NUFC Transfer Rumours

Mbuemo I’d take all day. But then you look at the issues we’ve faced this summer, I feel I’d rather see the club go elsewhere. 

Had we been able to get a fee for Almiron/Wilson, then Mbeumo would be great as he would be the 2nd striker too and still allow for another named RW. But that’s two players where it should be £40m summer 2023, likely going summer 2025 for £0. 

6 hours ago, Danh1 said:

This is why I struggle to have any sympathy for Howe when it comes to the summer.

I mean, if it was verified as true, then I would agree.

But we're supposed to believe some gobshite DM journo?  Who was regularly vague and non-committal whilst providing EXCLUSIVES about Guehi during the summer.  Why would you choose to believe him, exactly? 

16 hours ago, KaKa said:

Not surprised by that really.

His age and experience probably makes him one of our more valuable assets that we could let go to raise funds.

I'm not sure how much interest he'll garner at this point though, with his recent long injury layoff and poor form.

I imagine we'd want at least £25 million for him minimum, but not sure if anyone bids that currently.

He should probably join a team that doesn't play such an intense style, as his body doesn't seem to hold up.

Could maybe see him at a West Ham or Fulham.

Can't see many coming in for him for decent money.  Missed most of last season, had recurring/linked injuries.  Came back looking strong and then got injured yet again this season.  Was barely a 2/10 against Brighton.

I really like him and hope he can rediscover his form.  Whether that is so we can get good money for him or he can then start to contribute for us and become a vital part of the team again.  I don't massively mind.  But as it stands, he looks miles off the player he was for us when he first signed and then again in the 4th placed season. 

Unless Mitchell isn't actually changing anything about our recruitment then I would be shocked if the players we are after are:

1) currently successful PL players (unless very young and thus cheaper with huge value gain potential e.g. Dibling)

2) known to anyone in the media 

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Unless Mitchell isn't actually changing anything about our recruitment then I would be shocked if the players we are after are:

1) currently successful PL players (unless very young and thus cheaper with huge value gain potential e.g. Dibling)

Agreed. We'll be looking at the next Mbuemos or Elangas. At £10-15m they wouldn't look like such bad deals.

One thing which is becoming crystal clear is that we can't compete with the cartel clubs for the best in class, proven players. We almost had Tosin but Chelsea stepped in. We wanted Elise but had no chance when all the CL clubs were also in there pitching. Under current spending restrictions imposed by the PL, the only way lure we have is for players who are not proven yet, and we can spend a bit extra in the gamble it pays off. That's how it worked with Isak and Bruno basically.

27 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Only reason I would say we go against that approach is the fact it's the winter window and not the summer depending what the signing is being brought in for immediate starting 11 or not. Also depends on our situation league wise if we need a good second half of the season to save our season or consolidate a certain league place then going abroad may be too much of a gamble. 

Now frustratingly I would say we can't go on paying premiums for players and every player carries risk why not be the club to benefit on the gamble rather than the team paying the 2 or 3 x the original purchase price for a more finished article/gem. 

Is it worth going out and spending 20ish million on someone from the continent who may flop or 40/50m on a prem player who knows the league. In this fake analogy you could in theory sign 2 players for the price of that prem player. 

Edited by nufcjmc

Hopefully we’ll do a bit of both, especially if our ambition is not to just be another Brighton. We need a pipeline of players but we might also want to get someone to take us a leap forward at times. 

The purpose can’t just be churn cheap players to help the club survive, it must be to generate income so we can progress the club. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Only reason I would say we go against that approach is the fact it's the winter window and not the summer depending what the signing is being brought in for immediate starting 11 or not. Also depends on our situation league wise if we need a good second half of the season to save our season or consolidate a certain league place then going abroad may be too much of a gamble. 

Now frustratingly I would say we can't go on paying premiums for players and every player carries risk why not be the club to benefit on the gamble rather than the team paying the e or 3 x the original purchase price for a more finished article/gem. 

Is it worth going out and spending 20ish million on someone from the continent who may flop or 40/50m on a prem player who knows the league. In this fake analogy you could in theory sign 2 players for the price of that prem player. 

In the early days when Man City were bought out they thought nothing of spending money on a 30 year old proven player who had no resale value because PSR wasn't even a consideration. We could land any amount of top class players if we weren't hamstrung by the restrictions brought in since our takeover.

The one bit of tension in the January window that will be interesting to see is what we'll do if we're sitting in the 6th-9th range with a chance at Europe but also obviously needing some help. A couple young players from the continent are unlikely to make an instant impact, but I doubt we'll want to spend a bunch of money (and impact our summer) on an expensive PL player. This gets into the point @The College Dropout has been making about our stated aims of Europe and presumably the expectations of the manager not necessarily being aligned with the required recruitment strategy in our position.

There's probably a needle to thread here if we can find a legitimately high quality player in Europe in the £25-40m bracket (a la Bruno), but a tall order. 

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The one bit of tension in the January window that will be interesting to see is what we'll do if we're sitting in the 6th-9th range with a chance at Europe but also obviously needing some help. A couple young players from the continent are unlikely to make an instant impact, but I doubt we'll want to spend a bunch of money (and impact our summer) on an expensive PL player. This gets into the point @The College Dropout has been making about our stated aims of Europe and presumably the expectations of the manager not necessarily being aligned with the required recruitment strategy in our position.

There's probably a needle to thread here if we can find a legitimately high quality player in Europe in the £25-40m bracket (a la Bruno), but a tall order. 

I agree that our stated aim of Europe has not been matched by our transfer strategy this summer, we are one of a bunch who might get top 6, but probably outsiders. I would need to see what we do in January to confirm it though, since we had the DOF turmoil interfering with transfer strategy this time round. Howe and Mitchell need to be on the same page, and we need to be going after targets who we can actually get over the line.

Hopefully if it's more collaborative going forward (don't want to start the debate again how much at fault was howe this summer transfer wise). 

We need a varied and broad approach don't dismiss loans even without an option. Don't dismiss players 28 if they aren't crazy wages and hit all the boxes. Move outside of just Europe and look at other leagues or championship to find gems. 

Appreciate it's not simple or straight forward as alot of clubs are doing and looking in the same way. 

I love everyone we have signed but as others have pointed out did we maximise the money we had before psr caught up to us? 

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Villa signed Morgan Rogers from the Champ and he’s been a regular starter pretty much ever since. 20+ years ago Jenas gave us a lift off the bench regularly as a sub.  

I don’t think it has to be mutually exclusive. We at bringing on Almiron and starting Murphy.  Adding any talent to the squad will be a bonus imo.  

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Hopefully we’ll do a bit of both, especially if our ambition is not to just be another Brighton. We need a pipeline of players but we might also want to get someone to take us a leap forward at times. 

The purpose can’t just be churn cheap players to help the club survive, it must be to generate income so we can progress the club. 

People balk at the Brighton route but they don’t realise Brightons budget is tiny. A Brighton approach with our budget would be powerful. 

I really like Willock, but I can understand the club willing to entertain offers. He just hasn't been able to hit the heights he has done in the past, obviously injuries have played a huge part in that but I was hoping he would be more impactful when we have seen him recently.

22 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I really like Willock, but I can understand the club willing to entertain offers. He just hasn't been able to hit the heights he has done in the past, obviously injuries have played a huge part in that but I was hoping he would be more impactful when we have seen him recently.

Time to move him on, I'm getting sick of Perma-crocks.

I love our players through and through, but I'd be open to a refresh of the squad with us keeping Isak, Gordon, Bruno, Tonali, Botman, Hall, Tino as key pieces. Obviously there are many more others but I'd be open to some moving of assets to refresh the thing...

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye let’s refresh the squad but keep all the players of saleable value. 

I'm just saying I'd be OK with moving on Barnes, Longstaff, Willock, etc. if it meant we'd be able to get some better balance and different type of players. 

No need to be snarky. 

Edited by Kanji

Starting to come around to the idea that the clubs been mismanaged for the past 3 or 4 windows. Squad is all over the shop. Hindsight is great, especially when the teams performing poorly, but we're little bit screwed. I don't think anyone we brought in, bar the dodgy keeper, is a bad player - but the whole opportunistic transfer approach has left us short in a bunch of key positions, and stacked in others.

21 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Starting to come around to the idea that the clubs been mismanaged for the past 3 or 4 windows. Squad is all over the shop. Hindsight is great, especially when the teams performing poorly, but we're little bit screwed. I don't think anyone we brought in, bar the dodgy keeper, is a bad player - but the whole opportunistic transfer approach has left us short in a bunch of key positions, and stacked in others.

The idea that summer 2023 was a bad window shouldn't even be contentious at this point. That does not mean the players we signed in that window are bad.