Goalkeeper's Union

OCK

Goalkeepers are pure radge. My favourite position, one I enjoyed playing in myself until I stopped growing at the age of 16. Let's share some of our favourite GK memories and clips, since Yorkie (much like the Goblin King) has no power of us. 

My favourite keepers are entirely based on childhood nostalgia and having Italian football during the 90s. 

1. Angelo Peruzzi

Short, stocky, looked like he was related to Stoichkov or perhaps could have been your uncle. Absolutely nuts. Could probably beat up 8 people at once. Juventus GK throughout the 90s. An inspiration to anyone under 6' to become a GK. Wearer of one of my favourite keeper tops.

2. Gianluca Pagliuca

Professional flapper and superman. Every save was a highlight reel, even if it was straight at him. I loved it. 

3. Edwin van der Sar

A firm favourite of mine throughout the 90s, amazed when he joined Fulham. Gutted when he joined Man U. Very tall, commanding and could use his feet. He'd be worth billions today. 

4. Oliver Kahn (Jens Mustermann)

I loathed this guy. He was good, too good. Annoyingly good and completely bonkers. You would NEVER use him as a poster child for goalkeeping other than to highlight what agreesive keeping looks like. Everything he does is 'wrong', but it works. Neuer and Kahn are THE best with their footwork and aggression. 

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Pagliuca is a Villa fan. Has a tattoo and everything. A really bad tattoo in fact.

FHUCxYVXIAsfmRJ.jpg:large

This is nuts. Not sure I like him anymore [emoji38]

I can only assume he was a huge Nigel Spink fan. :yao:

Edited by OCK

Jorge Campos is the 'keeper that comes to my mind when I think of 'keepers growing up. I posted about him not long ago.

On 29/12/2021 at 00:17, Kid Icarus said:

Campos was almost this mythical creature amongst my mates in the '90s. Back when we didn't have YouTube to check, I remember hearing something along the lines of 'nar man he's like 5ft 4 but he's that good that he's still the best goalkeeper in the world' :lol:

Loved Toldo as well and didn't think there was much between him and Buffon at one time.