Newcastle United 2-3 Manchester City (13/01/23)

Yorkie

Tough result to take given the wonderful goals from Isak and Gordon.

We just have to accept that until the squad is properly fit, injuries reduced, deadwood moved on and squad depth quality improved further we are always going to have weaknesses against the very best. Doesn't mean we cant win, but we lack the extra gears and subs to truly compete over 90 in the ways we need to see games out right now.

Amazing we are even at this stage and position. Our expectations have rocketed from survival to top 4 and domestic trophy hunting. This season has been a huge learning lessosn, and we can be better and we will be in time.

14 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Still fucking annoyed.

I felt as bad yesterday when they went 3-2 up, as I did with the penalty in Paris, both absolutely gut-wrenching moments.

9 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I felt as bad yesterday when they went 3-2 up, as I did with the penalty in Paris, both absolutely gut-wrenching moments.

Liverpool at home, PSG away, Chelsea in the cup, Milan at home and now the Man City game.. All heartbreaks at the end. Gotta love this season.[emoji38]

Atleast we had some memorable moments like PSG at home..

Edited by Erikse

5 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

To be fair like, City are great at finding that space. I think it was Foden last time they beat us who kept popping up unmarked and they do it against others too. 

Any good team finds it easy to find those pockets against us. 

43 minutes ago, hakka said:

We just have to accept that until the squad is properly fit, injuries reduced, deadwood moved on and squad depth quality improved further we are always going to have weaknesses against the very best. Doesn't mean we cant win, but we lack the extra gears and subs to truly compete over 90 in the ways we need to see games out right now.

Amazing we are even at this stage and position. Our expectations have rocketed from survival to top 4 and domestic trophy hunting. This season has been a huge learning lessosn, and we can be better and we will be in time.

Almost £500m spent in 3.5 windows and 10th in the league = amazing we are even at this stage and position

54 minutes ago, hakka said:

It’s just that manner and last minute of it. It’s happened a few times this season. Where the rug has been pulled.

We will learn and we will get better.

33 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Liverpool at home, PSG away, Chelsea in the cup, Milan at home and now the Man City game.. All heartbreaks at the end. Gotta love this season.[emoji38]

Atleast we had some memorable moments like PSG at home..

It’s those heartaches that will define our progress. Hopefully we can learn from them.

We are not used to winning in the big games so we don’t have that experience of how to do it.

Hopefully we can move on and start to win these games.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

At what point do we say - we aren’t learning and why is that ?

I agree and my negative side says the same. But ultimately we did the best we could when we are really struggling with injuries.

I think the learning starts now this season. We have players coming back and there will be no excuses when they are.

Getting Joelinton and Willock back will make a massive difference.

It’s just been a very difficult season. But also a journey.

Man City took 6 years to really start getting it right..

18 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Almost £500m spent in 3.5 windows and 10th in the league = amazing we are even at this stage and position

It’s more like 350m isn’t it not. And that just makes up for the lack of investment Ashley made.

I think we should be doing better than 10th yes. But we have had an horrific injury list.

8 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

It’s more like 350m isn’t it not. And that just makes up for the lack of investment Ashley made.

I think we should be doing better than 10th yes. But we have had an horrific injury list.

Exactly. He’s conveniently ignoring all of the injuries and the base from

which we started.  

TCD just coming across like a stan account on Twitter. Trolling Newcastle fans talking about what we’ve spent and ignoring any context or other factors that might have an impact. 

CoLePaLmErSZN123456: Newcastle are a mid club. Spent £500m and you’re still shit. 

The Contrarian Dickhead strikes again. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

15 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

In euros it’s 460m+ according to transfermarkt. This is on top of a team that finished between 10-13 in the previous 4 PL seasons. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/alletransfers/verein/762

It’s also 2nd highest net spend in the PL over that period. 

We have the 7th highest wage bill in the league apparently according to a tweet I saw. 

I really like Eddie but I’ve been disappointed with how stubborn he has been this season. I fear for him if we don’t qualify for Europe or at least finish 8th.  I’m confident we will but less confident with each loss and new injury. 

Long term he needs to be more adaptable and pragmatic. 

Edited by The College Dropout

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

In euros it’s 460m+ according to transfermarkt. This is on top of a team that finished between 10-13 in the previous 4 PL seasons. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/alletransfers/verein/762

It’s also 2nd highest net spend in the PL over that period. 

We have the 7th highest wage bill in the league apparently according to a tweet I saw. 

I really like Eddie but I’ve been disappointed with how stubborn he has been this season. I fear for him if we don’t qualify for Europe or at least finish 8th.  I’m confident we will but less confident with each loss and new injury. 

Long term he needs to be more adaptable and pragmatic. 

Don’t get me wrong it hasn’t been a stellar season. Quite the contrary I am saying that it’s a must do better.

But the injuries have been horrific. You could argue they are linked to the way we play.

But we still have some very very average players kicking around our first team.

Eddie did marvellous last season. This season is really where we are at. Albeit 2 positions off where we would like.

February we will kick on and finish top 7.

14 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Don’t get me wrong it hasn’t been a stellar season. Quite the contrary I am saying that it’s a must do better.

But the injuries have been horrific. You could argue they are linked to the way we play.

But we still have some very very average players kicking around our first team.

Eddie did marvellous last season. This season is really where we are at. Albeit 2 positions off where we would like.

February we will kick on and finish top 7.

Fundamentally we agree. With easier fixtures and more players back and in good condition we will do much better. 

Eddie did marvellous last season. But this season has been bad. 

Injuries have been horrific. It is my opinion Eddie has contributed to this both in terms of team selection and style of play. 

8 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

What would you have done differently last night? 

I’m not a football manager. 

Do you think every good manager in world football would’ve done exactly as Eddie did last night at half time? At 55 minutes? At 2-2? 

There’s this idea that there’s nothing Eddie can do tactically or with substitutions in those situations and it makes no sense to me. 

Considering we didn’t play any football for 45 minutes.  Fresh legs that can follow runs and be brave alone would’ve been worth bringing on. 

8 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Just made myself watch motd, the foul on a Gordon which was given as a throw to them before their first was fuckin ridiculous. 

It was a foul and should have been given. Having said that we should have defended it better but the finish was amazing.

We pushed the best team in the world to the brink with 10 players out.

I think we should take that as we are going to be just fine.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s not really down to fans to come up with ideas of what to do differently when something isn’t working ?

That's never usually an obstacle for anyone on here 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Is midseason league position the only relevant factor?
How about the spectacular football we’ve seen? Having players like Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Botman, Trippier? How about witnessing the resurgence of multiple players from what looked like a relegation fodder squad? The absolutely remarkable second half of the season, year before last? Finishing 4th last year. A cup final. A Champions League adventure? Recently beating  Man Utd twice, City once, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa, PSG and generally holding our own against top teams—including the two most recent Liverpool defeats? Even our biggest ever away victory might feature? We can then think where we may finish this season and what could still happen in the FA Cup? Given on our day we can beat anyone. Start to sound like a more reasonable return for the outlay to you? Plus, more than anything, the sense of having a team able to compete. An ethos, team culture and sense of camaraderie we can be proud of. I’m pretty happy with the return to be honest.