AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I do kind of admire TCD's commitment to continually arguing/debating the point in a weird way. 99% of the time if I make a comment and someone counters that remark, I go to reply, get 30 seconds into to typing and think "Fuck this, I can't be assed with this", so to see someone the complete opposite it kind of inspiring :lol:

Aye. I’m in the same boat. I know next to nowt about football, started getting into it a bit more since I bought BT Sports for the CL like. People on here seem to know the ins and outs of the game, talking about double pivots and fuck knows whatever else. Nowt wrong with that at all like. 

TCD clearly knows his stuff, it’s just the way he delivers his posts that rub people up the wrong way I think. 

11 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aye. I’m in the same boat. I know next to nowt about football, started getting into it a bit more since I bought BT Sports for the CL like. People on here seem to know the ins and outs of the game, talking about double pivots and fuck knows whatever else. Nowt wrong with that at all like. 

TCD clearly knows his stuff, it’s just the way he delivers his posts that rub people up the wrong way I think. 

Feel similar, I read one of the posts earlier and one part of it, took me 4 reads of the sentence to even comprehend roughly what was meant. I want to be better and improve me knowledge though.

It's a little hard to believe that an away 0-0 in the CL seemed to create about 35 pages of division and back and forth as to the merits of it. Quite strange. In a nutshell, brilliant result, we could have been better with the ball, caused our own problems in the first half with some sloppiness, played much better second without threatening much about covers it for me like :blush:

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Feel similar, I read one of the posts earlier and one part of it, took me 4 reads of the sentence to even comprehend roughly what was meant. I want to be better and improve me knowledge though.

Aye I know which post you’re on about. I inboxed the lad and called him a wanker. 

11 hours ago, Pata said:

Criticising someone for being too much into football on a football forum is a complete freak and absolute weirdo behaviour. No one is forced to read anyone else's posts. :lol:

This is part of the problem 

Not a single person has a problem with or criticised 'someone being too much into football' and that sort of doubles down on the extremely visible superiority complex on display by certain posters. This forum is full of people who are obsessed with football, that should be self-evident.

I did a longer post that went into more detail that probably isn't helpful tbh, but this is primarily more a problem with attitude, where the content doesn't make up for it. 

51 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not a single person has a problem with or criticised 'someone being too much into football' and that sort of doubles down on the extremely visible superiority complex on display by certain posters. This forum is full of people who are obsessed with football, that should be self-evident.

I did a longer post that went into more detail that probably isn't helpful tbh, but this is primarily more a problem with attitude, where the content doesn't make up for it. 

This is all in people's heads, and it's their own personal problems imo. You'll get called names because you talk about football and various ideas about the game.

15 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

"Football's a simple game" a pundit will say whose management career ended by 55. And it trickles to the fans. "Why are you talking about the opposition getting into a halfspace? Just enjoy the game!!!!" not realising that some of us enjoy analysing the game. Critique is seen as dissent.

I think that quote was originally Bill Shankly’s - a manager who I understand had a reasonable managerial career

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is all in people's heads, and it's their own personal problems imo. You'll get called names because you talk about football and various ideas about the game.

It's funny because this post shows just how self-evident it is that they're absolutely right :lol:

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think that quote was originally Bill Shankly’s - a manager who I understand had a reasonable managerial career

And it is.

But people - specifically Graeme Souness use that phrase to dismiss talking about ideas in the game. Which is a large part of why his management career ended in his early 50's.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And it is.

But people - specifically Graeme Souness use that phrase to dismiss talking about ideas in the game. Which is a large part of why his management career ended in his early 50's.

I thought that his career ended because he was basically shit at his job. Won about a third of his matches in charge across his career. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

So many posters take the piss out of modern terms and stats that I honestly see it as pretty much being bullied for being too big of a football nerd. I’m sure most of the posts are done in jest but it’s not always easy to figure out the tone in a written form.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

So many posters take the piss out of modern terms and stats that I honestly see it as pretty much being bullied for being too big of a football nerd. I’m sure most of the posts are done in jest but it’s not always easy to figure out the tone in a written form.

A lot of football analysis, stats and terms are valuable, but some modern terms are pretentious reinventions of existing ones that are only really used to make people feel smarter or their opinions more valid imo. 

And as for the 'bullying' - I wouldn't call it that, but I also think it's a bit blinkered to think of that as a one way thing. Posters regularly get told they 'don't know ball' and are basically thick in the so called 'sharing and discussing' arena. Not to mention, the last time I challenged your bookies' odds based take on Liverpool's run in, you brought up my country's failing education system. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

I thought that his career ended because he was basically shit at his job. Won about a third of his matches in charge across his career. 

And why was he shit at his job?

10 minutes ago, Pata said:

If people don't want to talk about football. I ignore them. I'll keep talking about football and they can do whatever it is they want. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not to mention, the last time I challenged your bookies' odds based take on Liverpool's run in, you brought up my country's failing education system. :lol:

You did fail hard that day iirc. ;)

I was called an absolute weirdo with zero life and a wrong’un yesterday for using xG and betting odds. It honestly gets tiring and those stats/terms are pretty far from torso deception in the bullshit scale.

Just now, Pata said:

You did fail hard that day iirc. ;)

I was called an absolute weirdo with zero life and a wrong’un yesterday for using xG and betting odds. It honestly gets tiring and those stats/terms are pretty far from torso deception in the bullshit scale.

Not at all, the model was wrong and corrected itself when it looked like Liverpool might do it. 

But yeah, suck it up basically. I don't disagree with the point about xG, but if you're gonna outright call people thick, from a failing education system, and akin to a flat earther, then you're absolutely fair game and deserve everything you get. 

Did a search of the phrase "know ball".

I used it when talking with LFEE who described James Maddison as "a more mobile Shelvey" who, when he was at Norwich LFEE wouldn't have touched with a barge pole. I can admit - that was a cheap and reductive comment. I didn't have time for a proper response, so just said something cheeky. I wanted to say Maddison is a fantastically talented footballer and if he had joined straight from Norwich in 2018 or whatever it was, he would've been our best player. For someone not to rate him at all as a footballer.... I just don't see it. Off the ball he has weaknesses, sure but he's a fantastic footballer to watch and is effective.

Since that interaction with LFEE (who is a good lad, the comment wasn't meant as a personal dig) I've not used it to talk about anyone else on this forum.

But KI saying  "Posters regularly get told they 'don't know ball'" is not true. I've used it once about another poster. Nobody else has said it about other posters.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The quote may well have been Shankley's and for the likes of him, Clough, Revie, Paisley of the old guard football probably was simple. 

Any subject is simple to geniuses, tbf

I get TCD's point if he meant these former manager pundits on sports media now who were relatively shit but still come out with the "simple game" schtick

The xG means absolutely nothing if they don't score though. If we had absolutely battered Milan but didn't score, no ones take away would've been "Disappointing to come away with a draw. Happy to take that xG into the next game though. Phowoaahhhhh"

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not at all, the model was wrong and corrected itself when it looked like Liverpool might do it. 

But yeah, suck it up basically. I don't disagree with the point about xG, but if you're gonna outright call people thick, from a failing education system, and akin to a flat earther, then you're absolutely fair game and deserve everything you get. 

Failing to admit you’re never wrong has connections with the superiority complex you mentioned earlier.

Xg does mean something though. Within context.

If the performances were reversed. Yes, I would be disappointed with the draw. I would've taken it before the game but based on how things played out... we should've had one of the greatest results in our history. And if we played like that at Sheffield United, we would win the game comfortably. I would've been delighted aye.

Imagine going to the San Siro and Milan having 1 shot on target in the 94th minute!

Edited by The College Dropout