Luton Town 1-0 Newcastle United (23/12/23)

Yorkie

52 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Tonali right, Bruno middle, Joelinton left.

Almiron for Barnes & switch side with Gordon.

Imo.

That's still over half the team not starting so point is valid. Not having Barnes over Almiron though. He did well in the opening game and did f all after that until he got injured. He has to prove himself to warrant being preferred over Almiron.

Barnes is debatable sure, but it would be close I reckon. He’s a better player than Miggy imo.

It bears emphasizing: We are effectively playing 2 seasons with exactly the same squad - effectively all of our additions are literal non-factors.

Of course we didn't know that coming into the season. But these results feel much less of a gut punch when you realize it's basically the same exact squad we ran out last season (with some injuries to boot).

Each squad in the top flight upgrades on the squad from yesteryear. It's a massive blow we've no improvements anywhere in the squad. And that puts into perspective how impressive it is we are still within a purple patch run of form from qualifying for Champions League football. Keep perspective lads.

Catching up on the replay. The camera angles at Kennilworth Road are jarring. :lol:  The crowd cheering when Townsend’s roof ball rolled into the hole around the lightpost. It’s kinda refreshing to have a ground like this in the Premier League. A relic of different time.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Tonali right, Bruno middle, Joelinton left.

Almiron for Barnes & switch side with Gordon.

Imo.

That's still over half the team not starting so point is valid. Not having Barnes over Almiron though. He did well in the opening game and did f all after that until he got injured. He has to prove himself to warrant being preferred over Almiron.

Having 2 feet would be a good enough reason for me :cheesy:

7 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Catching up on the replay. The camera angles at Kennilworth Road are jarring. :lol:  The crowd cheering when Townsend’s roof ball rolled into the hole around the lightpost. It’s kinda refreshing to have a ground like this in the Premier League. A relic of different time.

Totally agree, much prefer this than a lifeless boring flat pack stadium like the riverside.

59 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Barnes is debatable sure, but it would be close I reckon. He’s a better player than Miggy imo.

Based on what exactly? His form 2 years and 2 long term injuries ago? 

For us, Miggy ahead of Barnes isn't even debatable until he gets back in shape and starts playing regularly imo.

17 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Based on what exactly? His form 2 years and 2 long term injuries ago? 

For us, Miggy ahead of Barnes isn't even debatable until he gets back in shape and starts playing regularly imo.

But the whole point of the post was with everyone fully fit. Barnes is a brilliant finisher, if he'd had the chances our wide men have had this season he'd be our top scorer.

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Over the last 5 seasons, Barnes has scored more goals with his left foot than Miggy has with every body part and he's not even left-footed.

No idea if this is true but I bet it's not far off.

Last 3 seasons, 13 goals, 11 goals, 13 goals the last being in a relegated team. He's a consistent premierleague performer and goal scorer. Almiron isn't in his league.

Yeah Almiron did amazing numbers last season. The same kind of numbers Barnes has been doing for seasons. Obviously it’s hypothetical based on fitness etc. but personally I’m picking Barnes over Miggy.

8 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Last 3 seasons, 13 goals, 11 goals, 13 goals the last being in a relegated team. He's a consistent premierleague performer and goal scorer. Almiron isn't in his league.

1 goal, 1 assist in his first competitive game for us. 0 in his following 6 appearances. Then he got injured by breaking his toe by running unchallenged and ruling himself out for ~5 months.

Easy choice between the two if I had to make it right now. I might change my mind once he's back, but he definitely needs to prove himself for us. What he did for Leicester doesn't really mean anything at this point.

13 minutes ago, Conjo said:

1 goal, 1 assist in his first competitive game for us. 0 in his following 6 appearances. Then he got injured by breaking his toe by running unchallenged and ruling himself out for ~5 months.

Easy choice between the two if I had to make it right now. I might change my mind once he's back, but he definitely needs to prove himself for us. What he did for Leicester doesn't really mean anything at this point.

He's played 180 minutes for us man, in which case a goal and and assist isn't a bad return. Why are you wording it like the injury is somehow his fault too? [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

He's played 180 minutes for us man, in which case a goal and and assist isn't a bad return. Why are you wording it like the injury is somehow his fault too? [emoji38]

Not his fault, and didn't mean to word it like that, but it wasn't anyone elses fault was my point :lol: Almiron is more reliable.