that tbh.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Has he ? I’ve not seen him say that tbh.

Yes, I can’t find the press conference now but both he and the players have stated CL qualification is the aim. 

CB scares me a bit and Schar missing exposes the quality a lot. I reckon in their own right Burn and Kelly are mid-table defenders, Krafth back up when needed. Schar improves it a lot but if we could get Guehi I'll be a lot happier. 

I know you could say the same about RW but we have other means to score and assist, they're still handy players in Howe's set up..

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Yes, I can’t find the press conference now but both he and the players have stated CL qualification is the aim. 

Aim and expectations are slightly different though I think. Like I say we are good enough to do it, I just hope expectations of him are lowered.

In isolation, you can take this summer but if it was to stay as it is then that would be three transfer windows where we haven't improved the 1st eleven. You could argue Tonali is an improvement but he was up and down in the limited time we saw him and being an Italian international doesn't mean too much these days so the jury's still very much out on him.

Lets see what the next few days throw up.

14 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

It’s one thing expecting it of yourself but another having those put on you by your employers. I think that’s what he was saying, he hopes he gets support from the club.