Will Osula

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Should some promising things, but doesn’t look ready to be the backup to Isak we need. Ideally goes out on loan but not possible with our current squad.

Don’t think he was ever intended to be the backup for Isak though, he was intended to take a few minutes from both Isak and Wilson. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Looks like he needs minutes and develop. Won’t get that here. He’s in a tough spot. 

He looked good to me but not good enough to regularly contribute.  

Could be wrong. 

Come on, none of this is a shock. He was brought in to be third choice and take some of the pressure off the other lads. 

11 hours ago, Disco said:

Top shithouse. 

Not sure I can remember a player making more runs in behind only to be ignored 100% of the time.

That was very frustrating. The quality of the crossing was also dire, he was always looking for the ball in, but it never arrived. Pretty difficult to judge his finishing on that service.

52 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Come on, none of this is a shock. He was brought in to be third choice and take some of the pressure off the other lads. 

It’s not good for the lad to be a 4th choice striker in a team without European football. He needs minutes to develop.  I like him. 

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Why did we sign him then, and why did he come? 

I didn’t sign him, I don’t know.  

Perhaps if Wilson was fit we would’ve loaned him out? 

perhaps they thought he would be third choice? I doubt that though.

i like him. He’s got positive attributes but he needs to develop those with minutes. Minutes he’s not getting here despite injuries to the frontline.  

Why did he come? Bigger club and more money.  That’s an easy one.  

Edited by The College Dropout

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Seems obvious they thought he would be third choice. Don't see how there's any doubt about that. 

They can’t have expected Wilson to stay fit tbh, he wasn’t even fit during pre season.

Not for the whole season consistently, no. But Wilson would still have been considered 2nd choice overall. 

Also we've got the issue that signing a permanent second choice is very difficult given Isak is (supposed to be) starting every game. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I think it’s all well and good saying he needs minutes to develop. Of course he does, and ultimately, if we could rely on Wilson/Isak to stay fit then maybe he would be getting minutes elsewhere, but right now he needs to be part of the squad for the benefit of the team. The issue (as ever) has been poor recruitment of key positions such as LW added to poor sales. If we had signed someone that could have improved that area and maybe been an auxiliary striker that would have been great. I’d we had also peddled Wilson when there was some value, we maybe would have more reliable options in the position that would allow young players to go out on loan. We have a long long way to go.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Seems obvious they thought he would be third choice. Don't see how there's any doubt about that. 

I never thought for a second he would start ahead of Anthony Gordon at ST.

AGs played there for us and England U21 decently in my view. It allows Barnes to play in his favoured position too.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I never thought for a second he would start ahead of Anthony Gordon at ST.

AGs played there for us and England U21 decently in my view. It allows Barnes to play in his favoured position too.  

Yeah, I think both of those things can be true though. Barnes has played so well that it's fine to move Gordon away from RW, and of course Isak has been injured more than we would have expected.

But looking at the lineup of strikers if everyone was available, Osula is third choice striker IMO.

Circumstances, especially the fact that Isak and Wilson are injured so early in the season (before the EH bedding in period), mean that Howe is happier going for Gordon. I don't have a problem with that, but I still understand Osula's overall place in the squad.  

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo