NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I’d disagree, it’s much harder to win the league cup imo.

Difficulty of winning it doesn’t come into it tbf - the UEFA Cup was harder to win than the European Cup until relatively recently.  But the European Cup had more prestige. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win the Conference League but it's not a major trophy.

League titles, Champions Leagues and cup competitions like the FA Cup or UEFA Cup I'd say are. The Conference League is more like the League Cup - it's still a trophy at the end of the day, but if you've got high aspirations they don't stop at one of those. 

Although it's obviously a more prestigious trophy the conference league reminds me of that daft pizza cup the mackems won, it's one of them where you don't really want to end up being in it and you end up playing a load of dog and duck type teams ,but if you are in it and have a chance of winning it you may as well take it .  I wouldn't class it as a major trophy though .

Edited by Geogaddi

11 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Although it's obviously a more prestigious trophy the conference league reminds me of that daft pizza cup the mackems won, it's one of them where you don't really want to end up being in it and you end up playing a load of dog and duck type teams ,but if you are in it and have a chance of winning it you may as well take it .  I wouldn't class it as a major trophy though .

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Through to the last 16

Aston Villa (ENG)
Club Brugge (BEL)
Fenerbahçe (TUR)
Fiorentina (ITA)
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
PAOK (GRE)
Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)

Playoffs

Sturm Graz vs Slovan Bratislava
Union SG vs Frankfurt
Olympiacos vs Ferencváros
Molde vs Legia

Servette vs Ludogorets
Real Betis vs Dinamo Zagreb
Ajax vs Bodø/Glimt
Maccabi Haifa vs Gent

Quite a few recognisable teams tbf

34 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win the Conference League but it's not a major trophy.

League titles, Champions Leagues and cup competitions like the FA Cup or UEFA Cup I'd say are. The Conference League is more like the League Cup - it's still a trophy at the end of the day, but if you've got high aspirations they don't stop at one of those. 

The League Cup is a major trophy - it doesn’t have the prestige of other competitions.

The second division isn’t a major trophy.  The Charity Shield isn’t a major trophy

10 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Through to the last 16

Aston Villa (ENG)
Club Brugge (BEL)
Fenerbahçe (TUR)
Fiorentina (ITA)
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
PAOK (GRE)
Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)

Playoffs

Sturm Graz vs Slovan Bratislava
Union SG vs Frankfurt
Olympiacos vs Ferencváros
Molde vs Legia

Servette vs Ludogorets
Real Betis vs Dinamo Zagreb
Ajax vs Bodø/Glimt
Maccabi Haifa vs Gent

Quite a few recognisable teams tbf

Yep, the average football supporter of reasonable vintage should recognise pretty much all of that lot in fairness. 

It's a great competition; obviously nothing like the Intertoto Cup. That a Premier League club/fan would sneer at it is just a demonstration of the disproportionate wealth gap between that league and all the others.  Every English team above the bottom three would stand a chance of reaching the latter stages/winning that tournament, which is a shame really. Hopefully Villa get as hard a draw as possible and slip up because they, by some distance, look to be favourites. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Unfortunately I think if West Ham want him, they will get him. They can afford (fuck this perverse world) much more than us at present. 

Depends more on whether we really want him, and whether he would prefer to stay in the north and play for a big club.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's a great competition; obviously nothing like the Intertoto Cup. That a Premier League club/fan would sneer at it is just a demonstration of the disproportionate wealth gap between that league and all the others.  Every English team above the bottom three would stand a chance of reaching the latter stages/winning that tournament, which is a shame really. Hopefully Villa sack it off in order to go full steam ahead for UCL.

And Villa, if they win it, will end up making a figure not a kick in the arse away from what we did in the CL groups (not that money should be the primary concern), as well as winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe again next year. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

If we qualify for the Conference League - this season is a decent one to me. Would hope we would win it too.

Me too on both counts.  It would mean a likely 7th place finish, which would be an excellent season, especially if we can get on an FA Cup run

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If we qualify for the Conference League - this season is a decent one to me. Would hope we would win it too.

That will hinge entirely on if we can get a midfielder in this window.

Article saying we would try loan him and pay the fee in the summer. I don’t think he’s a bad player, but again it’s more of the same. Would prefer and think we need someone more technical.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Hard pass on expensive premier league players.  

Do find it frustrating how we seem to continually try to shop in the most expensive market despite our FFP troubles.

Do find it frustrating how we seem to continually try to shop in the most expensive market despite our FFP troubles.

Try and temper your frustrations it’s paper talk after all. 

I do hope we don’t climb into our shell though, the Tonali deal being such a disaster might scare them. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Try and temper your frustrations it’s paper talk after all. 

I do hope we don’t climb into our shell though, the Tonali deal being such a disaster might scare them. 

Despite the shit fans give the press, other than signing Isak out the blue, haven’t all our transfers been in the media for weeks before signing ?

Honestly, could get an Onana-esque player for a third of the price on the continent. Don’t see the appeal at all. Premier League hardened? Aye, but his position isn’t the riskiest transition of a role unlike say a Germany based striker. Would rather pay half that for Fofana.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

To be frank, if we knew we were sailing so close to FFP spending so much on Tonali was a bit mad :lol:

To be fair it was likely done on the assumption we'd be doing no business in Jan anyway. Which we still may not. If we had Tonali and even just one extra player not injured I don't think we'd be looking to do anything. 

Despite the shit fans give the press, other than signing Isak out the blue, haven’t all our transfers been in the media for weeks before signing ?

Yeah but they’ve also thrown so much shit at the wall they are bound to get some right.