NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

It’s one thing expecting it of yourself but another having those put on you by your employers. I think that’s what he was saying, he hopes he gets support from the club.

Aye that’s what I was trying to say 👍

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

CB scares me a bit and Schar missing exposes the quality a lot. I reckon in their own right Burn and Kelly are mid-table defenders, Krafth back up when needed. Schar improves it a lot but if we could get Guehi I'll be a lot happier. 

I know you could say the same about RW but we have other means to score and assist, they're still handy players in Howe's set up..

I genuinely think you’re being very harsh on Burn there. Terrible LB but has been stellar as CB ever since signing for us imo.

51 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think top 4 will be difficult if we sign nobody. Most of the teams competing for those positions have strengthened (or are already strong enough). You have the top 8 from last season who will be there or there abouts, then Brighton look like they can potentially be in the mix too.

Lack of Europe will help, but it still doesn't guarantee an injury free season. We are already scraping at the barrel defensively and we've played one game.

I think the big thing for me is how impotent our right hand side looks going forward if Trippier leaves. We have relied so much on him over the past two seasons to create chances, Livramento doesn't have anywhere near the same effectiveness at the moment. That's an area of his game that will develop of course, but he's quite a way off. It leaves us looking lopsided, when we've all been screaming for a RW for a few windows now.

Still plenty of time, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say it will have been a disappointing summer if we get to next week and our squad looks the same as it does at the moment. 

I get what you’re saying, it’s just that I see it as apart from Arsenal and Man City there's uncertainty about every other team competing for a European place. Whilst I understand the standing still is going backward argument, I’d argue the signings of Kelly and Osula have raised the floor of the squad, and the fact that no European football should theoretically mean the squad is loaded less, whin in turn means we should be able to remain competitive.

I cannot believe Howe would willingly not make any more signings when money is available, add to that his comments regarding staying instead of taking the England job and it points to things not running smoothly behind the scenes.

If that is the case then either him or Mitchell won’t be here in a years time.

11 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I genuinely think you’re being very harsh on Burn there. Terrible LB but has been stellar as CB ever since signing for us imo.

“Terrible LB” is ridiculously harsh mind. He had a poor run for a period last season (probably partly due to pushing himself to come back early from a broken back…) but he played LB for the majority of the season before when we had the best defensive record in the league.

Agree his best position is CB though, and wouldn’t expect to see him getting too many games at LB ahead of Hall or Kelly now.

There is no excuse not to make any signings when we have 50-60m funds available. Even if we cannot get Guehi, our scouting work and Mitchell’s own network should come up some back up plans around Europe to fill the CB role. 

The scouts aren’t paid for nth.

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

“Terrible LB” is ridiculously harsh mind. He had a poor run for a period last season (probably partly due to pushing himself to come back early from a broken back…) but he played LB for the majority of the season before when we had the best defensive record in the league.

Agree his best position is CB though, and wouldn’t expect to see him getting too many games at LB ahead of Hall or Kelly now.

We seem to be creating a circle of over the top judging on burn, my apologies as I love Burn and think he’s been a great signing, I just love him at CB that’s all.

I like Burn. He gets comically skinned for pace from time to time, but its generally only once or twice a game and very rarely leads to us conceding.

The valid criticism of him would be his attacking contribution. This has not mattered that much when we've had a lopsided formation with Trippier in the opposition half and essentially three at the back, but will matter more if Trippier is being moved on and LB is going to have to contribute. Gordon's first move so far has often been inside before playing a throughball, but this might change if we see Hall up there overlapping.

15 minutes ago, Zero said:

There is no excuse not to make any signings when we have 50-60m funds available. Even if we cannot get Guehi, our scouting work and Mitchell’s own network should come up some back up plans around Europe to fill the CB role. 

The scouts aren’t paid for nth.

They have backups, they are just as expensive and difficult deals to do because of how good they are.

One week to go. If no-one else comes in it has been the worst transfer window since the new regime took over.

Anderson and Minteh out. Kelly, Odysseas Longname (who it looks like is going out on loan anyway), John Ruddy and William Osula in. An Ashley-esque window.

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I cannot believe Howe would willingly not make any more signings when money is available, add to that his comments regarding staying instead of taking the England job and it points to things not running smoothly behind the scenes.

image.gif.a031e19c341a2b0e3ba332fadc7a11bc.gif

36 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Does he get in any other top 8 team though? I think if we have Schar, Botman or Guehi with him we're absolutely fine against the better clubs, I'd just worry when he's the best CB we have in the team against the top 8.

I can't see any conceivable situation, given how important this season is in terms of transition of personnel, that we don't make any significant , high-end additions to the first team. 

If we actually don't, then something within the club structure has failed spectacularly. 

Edited by Izakaya

Even though Lloyd Kelly was a free transfer, I do feel like he is being treated like a poor/second choice signing when evaluating the window so far.

Let's not forget he'd have cost us 20m+ a year prior and everything we have seen suggests we've got something fairly special in him.

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

You could say they’re mileys apart, I didn’t watch the friendlies / which is better?

I think Lewis is substantially better, Jamie has done well in friendlies in that he’s not been shit, but he just doesn’t look like he’ll have enough in his locker to make it at the top level, too early to say that really and hope I’m wrong 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Even though Lloyd Kelly was a free transfer, I do feel like he is being treated like a poor/second choice signing when evaluating the window so far.

Let's not forget he'd have cost us 20m+ a year prior and everything we have seen suggests we've got something fairly special in him.

That's because getting him on a free is only a coup in terms of allowing us to spend money elsewhere, which we haven't so far.

Just see how it plays out.

We've got a week to go, very little point in wasting emotional energy on something that hasn't happened yet.

Personally think Guehi is still nailed on, but we'll soon find out.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

I think he’ll turn out to be an excellent signing too. Fast, big fucker, has a pass in him.

I do think Howe will have been let down by recruitment if we fail to get anyone in though particularly in relation to aiming for top four. (I still think we’ll make further signings just to be clear) 

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

Pep when he leaves Man City and we have tied up a few more sponsorship deals.

Our owners will not be happy with sitting around the Europe League/Conference places.