Marc Guehi

gdm

10 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

100%. Definitely not doubting his quality, I just can't understand what it is that draws them so heavily to him to the extent they might be willing to compromise on strengthening other areas as a result. 

We're slightly overpaying almost for the guarantee that he can do it at premier league level. You ģo and buy someone from another league for half or 2/3 the price and there's that slight doubt he may not be able to handle the pace and physicality of the Premier League.

Add to that he's only 24 too and he's got 8 or 9 years at the top still.

Edited by Scoot

If Howe is fixated on a player, I'm certain the player is worth it. My ONLY issue is I don't want to give Palace our money because, fuck them. 

12 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If Howe is fixated on a player, I'm certain the player is worth it. My ONLY issue is I don't want to give Palace our money because, fuck them. 

My issue is that I hope it doesn’t jeopardise PSR and/or cost us getting a RW. 

38 minutes ago, Scoot said:

We're slightly overpaying almost for the guarantee that he can do it at premier league level. You ģo and buy someone from another league for half or 2/3 the price and there's that slight doubt he may not be able to handle the pace and physicality of the Premier League.

Add to that he's only 24 too and he's got 8 or 9 years at the top still.

I think we're significantly overpaying because of the clause, but I do find that "instantly adaptable" argument a bit counterintuitive when almost all of our most significant players have come from foreign leagues. 

But anyway, hope it goes through and I end up eating my words. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Paulinho said:

They might be shitting themselves over having to embed two new centre backs straight into a faltering team and what it could mean for Premier League survival.

They should possibly be shitting themselves more about how their defence which has their “world class” defender in it has already leaked four goals in the first two games.

Just now, gbandit said:

Parish will be sick to his stomach that the manager is coming out with that sort of line. Unlucky

He’s not wrong though - if you try to calm your players down whilst Parish is going around acting like he’s Jim Carey then it’s going to piss you off.

30 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Stick £60m offer in for Branthwaite. Offer trippier in return. That would get palace moving, especially after today.

Not a bad shout at all that, would benefit all parties involved and would stick two fingers up at Palace in the process.

In every scenario Parish has stupidly played this out. Even if this deal eventually happens, these guys have lost 2 matches and the momentum from last season, even with selling Olise is well and truly off. 

2 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

On current standards he's barely worth £50m, fed up with the furore over it all to be honest - I'd still rather we went for one of the foreign league centre backs we've been linked with as a cheaper alternative. No way we should be dancing to Palace's tune on this.

His form, lack of track record, and lack of bidders is highly concerning for what we seem willing to shell out. But still significant time for growth as just turned 24.

It feels like Palace have near zero interest in selling, but if they get a 'stupid bid' they'll take it, and are trying to push us to that territory. 70m would seem to be in that zone. Shocked honestly they havent taken our 60m with add ons, and I think the club is shocked too.

He's certainly not a £70 million player on current form and a bit of gamble. When your shelling out that sort of money he needs to be the finished article. He'd be one of the most expensive defenders in the world, that title didn't do Harry Maguire any favours. As others have said a few food games for England in an underperforming team doesn't make him a world beater.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

So is this happening or not? 😂

Yes

no

the two parties are close

the two parties are miles apart

This will happen before the deadline

Despite the efforts of all concerned it has been impossible to get this over the line.

19 minutes ago, gdm said:

Sack this deal off and go elsewhere. Pure hype off the back of the euros

Aye, we should forget the Euros and how good he's looked in previous seasons and base our judgement on the 2 games we've had this season

Yikes :lol: yous didn’t half bite at that. Was having a joke with myself as a Scotsman that English players are always massively overhyped during and after a major tournament

I stand by that he’s no where near a £70m player and I’d be happy if club looked elsewhere giving us a bit extra for a winger 

Nice backpedal. I don't think he's worth £70m, but if we think he's the man for that position for the next 7-10 years it makes sense to pay the premium as we don't have to pay again to upgrade in 2-3 years