Malick Thiaw

James

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Impossible?

With our status and budget? To find a Schar clone, but with pace and a better age would take an incredible piece of recruitment or a massive fee.

We signed Fabian Schar at 26 years old for less than £5 million. He had never played at a big club and had never even had anyone spend up to £5 million on him.

Round about the same time or a year later Man United spent £80 million on Maguire. Man City were after him too and he was being hyped in the media.

The amount spent doesn't indicate how good a player is, neither does all the noise around them either.

If the scouts do a good job we can definitely find someone to eventually take over from Schar. 

After all if we're talking strictly pedigree at the same age, pretty much every young defender we've been linked with is ahead of Schar was at the same age.

Spending big money often gives a false sense of assuredness on transfers that doesn't necessarily pan out.

I think the defenders we're looking at are plenty good enough, and are being underestimated a fair bit.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

Not impossible, but given whats been said about our budget, it will be tough in the 30-40m range we seem to be shopping in for a CB. 

Aye. It will require great scouting. But it’s not impossible. I love him But he’s not Harry Kane. 

there’s obviously a correlation between transfer fee/ wages and ability.  Just not a strict one. Finding a better player than Schar for £30m is difficult but v. achievable.  

Disagree like, finding a better player than Schar is going to be extremely tricky. We might have one after a few year’s development but I don’t think anyone will come in and be better than Schar for a fair while 

Just now, gbandit said:

Disagree like, finding a better player than Schar is going to be extremely tricky. We might have one after a few year’s development but I don’t think anyone will come in and be better than Schar for a fair while 

Agreed especially based on what howe expects from the player he isn't afraid to leave them out. Hopefully abit like with Tino it's not a like for like replacement we are not looking for a 5 to 10 year younger schar but someone with qualities to work in a system and with the players we have on the books. 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think that would be fine because Schar is here and looking great still.  

I feel like there’s always bargains to be had at CB (and massive duds).  

18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think one of the unfortunate hang overs from the Ashley era is this fear that players we are after aren't up to scratch, unless they are very well known names.

Along with the fear that we won't be able to replace any good player that leaves, or is getting older and that we will eventually need to move on from. Really hope the fan base can eventually overcome this.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think one of the unfortunate hang overs from the Ashley era is this fear that players we are after aren't up to scratch, unless they are very well known names.

Along with the fear that we won't be able to replace any good player that leaves, or is getting older and that we will eventually need to move on from. Really hope the fan base can eventually overcome this.

you mean just the contibutors on this forum who make up a tiny proportion of the ptoper fanbase?

10 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

you mean just the contibutors on this forum who make up a tiny proportion of the ptoper fanbase?

Yeah, maybe.

Although it seems even worse on the bigger platforms.

Honestly my comment, which has had an important word left out, was far less about our ability to recruit and more about how good I think Schar is. Schar with pace is a unicorn.

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Honestly my comment, which has had an important word left out, was far less about our ability to recruit and more about how good I think Schar is. Schar with pace is a unicorn.

Eaten by Shelvey?

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, maybe.

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, maybe.

Still a tiny proportion of our fanbase! 

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

7 minutes ago, OCK said:

Was this the guy who was in One Direction?

no, i think he was in the avengers.

Edited by huss9

Finding someone clearly better than Schar w/ our budget is virtually impossible. He is playing very well right now. Finding someone who can be a back-up and develop into a Fabian Schar is not nearly as difficult. The option we need to be clearly better than the starter is RW and that is also not going to be very difficult given where Miggy is and where he is heading. I feel like we can be older on the back line than we can in the right and left wings.  

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I actually think Schar has his limitations as a defender, but no doubt he's been one of our best CBs in the PL era and he'll leave big boots to fill.

His passing is what will be missed the most when he does go imo. 

2 hours ago, Fak said:

His passing is what will be missed the most when he does go imo. 

Love a Schar cross field pass opening up a defence. Up there with Beckham for that pass

Theres that once every few games he turns into Yaya Toure randomly and strides through midfield and tries to score a solo goal, don't think he's pulled it off for years but one day!

Aye Schar is as good as it gets at carrying the ball and passing the ball, don't think we will find someone as good as he is truly elite at that, maybe someone who can develop it down the line

But we can for sure find someone who is defensively an upgrade, just got to hope the rest of the team develops in the first phase so we miss him less when it happens