Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t fully understand anger being the response after games like this one.  Yep, Howe made some tactical blunders.  But that was seriously entertaining to watch.  Luton gave it a right go, until the last 15 mins when it became rope-a-dope.  Our lot went hammer and tongs and burned out at 90 mins.  We’re a long way from being a top side, so I’m more than happy to be an entertaining one

We need Europe, not going to be easy if we keep dropping points to relegation teams.

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Like I said, it’s an easy game isn’t it. No consideration of context or consequences of decision making. No opportunity for the player to correct things/regain confidence. Just chuck the fucker under the bus because he was done for pace. Doesn’t matter about recent man of match performances. 

PerformanceS? He was good against Fulham. Maybe motm, but only because none of the others had a good game really.

Against Villa we looked vulnerable as fuck until Livramento came on. 

What about Livramentos confidence levels? Being motm the majority of the games and gets replaced asap when Burn is back. Truly a mindfuck for him.

It's always nice to score a goal, especially here at St. James' Park. Newcastle are a great club with great fans and it is nice to get a goal here today and get the point.

~ Barkley

Alright, keep it in your pants. We'll come get you once we get some money in this summer.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t fully understand anger being the response after games like this one.  Yep, Howe made some tactical blunders.  But that was seriously entertaining to watch.  Luton gave it a right go, until the last 15 mins when it became rope-a-dope.  Our lot went hammer and tongs and burned out at 90 mins.  We’re a long way from being a top side, so I’m more than happy to be an entertaining one

Shit result, shit performance and frustrating decisions more than make up for a little entertainment.

Just now, Displayname said:

Shit result, shit performance and frustrating decisions more than make up for a little entertainment.

You could see it coming as well, at half time I said we could end up winning 5-3 or losing 4-2. I think we should manage games better than that.

We were lucky to get a draw there.....Luton the better side........technically, strength and pace

Worrying again......:undecided:

Edited by Jinky
typo

26 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

Or fickle. 4 points from this and villa away is more than most or the bookies would have predicted.

wilson snd Barnes back the latter with a goal. Older longy found his shooting boots. Bruno chipping in with a rare goal.

Luton are physical and have enough to stay up. To come back from 2 goals down is pleasing.

aye I’m a glass half full man but some of the miserable fkers have short memories or no memories :-/

meant Tripps not Bruno. 

7 minutes ago, Beren said:

~ Barkley

Alright, keep it in your pants. We'll come get you once we get some money in this summer.

Remember he scored a great solo goal against us at SJP about 10 year ago from our corner. Colo needed to just bring him down

Thought he was the only midfielder on the pitch who seemed in control

35 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Lots of negativity re Howe on this thread. This football management malarkey is an easy game from your armchair. 

Get the fuck out of an online forum if you do not like armchair opinions like😂

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It was fun, though, avoidable or not

Totally agree, was a proper old fashioned seesaw of a game. Can’t knock games where you go through all the emotions over the 90 minutes. 

Edited by reefatoon

6 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Bruno could not walk never mind run for most of the game.

But surely keeping him on the pitch could risk him for the coming games.

I would rather take him off but our the lack of transfer activity has caught up with us

No sales = no incomings

There's going to be some very upset posters and some reactive posts (probably me included). Let's just remember it's none of our fault. We just watch and experience the joy or suffering at different thresholds. 

it's an emotional thing, it's meant to be. Sometimes we overly rationalise to mitigate the sick stomach feeling and sometimes we just vent.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Totally agree, was a proper old fashioned seesaw of a game. Can’t knock games where you go through all the emotions for 90 minutes. 

Yep :) I only started getting frustrated in injury time, mainly because the players were knackered and I didn’t get the final crazy flurry I was hoping for in those 10 added minutes.  

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

There's going to be some very upset posters and some reactive posts (probably me included). Let's just remember it's none of our fault. We just watch and experience the joy or suffering at different thresholds. 

it's an emotional thing, it's meant to be. Sometimes we overly rationalise to mitigate the sick stomach feeling and sometimes we just vent.

Nothing wrong with people venting for me.  It’s a football forum, can’t be chewed with people trying to police folks’ emotions.  I just thoroughly enjoy crazy high-scoring games where two teams have a go, and neither side looks capable of defending.  

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep :) I only started getting frustrated in injury time, mainly because the players were knackered and I didn’t get the final crazy flurry I was hoping for in those 10 added minutes.  

[emoji38] Exactly right, I was effing and blinding at how we couldn’t get the ball off them for about 6 mins of the added time. 

25 minutes ago, Vedder said:

The two things are completely separate IMO. You can call out a bad decision/performance when you see it without being disrespectful. Otherwise, should we all sit here sharing pleasantries after seeing us concede 4 at home to Luton?

Its only seperate if you don't want to use context. Some people prefer the bipolar, reactionary reaction to every dropped point some dont. We seen how that worked out last season.

It happens. They hammered Brighton in their last game. There's nothing between us and Brighton. Should they bemoan their lot based on that one game?

Keegan's great team lost 2-0 and drew with far worse Luton teams than this. It would have been bang out of order to criticise the manager and players in the overall. We weren't good in either game but ffs you don't have to react to every setback like a bairn, they're going to happen forever. They still happen to Manchester City, whom were not and Luton used to beat great Liverpool teams regularly.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Few people saying it was a "fun" game. My idea of fun could never be conceding 4 at home to Luton :lol:. If I was watching a 4-4 Real Madrid v Barca, sure that's fun. It's unacceptable to perform like that against relegation candidates. 

I'm far from Howe out, I just really wish he would lessons. Oppositions eyes light up when they see Burns up against their fast wingers. 

My main takeaway was that we had probably half a team out today that is more mid-table or lower than European contender. It’s not surprising we can’t control or dominate the game with such limited players making up a lot of the team. 

I respect all of our lads but Longstaff, Miley, Murphy, Burn, Almiron and arguably Wilson are more Luton quality than Arsenal quality. 

It’s a natural part of our progression but we still have too many average players to be confident of consistent wins. 

Of course, take them out and replace them with the lads we have injured and we destroy Luton 9 times out of 10. 

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

[emoji38] Exactly right, I was effing and blinding at how we couldn’t get the ball off them for about 6 mins of the added time. 

I said the same thing in here after the game. Something about being the worst injury time period I've seen from us in a long time.

25 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

It's not even close. We got beat by these not that long ago. Do you remember the shit we watched 3/4 years ago, every other game was an embarrassing result or performance. 

Leading 2-1 then suddenly down by 2-4 is up there. The way we just waste around with no real intention is up there. 

Not winning when taking an early lead here is almost criminal. So much wrong today. Thankfully we managed to salvage one point. This is poor. 

Just now, TRon said:

I said the same thing in here after the game. Something about being the worst injury time period I've seen from us in a long time.

It was as much disappointing given the previous 90 mins - I saw the 10 mins and thought ‘this could still be 5-5’