Newcastle United 4-1 Paris Saint-Germain (04/10/23)

Disco

35 minutes ago, bigfella said:

I only watched it on TV, but everything about it reminded me of the Barcelona game in '97, which I WAS at.

Hopefully, unlike back in the '90s, just a taste of things to come.

I was fully expecting a PSG 2nd and a a brutal last few minutes at 3-1.

Were in the exact same position in the group now too. With the seemingly weakest team ahead PSV/Dortmund.

Cue two Dalglishianly pointlessly negative performances against them.

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

I only watched it on TV, but everything about it reminded me of the Barcelona game in '97, which I WAS at.

I am sure things will be more regular now. 

15 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Quite right to be! They’re getting steam rolled :indi:

Isn’t it mad how we just rocked up with Dan Burn and Longstaff in our XI and just totally dismantled France’s top gun in our own back yard like nowt was the matter?

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Isn’t it mad how we just rocked up with Dan Burn and Longstaff in our XI and just totally dismantled France’s top gun in our own back yard like nowt was the matter?

Yeah it was a beautiful thing! Can’t wait for Dortmund. The crowd will be even more pumped. If that’s even possible :indi:

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

I was fully expecting a PSG 2nd and a a brutal last few minutes at 3-1.

Were in the exact same position in the group now too. With the seemingly weakest team ahead PSV/Dortmund.

Cue two Dalglishianly pointlessly negative performances against them.

I was expecting the same. I also thought it was written in stars but Schar and the boys have different ideas.

2 hours ago, bigfella said:

I was at both and there was definitely similarities. 

For me the Barcelona one edges it in terms of pure atmosphere, but maybe I’m slightly biased as I was quite young at the time, and that felt like nothing I’d ever experienced before, so I’m not sure anything will ever personally beat that in my mind.

However, as I said last week, the experience of walking into the concourse 45 mins before ko, will stay with me for a long time. Can’t ever remember feeling energy like that within the outer confines of a stadium. Like derby day x10.

Another big difference was that I kind of had a realistic belief that we could beat PSG. Even though I was young when we played Barca, and generally expected us to win every game off the back of the previous two seasons, our start to that season had been fairly horrible, Shearer had a long term injury, and if memory serves we’d lost at home miserably to Wimbledon the Saturday before. No one realistically expected anything other than a defeat.

You’re absolutely right though, this could just be the start. As incredible as last week was, imagine a QF or SF against Real Madrid!

I’ll stop now before I get carried away 😬

10 hours ago, SteV said:

I was at both and there was definitely similarities. 

For me the Barcelona one edges it in terms of pure atmosphere, but maybe I’m slightly biased as I was quite young at the time, and that felt like nothing I’d ever experienced before, so I’m not sure anything will ever personally beat that in my mind.

However, as I said last week, the experience of walking into the concourse 45 mins before ko, will stay with me for a long time. Can’t ever remember feeling energy like that within the outer confines of a stadium. Like derby day x10.

Another big difference was that I kind of had a realistic belief that we could beat PSG. Even though I was young when we played Barca, and generally expected us to win every game off the back of the previous two seasons, our start to that season had been fairly horrible, Shearer had a long term injury, and if memory serves we’d lost at home miserably to Wimbledon the Saturday before. No one realistically expected anything other than a defeat.

You’re absolutely right though, this could just be the start. As incredible as last week was, imagine a QF or SF against Real Madrid!

I’ll stop now before I get carried away 😬

That was a strange time for me, after the euphoria of Keegan, and dalglish seemingly steadying the ship (although wins against spurs and Leeds 7-1, 3-0 suggest the team was back on track before KK departed) there were signs of genuine concern going into our first champions League adventure. Crazy to think there years before then finishing 3rd and 2nd you only got uefa cup football. Dalglish had really started the wrecking ball process and I remember being at the Wimbledon match and thinking wed went from the most devastating forward line to a team that could hardly muster an opportunity against Wimbledon. 

We managed to dust ourselves down for the huge Barcelona encounter but again it was the remnants of KKs team that give us the result, the likes of Tino, rob lee, Gillespie, bez batty and Stevie Watson absolutely outstanding. Of course tino was the next dalglish victim, followed by Bez who had stepped up to be our joint top scorer from LB,  scoring some absolutely crucial goals in the champions league despite I think just one goal for Newcastle before that. Sometimes you wonder if dalglish was paid to send us back 10 years. 

I can't get enough content of that game, tbf. Just to feel the energy and emotion. Some, truly, beautiful moments.

Notwithstanding I've no idea why anyone watches all the youtube bellends whilst they, actually, talk you through a game you can watch on tv, in the pub or listen to on the radiogram I've watched a few "highlights" vids. Just for interest, obvs.

PSV Fans was a decent watch apart from the scouse kid, lad [emoji38]

That speccy Manure dweeb was ok as well. At the end he started coming out with the usual, small time club, trope saying "Newcastle fans, go and buy the DVD.....etc etc" but, I think, corrected himself mid-flight, acknowledging what a great night it was for us. How, perhaps there'll be many more and we'll look back at this game with fondness.

As someone who had the 5-1 vhs, Albert special, I have to say I'd buy the DVD [emoji38] 

In fact, is there anywhere to watch the cunt again, right NOW!!!!?

Stupid thing is, it's not even that long ago that I was comparably buzzing after a match, cos that Spurs game last season was absolutely iconic too. I'm not saying it was more special (it wasn't; PSG will be remembered with the same generational weight as Barca/Howay 5-0); I'm just saying that this era is bloody littered with truly amazing moments. It's just staggering how good life is as a NUFC fan when you compare it to the abject misery of October 6th 2021.