Goalkeeper's Union

OCK

I was always Barthez in the back garden mainly after World Cup 98. Just read his wiki article there:

Pundit Garth Crooks once remarked “he’s a fine fine lad. You can count the number of mistakes he makes by the number of hairs on his head”

garth-crooks.gif

Edited by joeyt

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Peruzzi was the first keeper I seem to remember watching who'd punch the ball away regularly as a form of counter-attack rather than catch it. I was blown away by it as a kid. :lol:

I remember him doing that - which would usually get a comment from my dad or uncle about ‘dodgy European keepers flapping instead of catching’.  Like you, I was impressed that a keeper could start a counter attack in a split second.  

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I remember him doing that - which would usually get a comment from my dad or uncle about ‘dodgy European keepers flapping instead of catching’.  Like you, I was impressed that a keeper could start a counter attack in a split second.  

Aye I remember the commentators at the time saying stuff like "he doesn't like to catch the ball" etc, but I loved it. 

The difference was he'd go in as if he as about to hit a punching bag, whereas most keepers have their arm already extended and don't get any power. [emoji38]

44 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Loved a bit of Gabor Kiraly

Shutterstock_4102725u.jpg

YES! The tracksuit bottom keeper! Dimitri Kharine another firm believer in tracksuit bottoms. He wasn't very good though, unless he was playing against Newcastle. 

Edited by OCK

Feel like there was a prolonged period in the Prem where you had a strong core of really good but not world class or spectacular keepers that were around for years and years

Brad Friedel, Shay Given, Jaaskelainen, Schwarzer, Tim Howard

Pav.

Yes I'm biased, but watching him field a backpass and look like he has miscontrolled it, then when the attacker closed in he'd just junk inside and leave him on his arse.

Did it every match and attackers always fell for it. Never even got close to getting caught out, and it was always followed by a long chant of "Pavel is a Geordie!" from the stands.

'Pagliuca' is synonymous with 'goalkeeper' for me, probably because the 1994 World Cup was the first major international tournament that I was old enough to grasp. I have fond memories of all the big names from that tournament, like Maradona, Stoichkov and Hagi, then Bebeto, Dunga and Aldair from Brazil, plus their goalkeeper Claudio Taffarel, who I didn't realise was now with Liverpool.

From the same era I remember a Newcastle reserve game where a group of youths in front of me and my Dad spent pretty much the whole match drawling out 'Super Duper Hooper!'. And that we signed John Burridge a couple of times when he was in his forties and still plying his trade as an emergency goalkeeper. Plus caps were pretty common on goalkeepers in the nineties, which rightly or wrongly I particularly associate with the Americans Kasey Keller and Brad Friedel.

16 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'm old school. 

Loved Willie when he was our keeper and, for bonus points, when he was manager he bought Mirandinha who, subsequently booted Beasant up the chuff. 

U2P20525.jpg

I was at that match when Mira hoofed Beasant, i think we had the temporary seating set up at the Leazes end.