Marc Guehi

gdm

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

? Wasn’t the Minteh sale to satisfy last years accounts? Would still leave us with £££ for this season.

Not sure mate, but the young player to replace Murphy point still stands. He would have been the mid to long term answer to the RW issue, in fact as it's proving so far, even the short to immediate answer. 

And I'm not sure he could have been developed any better either, spending a season playing at the top of a decent enough league, and in the Champions League.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No, but mainly because £45m for Gordon at his age and in his position is a pretty crowded price point. That was much nearer to 'the going rate' so to speak, whereas £70m for Marc Guehi as a CB represents a fee reserved for the very best defenders in the world, where's the ceiling from that point for him in terms of transfer fees?

Not to mention that if we'd spent the entire transfer window upping and upping our bid for Gordon, never had an alternative, and not signed anyone else in any position, that context would be the thing the annoyed me more than anything. I think I mentioned this yesterday, but if we'd missed out on Guehi like we did Botman (ie having signed other players in the same window) the context is totally different, the fan reaction and the feeling about everything is totally different. It's that we've missed out on Guehi and not addressed any other positions that's galling. 

Adjusted for inflation Stones and Maguire aren't that different IMO for a English CB. Albeit in a different PSR environment. Don't think the club would need to retain confidence in recouping full value, given sale is a back up plan anyway.

I don't think fan service is factoring into decision making and that's a good thing IMO.

The other thing which I think could be at play (and I admit this is quite conspiratorial) is other big clubs making a concerted effort to create a barrier to entry through transfer market gazumping at lower price points. Like with Tosin. Or an alternative structure could be pay a little more than Newcastle and/or agree to loan them back to the selling club.

Anyway, don't know how stumbled into the mantle of club guardian. I want a new goalkeeper [emoji38] Actually thought Carlos Miguel looked alright overall on Wednesday.

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Why did we keep trying when they were just giving us the 'fuck off, no' price, changing it each time as well :lol:

The fact they sold their other CB and kept playing Guehi late in the window were good clues this wasn’t happening as well.

4 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Why did we keep trying when they were just giving us the 'fuck off, no' price, changing it each time as well :lol:

Because we were getting encouragement from the player's side, if nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Beren said:

Adjusted for inflation Stones and Maguire aren't that different IMO for a English CB. Albeit in a different PSR environment. Don't think the club would need to retain confidence in recouping full value, given sale is a back up plan anyway.

I don't think fan service is factoring into decision making and that's a good thing IMO.

The other thing which I think could be at play (and I admit this is quite conspiratorial) is other big clubs making a concerted effort to create a barrier to entry through transfer market gazumping at lower price points. Like with Tosin. Or an alternative structure could be pay a little more than Newcastle and/or agree to loan them back to the selling club.

Anyway, don't know how stumbled into the mantle of club guardian. I want a new goalkeeper [emoji38] Actually thought Carlos Miguel looked alright overall on Wednesday.

He was good the big bastard. They got him for around 5 million as well. :bob:

No club is going to sell their captain within 7/8 hours of the window closing. We must have given up on this a couple of days ago surely. Anyway £70m for this bloke is insane. I’d rather they have the post transfer window debacle inquest and then get back to a more sensible approach for the next window.

Just now, Yorkie said:

I'm just theorising, but it seems pretty plausible don't you think? 

Not really. I've already said that all we've heard is that "he's open to the move". That could mean anything. He's also publicly said he's looking forward to the season ahead with Palace. He's got 2 years left on his deal and he could quite easily wait a year and move to Liverpool for £40m, maybe he's open to that as well.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

He’s been telling some players in our squad that he wants to join (and has been expecting it) for weeks now.

Perhaps not the greatest thing to rely on (at least after a certain point, anyway).

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

He’s been telling some players in our squad that he wants to join (and has been expecting it) for weeks now.

Honestly if that's true, I think the deal will get done even now. It's no more than hearsay, but let's take it at face value: maybe he would quite fancy joining, but he's also clearly not THAT fussed on it as Parish seems confident that he's also quite happy to toodle along at Palace if we don't agree a ridiculously expensive deal.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Lad's a really good pro, but if he was really that bothered about a move he'd be handing a transfer request in. Like VVD did to join Liverpool. Like Lescott did to join Man City. Like John Stones did to leave Everton. All good pros.

Just now, TRon said:

Honestly if that's true, I think the deal will get done even now. It's no more than hearsay, but let's take it at face value: maybe he would quite fancy joining, but he's also clearly not THAT fussed on it as Parish seems confident that he's also quite happy to toodle along at Palace if we don't agree a ridiculously expensive deal.

It’s not hearsay.

8 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

No club is going to sell their captain within 7/8 hours of the window closing. We must have given up on this a couple of days ago surely. Anyway £70m for this bloke is insane. I’d rather they have the post transfer window debacle inquest and then get back to a more sensible approach for the next window.

Writing was on the wall when he wrote in his program notes how happy he was to be captain for this season 

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Clearly a man of all talk, no action. Frustrating really, as he would have done an excellent job for us.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not really. I've already said that all we've heard is that "he's open to the move". That could mean anything. He's also publicly said he's looking forward to the season ahead with Palace. He's got 2 years left on his deal and he could quite easily wait a year and move to Liverpool for £40m, maybe he's open to that as well.

If he's not worth £65m when he's still got a chunk left on his contract, why would a club like Liverpool want him at £40m unless its purely as backup? 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If he's not worth £65m when he's still got a chunk left on his contract, why would a club like Liverpool want him at £40m unless its purely as backup? 

Because they'd be far happier paying £40m than £70m I expect.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

It’s not hearsay.

Bummer for the player as he and his agent(s) clearly thought this was going to happen and it appears Palace continued to change the deal at every step. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Bummer for the player as he and his agent(s) clearly thought this was going to happen and it appears Palace continued to change the deal at every step. 

Palace gave him the captain's armband because presumably they knew he was also quite happy to stay put.