NUFC Transfer Rumours

28 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t rate Elanga at all - absolutely bizarre panic bids if true 

Forest board needs to quit if they turned down £50m for Elanga.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

Forest board needs to quit if they turned down £50m for Elanga.

100%.  I thought they were my favourite board, having paid money for Wood, Shelvey and daft money for Anderson; then they upset me with their 20m for Ulysses nonsense (FFP chicanery or not).  With turning down 50m for Elanga, they're right back on top again

15 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Newcastle's 33-year-old defender Kieran Trippier, who retired from England duty last week, has agreed a deal with Turkish side Eyupspor. (Sportsdigitale - in Turkish)

That's where Shelvey just went isn't it ?

No way we offered 50m for Elanga :lol:

The fact we bid for him at all kinda tells me we do not have a long term plan regarding squad building mind. 

If you like him at 35m when didn’t you offer man united when they sold him for 15m. 

Back off ban. 

the squad building is a mess. I’m pointing the finger at PIF for not setting clear direction and strategy.  

I still go back to last summers spending spree for which I’ll blame on Staveley and Mehrdad as acting owners. It didn’t make that much sense at the time but knowing what we know now - it was a shitshow strategically. An over budget window prioritising some of the wrong positions, with the wrong profile, some Howe style, some Ashworth style. Ended up not following any approach. In their defence - if we had a full Eddie window and a bit of luck, we finish top 5. If we had a full Ashworth window, we are much better positioned for FFP/PSR. 

Didnt  make the hard decisions in January. June was a mess.  The rest of the window was worse.  

I’ve got some questions over Eddie’s influence over transfers. His preference for PL experience is incompatible with our FFP position. But I also think he’s been set aggressive targets so it makes sense he wants low risk signings. Men with PL experience. Not foreign boys with potential. But I believe in his ability to over achieve on the pitch. And that’s the saving grace. As well as having some super talented players. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Back off ban. 

the squad building is a mess. I’m pointing the finger at PIF for not setting clear direction and strategy.  

I still go back to last summers spending spree for which I’ll blame on Staveley and Mehrdad as acting owners. It didn’t make that much sense at the time but knowing what we know now - it was a shitshow strategically. An over budget window prioritising some of the wrong positions, with the wrong profile, some Howe style, some Ashworth style. Ended up not following any approach. In their defence - if we had a full Eddie window and a bit of luck, we finish top 5. If we had a full Ashworth window, we are much better positioned for FFP/PSR. 

Didnt  make the hard decisions in January. June was a mess.  The rest of the window was worse.  

I’ve got some questions over Eddie’s influence over transfers. His preference for PL experience is incompatible with our FFP position. But I also think he’s been set aggressive targets so it makes sense he wants low risk signings. Men with PL experience. Not foreign boys with potential. But I believe in his ability to over achieve on the pitch. And that’s the saving grace. As well as having some super talented players. 

Ban?

Ashworth has to take some of the blame for overspending so badly; £70m was spent on a LB who wasn’t viewed as ready to play by the manager and a winger who was viewed as second choice to the other winger they’d signed only 6 months previous. Even Livramento only played because of major injuries and even that at left back a lot, not his favoured position. 

Regardless of all that, how you can miscalculate £70m in PSR terms is unbelievable. I said in another thread how I think there’s a lot of blaggers in football and people who operate at high levels through other reasons than actual ability. 

To me, looking from the outside, PIF need to seek out someone reliable in the football world and ask them for advice about who’s legit and who’s really a bullshitter deep down, CEO-wise. Then hire a legit, competent, CEO. I’d also say to promote Steve Nickson or just get rid of the DoF role full stop. Let Howe, Nickson and scouts sort out the football decisions, leave the finance to the new CEO /

current chairman.

18 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Ashworth has to take some of the blame for overspending so badly; £70m was spent on a LB who wasn’t viewed as ready to play by the manager and a winger who was viewed as second choice to the other winger they’d signed only 6 months previous. Even Livramento only played because of major injuries and even that at left back a lot, not his favoured position. 

Regardless of all that, how you can miscalculate £70m in PSR terms is unbelievable. I said in another thread how I think there’s a lot of blaggers in football and people who operate at high levels through other reasons than actual ability. 

To me, looking from the outside, PIF need to seek out someone reliable in the football world and ask them for advice about who’s legit and who’s really a bullshitter deep down, CEO-wise. Then hire a legit, competent, CEO. I’d also say to promote Steve Nickson or just get rid of the DoF role full stop. Let Howe, Nickson and scouts sort out the football decisions, leave the finance to the new CEO /

current chairman.

Agreed, though I've never understood why PIF doesn't have full time board representation - I know NUFC is relatively small as an investment vehicle, but the visibility outstrips most of their usual investments.  There are some embarrassing questions now circulating in the national press (some of which the owners have invited with big statements of intent ...)

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed, though I've never understood why PIF doesn't have full time board representation - I know NUFC is relatively small as an investment vehicle, but the visibility outstrips most of their usual investments.  There are some embarrassing questions now circulating in the national press (some of which the owners have invited with big statements of intent ...)

Given the sums they are paying they are putting the trust in the management team they appoint for top dollar to perform.