Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

Not having the conspiracy stuff at all.
Why not give a penalty for the Gordon/Hakimi incident? That wasn’t a pen either, IMO. But far more obvious than this and could have passed as being a soft one and swept under the rug. Even the Miley handball would have been more of a pen than the one they actually gave. 

Just sound like Arsenal fans saying it’s a conspiracy and like we’re hard done by compared to other clubs. Bit small time, really.  

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Our goal kicks are hardly any worse than other teams when they are leading.  But apparently we invented time wasting and the dark arts last season. So we seem to be under heavy scrutiny from refs and opposing teams alike. 

A few seconds longer than a usual GK here and there does not mean we should have had 8 mins stoppage time. There is no justifying where they plucked that from. 4-5 minutes at most. 

It's really hard to understand.  In that last 45 minutes there were no goal celebration delays.  We made no substitutions to justify added time (granted PSG did, but they did them in a tearing hurry.)  No stoppages for VAR checks. No lengthy injury stoppages -- no stretchers brought out. Even if you assess 10 seconds each for delayed goal kicks, we didn't take anywhere near 48 goal kicks in 45 minutes. Seems so random.

Edited by GideonShandy

What is the natural position of the arm when you are running? Unless you are participating in the Monty Python skit "Twit of the year" it's right where everybody's arm was in the still screenshots. Who runs the pitch with their arms glued to their sides? I understand when you go for a block with your arms out but that?

Boooooooo.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The eight minutes were a fucking joke. The odd bit of dawdling hardly justified that. Until what time of night would they have been playing had there actually been a few stoppages? Joke. 

3 minutes in the Man united game last night, 6 goals, 5 different rounds of subs across both teams. We didn't even make a sub.

5 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

3 minutes in the Man united game last night, 6 goals, 5 different rounds of subs across both teams. We didn't even make a sub.

Sickens me honestly. The 8 minutes pisses me off more than the penalty itself because without that there is no fucking penalty. 

Surely we can ask UEFA to justify that? It's disgusting. 

8 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not having the conspiracy stuff at all.
Why not give a penalty for the Gordon/Hakimi incident? That wasn’t a pen either, IMO. But far more obvious than this and could have passed as being a soft one and swept under the rug. Even the Miley handball would have been more of a pen than the one they actually gave. 

Just sound like Arsenal fans saying it’s a conspiracy and like we’re hard done by compared to other clubs. Bit small time, really.  

I'm not really too fussed on the conspiracy side of things. I'm disinclined towards it for the reasons you said, but I'm not proudly anti conspiratorial either - we know it's been corrupted in the past, and it would be more weird if this incredibly lucrative, unpredictable business run by underpaid administrators wasn't corrupt. It's true though that there's certainly no way they could have confidently relied upon a ball hitting an elbow deep in injury time. And to some extent I think the conversation distracts from the core problem of VAR - corrupt or not, it's ruining the game.

With all that said, it's plausible that the corruption bidding hit the right price in the last few minutes of normal time. Why pay if you genuinely expect to win the proper way for most of a match? So the refereeing continues in an impartial fashion, lending credibility to the overall game, until a message comes through on the right channel saying 'ok, do what you can for this price. If you succeed, this is the bonus payment". Such a method adds deniability while also explaining a mystery 8 minutes and nonsense handball.

I get what Clarey is doing but I don't think that call is given 20 minutes earlier. The penalty shout was borderline and wouldn't have been overturned if the ref had given it, and I think that, along with the Miley shout and flow of the game, just left VAR feeling they had to give something.

There was an obvious sense of injustice from PSG given the 2 VAR denials and the 1-on-1s they kept missing which I think fed into the officials, hence 8 minutes added on and ultimately just handing them a point.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think this would have been some devious plot they came up with, more just the way the game was going would have subconsciously nudged them.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I was more shaken by this than the Liverpool result, as this would have been one of the greatest results in the club's recent history and would have put us in the driving seat to qualify for the next round of the competition. To have that taken a way by a referee in the 95th minute is as cruel as it gets.

Everything about the decision was honking. From the reason it was given, to the lack of time and attention the referee gave it at the monitor, to the lack of consistency regarding accidental handball throughout the game. I can only think he felt under the cosh to give it or he'd have had the conviction to stick with his original, correct decision.

:lol: Apparently we're on the shit list of a PSG fan who only started following the sport a year ago and of course there's a gooner goober ready and waiting on their knees to slurp their hoop.

To know that we've got these clubs backs up so much has finally cheered me up a little bit from the result.

Arsenal fans expected us to come out SWINGING about VAR ourselves in a united effort. Howe is apparently a smug twat, we're being protected etc. etc. That's their ire.

You've got to question how these people actually live in everyday life. They're all like Ty from AFTV, remembering every single tiny thing and holding grudges for decades. He's on videos still referencing poor reffing decisions from 2004 ffs [emoji38] 

Love it that they are all rattled. It shows they are worried.

The gall of some of the 'fans' of the traditional big clubs to be moaning about decisions going against them or seemingly against them, whilst having been so protected and favoured for years is a hoot. Bunch of entitled, plastic cnuts in the main.

Hope they eat themselves with bitterness. Couldn't happen to a worse set of fuckers than PSG 'fans' in particular.

:indi:

Just thinking about it. Mbappe didn't look like a standout player for them at all in these 2 legs. Maybe we just defended well against him by doubling up, and Trippier played really well. But I wonder if Mbappe is just not all that motivated to play for them. I've seen him at his best where you just can't defend against him.

Edited by Erikse