FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Howay man, anyone putting him under pressure is an idiot 

I said under pressure, not in danger of losing his job. For me he gets another 18 months to prove his credentials and this season is a free hit for him, as long as he doesn’t lose the derby. If he does then he deserves a huge amount of criticism, unless the game is lost by something completely out of his hands.

30 minutes ago, Wandy said:

If we lose this match then Eddie will be under serious pressure, and rightly so tbh. It will be unacceptable to lose this.

It would be a tough one take but anyone thinking his position should be under ‘serious’ pressure needs their head read. Are you suggesting he’s moved on if we lose? 

26 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I said under pressure, not in danger of losing his job. For me he gets another 18 months to prove his credentials and this season is a free hit for him, as long as he doesn’t lose the derby. If he does then he deserves a huge amount of criticism, unless the game is lost by something completely out of his hands.

So not under pressure insofar as losing his job so not really under pressure then? 😂

5 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

So not under pressure insofar as losing his job so not really under pressure then? 😂

Under pressure as in being very heavily criticised. That's it, nothing more than that. But heavy criticism isn't something that Eddie has been anywhere near under his tenure. So if it happens, that would be a first of sorts.

Absolutely incredible how some are playing down the derby. Its the biggest game of the season at this point and simply has to be won. Its a cup final that we will be massive favourites to win. And we have to. Its a huge test of the manager's ability to win a massive game that he is expected to.

Just now, Wandy said:

Under pressure as in being very heavily criticised. That's it, nothing more than that. But heavy criticism isn't something that Eddie has been anywhere near under his tenure. So if it happens, that would be a first of sorts.

Absolutely incredible how some are playing down the derby. Its the biggest game of the season at this point and simply has to be won. Its a cup final that we will be massive favourites to win. And we have to. Its a huge test of the manager's ability to win a massive game that he is expected to.

Im not playing it down at all. It would be a shocker to lose this but more in relation to the knackers down the road going on and on about it. It would be a knock to Howe for sure but in the grand scheme of things I don’t think it changes his position, it’s one game. Whether Howe stays for 2,3 or even 4 more years is open for debate but he’s dealt with crippling injuries pretty bloody well this season and has been awesome so far. No need to think about a manager being changed anytime yet.

My worry going into this game is if the injuries continue and we’re still iffy away from home come the match. In theory we should batter them but if Isak is out, and other key players are out then I’ll be more worried. 

Key players back and go into it after a few wins and I think we’ll be fine and so we should be really.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Im not playing it down at all. It would be a shocker to lose this but more in relation to the knackers down the road going on and on about it. It would be a knock to Howe for sure but in the grand scheme of things I don’t think it changes his position, it’s one game. Whether Howe stays for 2,3 or even 4 more years is open for debate but he’s dealt with crippling injuries pretty bloody well this season and has been awesome so far. No need to think about a manager being changed anytime yet.

Where did I say anything about him losing his job?

Will say it again. Lose the derby and there will be savage criticism. And it will likely be deserved.

Eddie needs to play the right team and have their heads in the right place. And thay means making sure nobody gets a stupid sending off. Obviously some things in a game will be out of the manager's control, like a bad decision from officials or a player having a moment of madness. But pretty much everything else is within his control. And this is an upper mid-table Championship team we are playing.

Not on board with this match being billed as the biggest game of the season , imagine Liverpool fans saying a game against Everton was the biggest game they had all season, it would just never happen. it's the mackems and we all hate them but they are a mid table championship club. A week ago I would have been happy beating Milan and Chelsea if it meant losing to these .  It's a cup final for them and not us and it should certainly have no bearing at all on how Eddie is looked upon going forward 

Edited by Geogaddi

Quite surprised that we are the same price to win this as we are Luton on Saturday, make of that what you will. 

Don't think the comparison to Liverpool works @Geogaddi, one given how long it is since we last played them in comparison which makes the hype much greater, and two given how shit our recent record is compared to Liverpool's vs Everton. 

17 hours ago, Wandy said:

Where did I say anything about him losing his job?

Will say it again. Lose the derby and there will be savage criticism. And it will likely be deserved.

Eddie needs to play the right team and have their heads in the right place. And thay means making sure nobody gets a stupid sending off. Obviously some things in a game will be out of the manager's control, like a bad decision from officials or a player having a moment of madness. But pretty much everything else is within his control. And this is an upper mid-table Championship team we are playing.

If the injury table site is anywhere near right I don't think Eddie will have much of a choice what XI to play.

Just now, Fezzle said:

Same people will no doubt say we should write off Liverpool and city either side of it

Well we will likely get one point at most from them two games but had we got through to the semis of the league cup I would have happily made that the priority in January over the mackem game .

They had their derby wins, we got a takeover, LC final and played in the CL.

I'm happy with my lot.

No point denying there isn't more too it, but does it fuck define our season, but a win for them would probably be on par with your country winning a world cup.

Absolute pinnacle of their existence 

7 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Not on board with this match being billed as the biggest game of the season , imagine Liverpool fans saying a game against Everton was the biggest game they had all season, it would just never happen. it's the mackems and we all hate them but they are a mid table championship club. A week ago I would have been happy beating Milan and Chelsea if it meant losing to these .  It's a cup final for them and not us and it should certainly have no bearing at all on how Eddie is looked upon going forward 

Not our biggest game but its certainly one of them and loosing this would be our biggest defeat of the season by far. Be a massive bad reaction from the fan base to loose this, whilst the AC Milan game etc I think we just accepted we'd given our all and weren't quite good enough on the night.

6 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Quite surprised that we are the same price to win this as we are Luton on Saturday, make of that what you will. 

Don't think the comparison to Liverpool works @Geogaddi, one given how long it is since we last played them in comparison which makes the hype much greater, and two given how shit our recent record is compared to Liverpool's vs Everton. 

It's been so long since we played them because they aren't even good enough to play in our league though .We should have bigger priorities now than beating a mid table championship club really with the investment we have had . Imagine say Liverpool fans saying a game against Tranmere was a priority for them because they hadn't played them for years .

Edited by Geogaddi

Just now, Geogaddi said:

It's been so long since we played them because they aren't even good enough to play in our league though , we should have bigger priorities now that beating a mid table championship club really with the investment we have had .

Sure, but we are now out of the League Cup and out of Europe, so we have top 4/5 to go for and the FA Cup, which single game would you highlight right now that's bigger than this? I think it has to now be our biggest game given it's our only remaining hope of a trophy this season.

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

It's been so long since we played them because they aren't even good enough to play in our league though , we should have bigger priorities now that beating a mid table championship club really with the investment we have had .

Unfortunately we haven't this season we're out of Euorpe and now out of the League Cup. This game is now also our only chance of silverware. 

Just now, mondonewc said:

Sure, but we are now out of the League Cup and out of Europe, so we have top 4/5 to go for and the FA Cup, which single game would you highlight right now that's bigger than this? I think it has to now be our biggest game given it's our only remaining hope of a trophy this season.

I agree about the last week, going out the champions league and league cup has meant we need to change priorities but before that we had people saying Sunderland was our biggest game of the season which was absolute nonsense .

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

It's been so long since we played them because they aren't even good enough to play in our league though .We should have bigger priorities now than beating a mid table championship club really with the investment we have had . Imagine say Liverpool fans saying a game against Tranmere was a priority for them because they hadn't played them for years .

Not even sure where to start with that...