NUFC Transfer Rumours

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Nope Wolves is actually decent night out for a start, you haven’t got to travel far outside of the centre before it’s rougher than a badgers arse though

Made me think about John McGinn straight away :lol: 

Now if we are talking about genuinely grim places in that part of the world can I suggest Telford. Basically a few small towns they’ve tried to make a bigger conurbation by putting a shopping centre and retail parks in the middle. Tried to avoid that place like the plague while I lived down there, basically bypassing it and going to Shrewsbury instead, which is another really good night out if you’re ever in that part of the world.

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I loved working in Bristol.  Was thinking of moving down there before leaving the UK.  Would likely be my preferred destination should I ever return.  Preferred it to Newcastle tbh (maybe if I hadn’t spent most of my life in Newcastle I’d feel different).

Tbh quite like all the places on your list - but I’d put London under Liverpool.  Unless you’re very, very wealthy, London would be a bloody awful place to live.  Would likely be top if money wasn’t an issue.

Coventry is a tip, mind.  

What constitutes sufficiently wealthy for London? I’d say most of my friends and I don’t fall into that bracket and we really enjoy living here. That includes a musician and an NHS midwife (neither of whom have family support).

I echo your sentiments entirely about Bristol. Wonderful place. Newcastle glorious; I’d also live in Cambridge when retired. Big amounts of time for Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

Don’t get any of the hype about Brighton or Manchester; both just grey and dilapidated to me. Birmingham an odd one: some outstanding and beautiful parts but lots of city centre is a write off and quite scary.

I try to see the best in all places tbf, nature of what I do for a living. Many northern cities actually have a lot going for them they're just often hollowed out in terms of deindustrialization, unkempt due to endless public cuts and suburbanised to the point of being ghost towns (all of these factors compound each other). 

The genuinely worst places I've been to recently are smaller towns that are geographically isolated but aren't pretty enough to be touristy. Making my way through the 92 has taken me to Barrow-in-Furness and Grimsby in the last 12 months. If you want to see genuine 'shitholes', give them a whirl.

Edited by ponsaelius

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, like I said I quite like it, but the post-WWII rebuild made the centre pretty ugly-looking.  The cathedral sums it all up tbf.  Generally though found the locals to be sound. 

It’s the post heavy industry thing. Not dissimilar to home. It’s so the least segregated city I ever lived in. 

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

What constitutes sufficiently wealthy for London? I’d say most of my friends and I don’t fall into that bracket and we really enjoy living here. That includes a musician and an NHS midwife (neither of whom have family support).

I echo your sentiments entirely about Bristol. Wonderful place. Newcastle glorious; I’d also live in Cambridge when retired. Big amounts of time for Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

Don’t get any of the hype about Brighton or Manchester; both just grey and dilapidated to me. Birmingham an odd one: some outstanding and beautiful parts but lots of city centre is a write off and quite scary.

Tbf, probably just my own bias speaking :) - if we’re talking London (and not a commute from distant suburbia), then I’d want millions in the bank to be able to buy a decent size house near the centre.  I’m done with living in flats or apartments.  But there is always something on or something to do there - so I don’t doubt that folks will enjoy living there.

Manchester is a bleak city as far as I’m concerned - and lacking a true ‘centre’.  There is nothing iconic there. 

Agreed re Cambridge, Glasgow, Edinburgh.  Birmingham’s jewellery  quarter etc are canny for a day out - but I also agree, it’s mostly a bit ‘nothingy’

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hope everyone enjoys catching up on this thread when waking up this fine Sunday morning :lol:

Came for rumours…  instead got in depth cherry picking of the biggest shit holes in England. You take what you can at this point. 

Edited by Stuy_O

1 minute ago, Stuy_O said:

Came for rumours…  instead got in depth cherry picking of the biggest shit holes in England. You take what you can at this point. 

Honestly, I think it’s a matter of time before the football press starts following suit.  PSR has so completely fucked the transfer market that the hacks must be sick as fuck. 

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hope everyone enjoys catching up on this thread when waking up this fine Sunday morning :lol:

Pop in to see any news with my morning pint and get a list of middle England horrors

Screenshot_2024-08-25-11-07-37-701_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Just now, STM said:

Also, you need to take photos quicker because whoever you were taking a picture of has fucked off. :lol:

It was a photo of our new signing 

I would be puzzled if our team had such a had finely tuned and delicate dynamic that there was only one CB in all of world football that could improve us.

That could be a possibility if we were a team of utter galacticos who had won everything and swept all those before them. 
But, there are better and more productive squads that seem to find themselves in a situation where they have a choice of players to attempt to sign and can make compromises.

Given the fact that most people accept Guehi is not even better than Schar (currently) it does seem strange that we are so focused on getting this particular player.