Newcastle United 1-0 Manchester United (02/12/23) | Reaction: Pg. 34 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

34 minutes ago, Checko said:

Even so, there's not giving a fuck, obviously not giving a fuck, clearly not caring that you're obviously not giving a fuck, and actively trying to demonstrate you're clearly not caring that you're obviously not giving a fuck.

Surprised to see him in that last group.

I'm not surprised in the slightest, but I am surprised he continues to get away with it. It's not overly noticeable to opposition fans when he's sauntering about against Burnley, but against a team like yourselves which is full of desire, he's stuck out like a sore thumb. 

I'm just glad fans are starting to see what we see. We often getting accused of making scapegoats when things go wrong and there may well be some truth in that, but Rashford is an undeniable problem. If he doesn't score he's utterly useless and is often a detriment to the team. 

Got all the time in the world for him off the pitch. Seems odd the way he has essentially downed tools. Is there any theory as to why? Has he always been like this and it was just ignored because Man U were set up better?

4 hours ago, Erikse said:

I'm also amazed at how many fans of big clubs that compare our spending to theirs and act like an equal net spending from a formely 19th placed Newcastle should give the same results as an already established top club who spends the same. Nottingham spent the same as us last season, but Cooper was still getting praise for a 14th place finish.

Wage bills never get mentioned in these net spend debates either, as if the only spending players is through transfer fees.

Edited by Kimbo

34 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Man United need a clear out of epic proportions. 

Part of their problem is the huge wages that a lot of the players are on.  Sancho is a perfect example, he's on £250k per week.  Even if the manager wants rid of him, who is going to match his wages?  He's under no obligation to leave until his contract is up and there's every chance that a new manager will come in and bring him back into the team so there's very little incentive for the player to look for their own exit.  Then there's players like Van de Beek, over £100k per week.  An absolutely insane wage for such a mediocre player.

They need a huge clear out but they simply can't do it.

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm not surprised in the slightest, but I am surprised he continues to get away with it. It's not overly noticeable to opposition fans when he's sauntering about against Burnley, but against a team like yourselves which is full of desire, he's stuck out like a sore thumb. 

I'm just glad fans are starting to see what we see. We often getting accused of making scapegoats when things go wrong and there may well be some truth in that, but Rashford is an undeniable problem. If he doesn't score he's utterly useless and is often a detriment to the team. 

When he was on fire last season he played with fire in his belly. He’s been so meek and pathetic this season. A foreign lad or a big money signing would get singled out for these awful performances. If you’re going to be a luxury player you need to be dangerous every single match.  This is not new though.  Season before last he scored 4 league goals all season.  

He wasn’t the only one though. We were consistently first to every ball. 

9 minutes ago, ikri said:

Part of their problem is the huge wages that a lot of the players are on.  Sancho is a perfect example, he's on £250k per week.  Even if the manager wants rid of him, who is going to match his wages?  He's under no obligation to leave until his contract is up and there's every chance that a new manager will come in and bring him back into the team so there's very little incentive for the player to look for their own exit.  Then there's players like Van de Beek, over £100k per week.  An absolutely insane wage for such a mediocre player.

Or Maguire this summer who wanted an insane compensation from Man Utd if he were to move to West Ham to offset the loss in wages he would have. Probably the only way Man Utd gets rid of unwanted players before their contract expire, but they refuse to do it :lol:

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

When he was on fire last season he played with fire in his belly. He’s been so meek and pathetic this season. A foreign lad or a big money signing would get singled out for these awful performances. If you’re going to be a luxury player you need to be dangerous every single match.  This is not new though.  Season before last he scored 4 league goals all season.  

He wasn’t the only one though. We were consistently first to every ball. 

The interesting thing I found with Rashford last season was that when he hit form it was like everybody assumed that we were witnessing the real Rashford, the player he was always destined to become and it wasn't just a streaky player in the form of his life. He was 25 ffs and in his 7th season. What we're seeing now has been the norm by and large. He's always looked at his best as an impact sub when a goal is needed and he doesn't have the same responsibilities defensively.

1 hour ago, jackflap said:

The interesting thing I found with Rashford last season was that when he hit form it was like everybody assumed that we were witnessing the real Rashford, the player he was always destined to become and it wasn't just a streaky player in the form of his life. He was 25 ffs and in his 7th season. What we're seeing now has been the norm by and large. He's always looked at his best as an impact sub when a goal is needed and he doesn't have the same responsibilities defensively.

It wasn't the real Rashford, it was contract renewal Rashford, he only ever comes round every 2-3 years. Which, incidentally he signed after the end of last season ? 

13 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

It wasn't the real Rashford, it was contract renewal Rashford, he only ever comes round every 2-3 years. Which, incidentally he signed after the end of last season ? 

The elephant....

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Got all the time in the world for him off the pitch. Seems odd the way he has essentially downed tools. Is there any theory as to why? Has he always been like this and it was just ignored because Man U were set up better?

He's on £325,000 per week until 2028. He's set for life in a team that's clearly going nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

He's on £325,000 per week until 2028. He's set for life in a team that's clearly going nowhere.

He’s not a dick or a mercenary though. He’s clearly a really decent person so I can only imagine he’s either struggling or he’s got a terrible relationship with the club / manager for whatever reason 

2 hours ago, ikri said:

Me when I saw him on the list of subs yesterday:

IMG_0041.jpeg.c188d8660f1013a05c26431934d02cba.jpeg

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s not a dick or a mercenary though. He’s clearly a really decent person so I can only imagine he’s either struggling or he’s got a terrible relationship with the club / manager for whatever reason 

I don't think you need to be either of those things to just not really have the motivation when you're on that much money and it's locked in. 

@Froggy was saying earlier too how he thinks his social media persona isn't accurate to real life. Not something I've looked into in any depth myself. 

Another brilliant result and performance. Man United were extremely poor, but we made them look that way. From the off we exerted an unshakeable control over the game. 

Everyone played well, but I thought the midfield three were particularly great. Bruno has been so dominant in midfield these last few games, such a great technician on the ball.

We’re a very good side and it’s testament to the remarkable coaching of Howe and the rest of the team.

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

He's fine when he's played out on the left against an inferior team, where he has time and space to run at the opposition and he doesn't have to defend much. Give him any other role for the sake of the team, or close him down early, and he won't even try. If he's not going to be the team star, he doesn't want to know.

22 minutes ago, Cf said:

I don't think you need to be either of those things to just not really have the motivation when you're on that much money and it's locked in. 

@Froggy was saying earlier too how he thinks his social media persona isn't accurate to real life. Not something I've looked into in any depth myself. 

Fair enough, it’s hard to understand exactly who someone is but I find it hard to believe that all the work he did related to school meals was to cultivate a persona. He’s already rich, the amount of effort and conflict associated with coming up against politicians and trying to effect change just wouldn’t be worth it unless you actually cared.

I have no idea what that sort of money would do for motivation but there are a lot of people on big contracts who are motivated and give their all still. I think the fact that club is rotten to its core is clearly a factor and the fact that no one plays for each other and only themselves