Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

16 hours ago, huss9 said:

first visit to the Etihad and not sure what all the fuss is with the stadium.

more modern and shiny but i still think ours looks better from the outside.

and once we got in the away end it was no better than what we have in the gallowgate.

maybe you have to be in a home section to appreciate it.

I live in Manchester, agree that St James Park, just the way it forms a part of the local townscape makes it a superior stadium, particularly since the place got a clean.

However I think when people plaudit Etihad and the surrounding campus, it is in comparison to Old Trafford which has become a dump. Truly one of the worst well known stadium in the world.

There's pressure but apart from a few muppets we're under no illusions about where we're at as a club re: seeing our long term future and Howe's needing to remain tightly together for the foreseeable. Last thing we need to do is let us overachieving last season unbalance our project.

Dias played [emoji38]

Watched it back. Intriguing game if a bit dull; however, City managed it expertly. Watching them form a back 5 on multiple occasions against us says it all about our progress. Terrific gameplan - Pep really is a master regardless of the talent at his disposal.

We had some really decent half opportunities in both halves where a bit more composure could've seen us properly in. We picked up some great spots in those 'half spaces' but just struggled with touches/passes. Isak not being on it as an outlet was a problem as well but he was very well marshalled. City have a great mix of defenders who are physical but also technical.

I still like Almiron but he does stick out in games like these. I'd be very surprised if, come the end of the season, Barnes isn't our starting LW with Gordon on the right.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

20 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

I really hope you guys thrash the bin dippers this Sunday, however the denial in some posters on here, City had Stones, Dias, B Silva, KDB all out, we also played in sweltering Greece in a midweek cup final and we still controlled this game and you didn’t lay a glove on us.

Can I say you’re game this Sunday is a big game for Eddie Howe without people getting on my back, for me he can’t afford another defeat against Liverpool like last season, when they schooled you at SJP.

Man City starting lineup market value: €799m

Newcastle starting lineup market value: €398m

27 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

I really hope you guys thrash the bin dippers this Sunday, however the denial in some posters on here, City had Stones, Dias, B Silva, KDB all out, we also played in sweltering Greece in a midweek cup final and we still controlled this game and you didn’t lay a glove on us.

Can I say you’re game this Sunday is a big game for Eddie Howe without people getting on my back, for me he can’t afford another defeat against Liverpool like last season, when they schooled you at SJP.

Who the fuck you talking to like that?

21 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

I don't usually respond to the obvious baiting by opposition fans on here but disappointingly you managed to hook me this morning. 

Dias played, did his best crying act twice to try and get Gordon sent off.

Don't think anyone is in denial on here, seems agreed across the fanbase we didn't lay a glove and have a long way to go to compete against a pep team still on that showing. 

Finally, Liverpool far from schooled us, they had about 3 attacks from memory, scored 2 goals and got Pope sent off with an unfortunate error. We were clearly the more dominant team on the day even with 10 men and hit the crossbar twice and Wilson also missed from point blank range. 
Unfortunately it was right in the middle of a period where we struggling badly for goals and not converting chances. 

Dunno why every opposition fan eventually has to resort to stupid baiting on here to get reactions but congrats you got a bite from this morning so enjoy. 

23 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Eddie has earned a lot of trust and regard from our supporters for the way he has handled the job. He took a team that looked like it was going to be relegated with about 20 points, out of the danger zone, up to mid-table, and then took the team to the Champions League, all within 20 months. We recruited well but in general not from the top end of the market, and it all represents a massive over-achievement on the resources available to him.

The idea that getting defeated by Liverpool would trigger some sort of crisis for him is utter rubbish.

17 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Why pressure on Howe? You won’t find anyone who actually supports our club saying that? Thought you were alright when you first popped up, beginning to look like a troll now.

Not trolling mate, just saying the pressure is on Howe to get something from this fixture and everyone on here has either called me a troll, fuck off, let’s talk about how corrupt City is etc

Just now, Maineblue said:

Not trolling mate, just saying the pressure is on Howe to get something from this fixture and everyone on here has either called me a troll, fuck off, let’s talk about how corrupt City is etc

No more so than had we won at your place.

57 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

You obviously didn't watch the game otherwise you would have known that Dias played :lol:

44 minutes ago, Manxst said:

So….let’s discuss your bent and financially corrupt club…

So defensive, all because I have the gall to say there is pressure on Howe in his next game.

We have discussed City to death on here, we just have to wait until the outcome now.

I think maineblue's characterisation of the game is largely correct. They were down some big players, they didn't use (or have to use) any subs. No meaningful shots on goal.

It felt a little bit like when Man Utd got beat 2-0 in the Champions League final by Barcelona where it was artificially close.

But there's no pressure on Howe, or no imperative to get a result against Liverpool. That's just complete nonsense from a Citeh fan hoping we can make a more prominent title rival in Liverpool stumble :lol: We've gone from relegation zone to Champions League.