Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

58 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

We're destined to never have good things if people can't understand the circumstances he's started in and why he can't just wave a magic wand around to fix everything in 2 months.

Edu at Arsenal is a great example of this

Edited by Amir_9

Total and utter silence. He has a day and half to do something, else he's not going to be popular for at least 6 months. Makes little sense to me why he'd take the appointment if unable / not allowed to do what he's supposedly good at (of which I've seen no evidence). Similar foreboding about him now as I have with Eales.

Just now, Theregulars said:

Total and utter silence. He has a day and half to do something, else he's not going to be popular for at least 6 months. Makes little sense to me why he'd take the appointment if unable / not allowed to do what he's supposedly good at (of which I've seen no evidence). Similar foreboding about him now as I have with Eales.

He hasn’t been here long enough to implement what he’s good at

Just now, Jack27 said:

He hasn’t been here long enough to implement what he’s good at

Not sure I agree. If what he's good at is unearthing talent for purchase, did he not come to the role with an active contacts book and suggested talent that he / his people had scouted? I would have thought that was part of the driving force in him getting the role; maybe it was in fact his willingness to deal with the fallout of not buying anyone. 

Either which way, he's a day and a half away from failing his first big test.

12 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Not sure I agree. If what he's good at is unearthing talent for purchase, did he not come to the role with an active contacts book and suggested talent that he / his people had scouted? I would have thought that was part of the driving force in him getting the role; maybe it was in fact his willingness to deal with the fallout of not buying anyone. 

Either which way, he's a day and a half away from failing his first big test.

He would 100% have had targets. It’s whether the manager wants them, and that’s been the issue this entire window imo. 

We all saw Eddie’s interview, it seemed pretty clear he was implying the players we bring in he’d have to agree too, and he got his wish as we went for Guehi. 

It looks like there’s been no real plan after Olise and Tosin didn’t happen, which is a crazy thought considering how important this window was. 

Edited by Stuy_O

Either his contacts/knowledge isn't as great as its been cracked up to be or Howe is rejecting players that Mitchell has identified. Granted that's a blunt way of putting it, but ultimately this is why it's crazy the actual structure wasn't settled and agreed upon before employing Mitchell (which promoted Howe's public reservation's). 

It's not like having £70m available is a small amount to play with, even with the inflated prices these days.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think the seeming lack of outgoings is a bigger worry than the incomings, tbh. 

If I'm going to complain about anything it is this. I know the players we're trying to shift are unattractive because of both age and wages (and ability). But we haven't been able to find a suitable deal for even just one of Dubravka, Vlachodimos, Miggy, Murphy, Fraser or Targett? 

But also, he's officially been in the job for less than 60 days (admittedly an important and less than ideal 60 days). His success or failure here won't be defined by the last two months.

5 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

He would 100% have had targets. It’s whether the manager wants them, and that’s been the issue this entire window imo. 

We all saw Eddie’s interview, it seemed pretty clear he was implying the players we bring in he’d have to agree too, and he got his wish as we went for Guehi. 

It looks like there’s been no real plan after Olise and Tosin didn’t happen, which is a crazy though considering how important this window was. 

If that's true then yeh, it's a massive discredit to the manager.

5 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

It looks like there’s been no real plan after Olise and Tosin didn’t happen, which is a crazy though considering how important this window was. 

Also his targets may not be value when we come calling 

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

If I'm going to complain about anything it is this. I know the players we're trying to shift are unattractive because of both age and wages (and ability). But we haven't been able to find a suitable deal for even just one of Dubravka, Vlachodimos, Miggy, Murphy, Fraser or Targett? 

But also, he's officially been in the job for less than 60 days (admittedly an important and less than ideal 60 days). His success or failure here won't be defined by the last two months.

I wouldn't expect any of those to go to PL clubs, except maybe Targett. So you have to find clubs from another league that will pay money, can afford the wages and the players want to go there. 

Also selling Miggy depends on signing another RW, so I guess that couldn't happen if we were spending all the money on Guehi. 

I'm sure if wanted to give them all away for free and subsidise their wages we could get them to leave, but I guess we can't do that. 

He's been given a hospital pass here mind. 

He was thrown into a a role which required months of planning to do a job in a 3 month window he joined half way through. Its not a role you can hit the ground running on.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I wouldn't expect any of those to go to PL clubs, except maybe Targett. So you have to find clubs from another league that will pay money, can afford the wages and the players want to go there. 

Also selling Miggy depends on signing another RW, so I guess that couldn't happen if we were spending all the money on Guehi. 

I'm sure if wanted to give them all away for free and subsidise their wages we could get them to leave, but I guess we can't do that. 

Certainly not expecting PL exits for most of them. The money and newfound disdain for older players is obviously making it difficult. I'm accepting of the situation, but I really thought we'd be able to find some creative way to move one or two of them.

1 minute ago, TRC said:

He was thrown into a a role which required months of planning to do a job in a 3 month window he joined half way through. It’s not a role you can hit the ground running on.

Negotiating for existing targets isn’t exactly hard for a sporting director.

2 minutes ago, TRC said:

He was thrown into a a role which required months of planning to do a job in a 3 month window he joined half way through. Its not a role you can hit the ground running on.

Woooooaaah, reign back on the common sense cowboy. 

Turns out the biggest fuck up he's made is getting rid of the "deadwood" "shit" players that nobody wants.

Utter failure

Anyone with any cred would've come here with a contact book full of desperate mugs gagging to buy "deadwood" "shit" players for massive Bucks*

* same "deadwood players that got us 4th. Then were cheated out of CL progression and still managed to finish 7th while playing on one leg. A mere 9 points adrift of CL qualifying? 

Aye, those "deadwood" 🤔😂

16 minutes ago, TRC said:

We can't judge him on this summer, albeit it would have been nice if he was a Parish-whisperer and could have done the Guehi deal. But we don't have a clue whose fault that is.