Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think I might have written on this thread somewhere during the game, but Pope’s ostentatious time-wasting doesn’t really help - we were punished by Liverpool last season under similar circumstances.  That type of shithousing just leads to the referees adding ridiculous amounts of stoppage time on - all to delay a goal kick by about ten seconds.  The club need to pack it in. 

Load of shite.  Your patter that is.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Feels a lot less controversial after watching this:

He got it wrong, the VAR was also in the World Cup final and probably his mate. Also missed the "ball going towards goal" thing with Miley.

Think there's a chance he made the call to not embarrass his mate who made an error at VAR, which is obviously still fucked up.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Agree with BrownBottle. 8 minutes was absurd and a disgrace from the officials but we really don’t need to be trying to eke out an extra five seconds on every single goal kick

You know nowt about the modern game then.  It's not just about "pinching" another few seconds.  It's all about trying to disrupt the opposition whilst they are in the ascendancy.  And believe me, they were battering us for the last 15/20 minutes.  All teams do it, stop having a go at Pope (who was excellent by the way).

Guest reefatoon

The point about Livramento’s arm not being in a natural position is bollocks like.

Look at this picture and just how many players arms are in the same position.

The PSG number 9’s arm is exactly the same FFS.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0fe28222b569cfba23a77e845b0b70f.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

You know nowt about the modern game then.  It's not just about "pinching" another few seconds.  It's all about trying to disrupt the opposition whilst they are in the ascendancy.  And believe me, they were battering us for the last 15/20 minutes.  All teams do it, stop having a go at Pope (who was excellent by the way).

No, I think we understand it.  But it’s cartoonishly OTT when we do it - and it didn’t disrupt PSG at all.  Nothing changed about the onslaught. 

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Thanks Rod, as always it’s a pleasure. 

Did we disrupt them last night in the second half? Have a check on my posts in the Nick Pope thread for my feelings on Pope. Enjoy your Sauvignon Blanc 

Just now, gbandit said:

Did we disrupt them last night in the second half? Have a check on my posts in the Nick Pope thread for my feelings on Pope. Enjoy your Sauvignon Blanc 

Pope was MOTM for me too, tbh.  But I’m not changing my mind re the OTT time-wasting.  

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, I think we understand it.  But it’s cartoonishly OTT when we do it - and it didn’t disrupt PSG at all.  Nothing changed about the onslaught. 

The opposition were apoplectic.  Of course our shithousery got to them.  They were absolutely desperate towards the end.  They were even appealing for nonsensical hand balls ........... bastards!

Edited by Rod

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

How do you know I'm on the Sauvignon Blanc?  I'm worried.

Just now, Rod said:

The opposition were apoplectic.  Of course our shithousery got to them.  They were absolutely desperate towards the end.  They even were appealing for nonsensical hand balls ........... bastards!

Honestly mate, they were winding themselves up as much as owt else.  Their profligacy in front of goal was hilarious.  Laughed my head off every time Fabian Ruiz lined himself for another pisspoor long ranger.  

7 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

The point about Livramento’s arm not being in a natural position is bollocks like.

Look at this picture and just how many players arms are in the same position.

The PSG number 9’s arm is exactly the same FFS.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0fe28222b569cfba23a77e845b0b70f.jpeg

I’m not convinced it was a handball either - but proximity to the ball plays a role in where a player’s hands are.  You’re not likely to worry about handball if you’re ten yards away - you’ve got plenty of time to move your arms away from the ball

Our goal kicks are hardly any worse than other teams when they are leading.  But apparently we invented time wasting and the dark arts last season. So we seem to be under heavy scrutiny from refs and opposing teams alike. 

A few seconds longer than a usual GK here and there does not mean we should have had 8 mins stoppage time. There is no justifying where they plucked that from. 4-5 minutes at most. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m not convinced it was a handball either - but proximity to the ball plays a role in where a player’s hands are.  You’re not likely to worry about handball if you’re ten yards away - you’ve got plenty of time to move your arms away from the ball

Also, something Eddie alluded to, was the fact Livramento and every other player in the photo shot were sprinting towards our goal.  Sprinting meaning your legs and ARMS are pumping.  Basically his arms were in a normal position for that scenario.

24 minutes ago, Rod said:

Also, something Eddie alluded to, was the fact Livramento and every other player in the photo shot were sprinting towards our goal.  Sprinting meaning your legs and ARMS are pumping.  Basically his arms were in a normal position for that scenario.

I don’t think it was handball either

26 minutes ago, Rod said:

You needed Eddie's remarks to know how legs and arms work when running?

Edited by Pata

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Every single Pundit, Talksport, average fan of other teams. Everyone can see it wasn't a penalty. There is no way "the best referee in the world" looked at those replays and genuinely made a mistake. It's not possible, it was so clear cut that it wasn't a penalty. The Qataris paid the referees off because they can't stand to be embarrassed by Saudis. They already have history for bribing football officials.

Yeah I hate to go along with the conspiracy stuff, but even the fact VAR is only supposed to intervene when a mistake had been made, not re-ref every decision... I think it's even more clear in slow motion that it isn't a pen. You could understand if he had a poor view and awarded the pen (which he correctly didn't) 

But how on earth he ended up changing it... I thought other than that he reffed the game well, and remember in the world cup final he was great.. This just stands out so much to he incompetence