Marc Guehi

gdm

23 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Everton fans hated Gordon at the end.  Daily Mail

Ofcourse, in part because he was pushing for a transfer, amongst other things. Not exactly the same, but rumours has it that Guehi is doing that aswell, or atleast wants the deal to happen. Ofcourse they are going to go on about how they are better off without him. That would be the narrative here aswell if we thought that one of ours were pushing for a transfer to some club that we didn't particularly like.

Edited by Erikse

I’m not that annoyed with palace. He’s English. He’s 24. Had a great showing at the euros. 60-70m seems like the price for that. I’m just going to be annoyed if we’ve put our entire transfer strategy and all this time into Guehi and we don’t end up getting him with little time to move on to our backup targets. 

I do think there’s definitely better value on the continent for 60+m CB. It’s just the English tax, PL experience, age, one of englands better players at the euros. We are not only paying the tax but we are buying him at peak value. Would have been half this price last year and will probably be half this price next year. More reason for us to move on and maybe circle back if we are that keen. All that being said I wouldn’t cry if we wrap it up this week and it’s something like 55-60m plus add ons. Ideally I’d take a less hyped CB for half that and get in a RW. I love Miggy forever and Murphy is a real late bloomer but I can’t help feeling like that one position desperately needs to be sharpened with a match winning quality player. 

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Yeah, as far as I’m told we’re still negotiating for him. Certainly haven’t walked away and everyone still seems incredibly confident 🤷‍♂️

Was the last bid rejected, if you've heard?

Parish’s words were designed to get a bigger bid, otherwise he’d have said ‘we aren’t selling’. However I think the 3rd bid was the max, so Palace are going to have to move, or it’s dead. 

Q is whether to move on to someone else or see if Palace move. Maybe right now they reckon Palace will come back, and that interview was just to try and ring out a few more quid

Don’t even care at this point. We need someone in as like someone else pointed out earlier, we’re fucked if Schär gets injured early in season.

If this deal can’t happen, we need to be moving on quickly.

I'm convinced this will go through - we'd have walked away by now if we weren't very confident and there were encouraging tweets from Downie and Graves last night too.

He comes across superbly in that SSN interview.

Just now, Paully said:

I'm convinced this will go through - we'd have walked away by now if we weren't very confident and there were encouraging tweets from Downie and Graves last night too.

He comes across superbly in that SSN interview.

Agreed. I think the fact they haven’t briefed the journos it’s off still bodes well. If the NUFC side felt it was dead we’d be deluged by articles saying as much from well placed NE press pack.

I think there is a good chance it goes through, the concern I have is that after the posturing of the last few days I don’t think it is going to go through any time soon unless we increase our bid even further.

The longer we hang on the more we can’t afford for it not to go through, as we will have problems.

I don’t have faith in the club getting a short term replacement in either, we have seen in previous windows where we have been crying out for a stop gap but they have gone with what we have.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

Anyone genuinely support the idea to meet Palace asking price? 70m pounds + add ons.

I am speechless, if there’s any

I think the 50m range is a bit steep for him lol

Perhaps im a bit miserly though

26 minutes ago, Zero said:

Anyone genuinely support the idea to meet Palace asking price? 70m pounds + add ons.

I am speechless, if there’s any

I do. But then I’m a big fan of Guehi and believe he’s ready to make that step up.

Paying that money will be daft on face value, as any deal around that figure is. But we’ll get the value by him being a key starter for rest of this decade, and him being a key starter for England over next 4 years as they head to a home euros.

2 years down the line, could have likes of Man City knocking and wanting to spend £80m+ because of the form and how World Cup went.

Apropos of nothing I thought he came across like an unbelievably canny lad in that interview. :lol: If £70m includes £10m for how sound he is then I can understand that.