Marc Guehi

gdm

29 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't think people appreciate this enough. There's always a bottom line, at least while FFP/PSR are in place. Every penny we spend impacts us down the line. One of the reasons why shipping out players is as important as bringing in new ones.

I think most people appreciate this

My point was that we now have a team of professionals who work at the club and will be analysing every deal. And I’m willing to trust the transfer decisions made by the club. If they’re happy with paying £60m for him, then I’m happy. Even if £40-50m feels like better value. 

Whereas other people on here don’t seem to trust that the club have the correct insight into player values, transfer funds and PSR and will have set an upper limit on the fee in accordance with those factors 

If we offered Palace £40m and they said yes, then happy days. But they said no, so we’re negotiating and if they want more than we’re willing to pay then I’m sure we’ll move on to another target 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

I think most people appreciate this

My point was that we now have a team of professionals who work at the club and will be analysing every deal. And I’m willing to trust the transfer decisions made by the club

Whereas other people on here don’t seem to trust that the club have the correct insight into player values, transfer funds and PSR and will have set an upper limit on the fee in accordance with those factors 

If we offered Palace £40m and they said yes, then happy days. But they said no, so we’re negotiating and if they want more than we’re willing to pay then I’m sure we’ll move on to another target 

Well I agree with you 100% on that, which is why I said I was glad that our opening offer was for £50m and we weren't just chucking money at it to get the deal done. It shows we have a very good recruitment team and excellent negotiators.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well I agree with you 100% on that, which is why I said I was glad that our opening offer was for £50m and we weren't just chucking money at it to get the deal done. It shows we have a very good recruitment team and excellent negotiators.

Exactly.

And £50-60m purchase negotiations take time but people on here get frustrated when they’ve read transfer rumours on Twatter and the player isn’t at Longbenton for a photo shoot 24 hrs later 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Probably be 50 million with 10 in add ons that'll probably be the hold up. plus dobby is a sour faced bugger. 

Edited by andycap

We can’t be paying a price that endangers say Bruno or Isak next season or possibly Gordon this window in preparation for next season.

I’m sure we’re working just as hard to get some players off the book before the window closes. 

Once the transfer window closes. Don’t we have all season to bring in new sponsors? Won’t that help avoid any panic? Same with other revenue we likely increased since previous seasons?

Or am I mistaking how it all works still. 

20 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Once the transfer window closes. Don’t we have all season to bring in new sponsors? Won’t that help avoid any panic? Same with other revenue we likely increased since previous seasons?

Or am I mistaking how it all works still. 

Yep, though it depends on what the sponsor pays in the current football FY

3 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

North of £50m I don't want him, how much was Botman again?

About 35m - Botman was also younger, and is still not a full international.  Guehi plays regularly for a much better international side, is PL-proven and there will be an ‘English premium’ applied.  Don’t see the issue with Palace’s valuation tbh. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

About 35m - Botman was also younger, and is still not a full international.  Guehi plays regularly for a much better international side, is PL-proven and there will be an ‘English premium’ applied.  Don’t see the issue with Palace’s valuation tbh. 

Just to play devils advocate… Botman was a top 5 league winner with champions league experience, at a younger age. Are England really a much better international side than Holland. Guehi has only played regularly at one tournament and got in through injury’s. Botman arguably only missed out on a place in the Euro 24 squad because of injury.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah. Despite him having around 18 months left on his contract he's just come out of the Euros as arguably the best player in the team that reached the final and were favourites. It's still a lot, but you can totally understand it from Palace's point of view. 

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah. Despite him having around 18 months left on his contract he's just come out of the Euros as arguably the best player in the team that reached the final and were favourites. It's still a lot, but you can totally understand it from Palace's point of view. 

And their captain too last season yes?

13 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Just to play devils advocate… Botman was a top 5 league winner with champions league experience, at a younger age. Are England really a much better international side than Holland. Guehi has only played regularly at one tournament and got in through injury’s. Botman arguably only missed out on a place in the Euro 24 squad because of injury.

Yes, England are a better international side - there isn’t a metric which would say that they aren’t - and Botman’s form before his season ended was bloody awful.  Ligue 1 is not PL-standard. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yes, England are a better international side - there isn’t a metric which would say that they aren’t - and Botman’s form before his season ended was bloody awful.  Ligue 1 is not PL-standard. 

Botman pre-injury was better than him 

60m for a player of his stature and potential is more than reasonable. I get that people will recoil at the idea of him potentially being our second highest transfer but what are we actually buying here? A potential mainstay in our staring 11 for the next 5-8 years who'll blossom into one of the senior leaders and will be vital in maintaining our no dickheads culture. Some were skeptical about the Gordon and Livramento fees too. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You’re probably dog whistling me with that comment, but there is no way England have a better collection of center backs than Holland do at the moment. Marc Guehi wouldn’t have been in Germany this summer if his cradle was in Amsterdam or Utrecht.

47 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Got a horrible feeling another club will enter the race for him. Just get it done.

Chelsea already have