Harvey Barnes

khay

I've had this discussion here a couple of times before, but I think he's really underrated in terms of assisting goals. His assist to Gordon looked very much like some of those he did at Leicester, and he can put in good deliveries with his left aswell. It's no coincidence that he has a high assist number throughout his carreer, almost as high as his goal count. But some point to his xA and suggest that those number are lying. Just like Leicester had when he was there, we also have effective attacking players to convert from various situations. Against Bournemouth his xA was 0.31, but his assist was brilliant. If we didn't see the assist and would judge purely based on the numbers, we would assume that he was lucky to get an assist that game, and that the finisher should get most of the credit for the goal. This is small scale, but I'm convinced that this translates to many of his assists at Leicester aswell.

And just to add, he will probably also make some weird choices and put in some headless crosses at times, not denying that. But just like with his finishing, he has his moments where he creates a decent chance from a tricky situation.

Edited by Erikse

18 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

The best thing I like about him is how direct he is..either he is going to have pop at goal or he is going to move forward with the ball. He isn't going to dilly dally with the ball or going to take it sideways.  

He's no ASM like.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

He's no ASM like.

It's actually kind of funny how different they are. It's almost as if Howe just went "I'm sick and tired of these little magic tricks, give me the most direct winger you can find".:lol:

Just now, Lotus said:

He’s like Jota but perhaps just a level or so below. 

Better finisher, not as good movement and link up play but still very good movement and I think his link up play is actually underrated as well

2 hours ago, The Bonk said:

You’ve had a bit of agenda against him since we signed him. This is actually the most praise you’ve given Barnes. [emoji38]

My one argument against your criticism or observation is that he’s just as good as Wilson and Gordon at being in scoring positions and has more assists to his game than anyone bar Gordon, who played a sumptuous back heel to Murphy yesterday for his chance.

You take good care as well, TCD. [emoji38]

No agenda. He’ll score goals in the PL. He’s talented, has his limitations. I just don’t think his profile was the right one to spend £45m and likely £80k+ p/w. But lad has ability.  

If you look at his goals in YouTube. Loads of them are similar. There’s a Harvey Barnes zone.  Wilson’s a proper poacher, he’ll sniff out the tap in, follow up every rebound etc.  I’ve not seen that from poachers instinct from Barnes consistently. I don’t think Son has it either but he’s a brilliant finisher. Son has every finish in the book drilled down. While I think Mo Salah does. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No agenda. He’ll score goals in the PL. He’s talented, has his limitations. I just don’t think his profile was the right one to spend £45m and likely £80k+ p/w. But lad has ability.  

If you look at his goals in YouTube. Loads of them are similar. There’s a Harvey Barnes zone.  Wilson’s a proper poacher, he’ll sniff out the tap in, follow up every rebound etc.  I’ve not seen that from poachers instinct from Barnes consistently. I don’t think Son has it either but he’s a brilliant finisher. Son has every finish in the book drilled down. While I think Mo Salah does. 

So he's like a Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard.

I mean in terms of 'the zone' before anyone loses their mind! 🤣

Edited by Joe1984

22 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Jota is pretty good in there air too. He’s also proved himself at a higher level. Not that Barnes couldn’t, just the opportunity hasn’t come up.

Aye and Jota has brilliant movement in the box. Great in the air, uses both feet. Jota isn’t much taller than Barnes and is shorter than Gordon but he’s a massive danger in the air.  

Going back to Son. He looks a decent size but he’s not a factor like that physically from headers and such either. 

1 minute ago, Joe1984 said:

So he's like a Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard.

I mean in terms of 'the zone' before anyone loses their mind! 🤣

Imo Lampard had that great timing and knack of being in the right place at the right time. Gerrard just a massively talented player. He could do what he wanted almost in terms of scoring. Kinda like Rooney - I can’t think of a typical Rooney goal, he scored all types.  

Players like Henry and Mbappe score all types too. But the classic Henry is the one from the left hand channel 1v1 open body push to the far corner.  Mbappe is the same thing but he turns his foot last minute to whip it near post. Robben was famous for getting to his spot and whipping it around the defender to the far post finesse style. Barnes zones are similar to Robbens 

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He really is, love that about Wilson. The little you see him on the pitch, he's hunting for goals and is much better than Isak holding up the ball in midfield.

What I love about Barnes is his ability to create as well, which I don't think Son has, but Salah does and he's been one of the best players in the world the last 5+ years. Anyways, I think Barnes can raise his current ceiling as he's shown glimpses of potential this season and tail end of last.

6 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

He really is, love that about Wilson. The little you see him on the pitch, he's hunting for goals and is much better than Isak holding up the ball in midfield.

Wilson isn’t half as good at making something happen with the ball

played to his feet, which is what we want, surely? Feel like it’s futile even discussing Wilson at this point. He’s still here because no one wants a player who is injured more than fit.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Wilson isn’t half as good at making something happen with the ball

played to his feet, which is what we want, surely? Feel like it’s futile even discussing Wilson at this point. He’s still here because no one wants a player who is injured more than fit.

As Isak? Nope, you're right, but Wilson is much more physical with CB's and can manufacture space in those physical battles for our wingers that Isak doesn't. Aye, Wilson is here due to his injury record, but at least there's output when he's on the pitch. Wilson will be an interesting one to replace when his contract runs out. Osula seems to be much more in the Isak mould.

12 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I don’t think Wilson’s the player he was. How could he be? 

He‘ll be the same Wilson he always was and is, he’ll still score double figures if he gets in 20 games this season.

I’d be surprised if he does like. He’s still a fantastic finisher but I think the area he’ll have dropped off on is his physicality and gaining that yard of space. He’d be fine scoring goals if we we had a stretched game but if a team is lining up as a low block I think he’d struggle now 

• 2 weeks later...

Was fannying about with a few stats for my fpl team and although it's only been a few games, Barnes has one of the highest expected goal involvements (goals and assists) per 90. 

Again only a few games, but it being per 90 suggests consistency over the total, which can be skewed by one match.

Weirdly the player who's right at the top after the obvious one is Garnacho, but ETH keeps not playing him or taking him off. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Was fannying about with a few stats for my fpl team and although it's only been a few games, Barnes has one of the highest expected goal involvements (goals and assists) per 90. 

Again only a few games, but it being per 90 suggests consistency over the total, which can be skewed by one match.

Weirdly the player who's right at the top after the obvious one is Garnacho, but ETH keeps not playing him or taking him off. 

I've added him to my FPL team based on this post (And the fact Odegaard is injured), so that expected goals involvement is about to go way down :lol: