Bournemouth 2-0 Newcastle United (11/11/23)

Yorkie

I'm not sure why but this one still rankles even though it shouldn't due to obvious context. We definitely changed our tactics to reduce the press and sit more mid but it somehow felt like the most open we've been all season. I think we all could've easily guessed the last 30 would be rough going but I feel senior players could've calmed things down to help get us a foothold in the game in the first 45/hour. Lots of rushed & over-ambitious passes leading to counters. I think Miggy going off will have contributed to a dropping of heads too, like.

We gave the ball away criminally all game really. I’m surprised we aren’t capable of passing it about when necessary. 

Of course that also needs the legs to get into space and the technical ability to control in tight areas, both of which were lacking in that team. 

The problem was the midfield. Off the ball they looked uncoordinated and sluggish. On it, the defence bypassed Miley to get the ball into Willock and Longstaff, but both looked exhausted. It didn't help Joelinton really struggled up top too. Everything was coming straight back downfield.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We gave the ball away criminally all game really. I’m surprised we aren’t capable of passing it about when necessary. 

Of course that also needs the legs to get into space and the technical ability to control in tight areas, both of which were lacking in that team. 

Strangely, Trippier was the worst of the lot for it and he's usually our most composed player on the ball along with Bruno. I actually thought Lascelles was very good at finding decent passes out on the day. It should drive home just how important Bruno is, tbh - he's a master at helping is get a grip of games when being pressed or generally when we're under pressure. He's also pretty top notch when it comes to winning his battles and territory.

On 13/11/2023 at 09:24, Gallowgate Toon said:

I'm not sure why but this one still rankles even though it shouldn't due to obvious context. We definitely changed our tactics to reduce the press and sit more mid but it somehow felt like the most open we've been all season. I think we all could've easily guessed the last 30 would be rough going but I feel senior players could've calmed things down to help get us a foothold in the game in the first 45/hour. Lots of rushed & over-ambitious passes leading to counters. I think Miggy going off will have contributed to a dropping of heads too, like.

Too many longstanding senior players are carried by our genuine class performers. Take Bruno, Wilson, Isak and Gordon out of the side and it's not that surprising that the oldies revert to Bruce-era form.