Our future, Howe vs Mitchell

Kid Icarus

Our direction: Howe vs Mitchell   

210 members have voted

1. 1. Howe or Mitchell?

• Howe
    • Mitchell

45 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think the whole media thing kicked off because Eddie gave that interview hinting that he might not stay if the changes at the club didn't allow him to work in the way that he was accustomed to. It needed the parties to get together again, and for Mitchell to give an interview reassuring the supporters that they were working together now. Yes of course the media stirred things up, but there's no point in denying that the relationship between Mitchell and Howe got off to a bad start.

The two men strike me as having different personalities, with Howe quite reserved and Mitchell more in your face. That doesn't mean that they can't work together, though it'll need some mutual adjustment.

If it doesn't work out in the end, then it's Mitchell who will have to go.

I'd say there's very little chance of that, unless he leaves by himself. Us having such a mediocre start of the season performance wise also doesn't really help Howe's case I'm afraid

On 22/09/2024 at 01:03, Kanji said:

I think the world of his talent spotting and his record at Southampton, Spurs and RB, but his time at Monaco from 2020 onwards wasn’t perfect. There wasn’t Olmo or Mane there, maybe, yet. 

Odd take given the work he did at Monaco could be argued to be his best work, completely overhauling an aging squad that went on to finish high in league ahead of the traditionally successful French clubs (PSG excepted obviously)

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I wince at the question because I hate catastrophising in this NUFC era and I don't believe we'd even be considering this scenario were it not for certain journos pushing sensationalist angles. "Of course there's a door number 3 leading to something less shit, but let's do this anyway," is a bit of a depressing way of processing what's happening imo. 

I'm not sure it's even worth asking when you have to apply so much assumption to one of two options. No one knows what Paul Mitchell can actually bring to this club - it's entirely theoretical at this point. It's based on the idea of a Sporting Director we formed whilst enviously observing others from our seat at Ashley's Zombie FC.

If there's anything I've learned since we joined the land of the living, it's that the jury is out on the idea of Sporting Directors being the pivotal visionaries at their respective clubs. I keep reading that the manager/head coach shouldn't be given the keys to the castle and that such a thing is somehow more appropriately bestowed on a Sporting Director. But it's still just one man, you're just transferring that sensitivity to a different individual. 

Anyway, I'm still yet to see any real evidence that there's a pervading chasm between the two men. The transfer window went wrong but there's another one in a few short months; the only thing to hope for is that they're both still here and collaborating to result in something better.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what has been written here, going back to the one different individual point. Imagine if you will post Keegan we had a competent DoF who instead of hiring Dalgliesh hired someone with a similar footballing perspective as Special K, which led to a slight tweak of the playing squad and style instead of a complete dismantlement, see also post SBR.

Do you think we might have managed to maintain our position as a consistently top 6 side in that scenario? This is the strength of having a competent executive team above the manager, something we definitely didn’t have during the Hall/Shepherd era.

Ridiculous thread. If it was ‘all powerful head coach’ v ‘sporting director model’, then it would be better. I voted Mitchell based on that, but it’s no criticism of Howe. The OP is winding himself up.

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of what has been written here, going back to the one different individual point. Imagine if you will post Keegan we had a competent DoF who instead of hiring Dalgliesh hired someone with a similar footballing perspective as Special K, which led to a slight tweak of the playing squad and style instead of a complete dismantlement, see also post SBR.

Do you think we might have managed to maintain our position as a consistently top 6 side in that scenario? This is the strength of having a competent executive team above the manager, something we definitely didn’t have during the Hall/Shepherd era.

That's more about imagining a competent chairman/a chairman who is reliant upon a competent footballing advisor though. As opposed to an all encompassing system in which the (hopefully competent) chairman picks the players, the style of the club, the support staff and the youth development system and sacks the manager if results don't go to plan.

I think a lot of people's ideas about the benefits of a DOF-Head Coach system would be salved by a return to the very old fashioned approach of managers having decade long stays at clubs, with chairmen riding out multiple seasons of indifferent form without a whimper while the 'concept' is implemented. The two things aren't that far apart as it is.

As an aside, the ultimate solution to all this might be just to get rid of both of them. 

It seems like the original sin in all this, if there was one, was hiring a manager pre-DOF in the first place, if that is the system the club is committed to. And they probably would've been better off sacking Howe in the summer, too. Weak decision making from our sackable CEO.

Edited by 80

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

I think the whole media thing kicked off because Eddie gave that interview hinting that he might not stay if the changes at the club didn't allow him to work in the way that he was accustomed to. It needed the parties to get together again, and for Mitchell to give an interview reassuring the supporters that they were working together now. Yes of course the media stirred things up, but there's no point in denying that the relationship between Mitchell and Howe got off to a bad start.

The two men strike me as having different personalities, with Howe quite reserved and Mitchell more in your face. That doesn't mean that they can't work together, though it'll need some mutual adjustment.

If it doesn't work out in the end, then it's Mitchell who will have to go.

Yep. I am getting tired of reading that this whole supposed rift kicked off with Mitchell's interview. Howe's interview perplexed a few in the hierarchy from some reports, but if it caused ructions, it wasn't expressed openly.

I feel pretty bad now because I said I didn't mind craig hope because of the fact he had a pop at bruce. After watching the pre Fulham press conference and his stupid little video later, balls to that. He's an arsehole who is just stirring up shit for no reason. He came across as an inept dickhead anyway when his first question was "have you spoke to Paul Mitchell?" RIGHT AFTER Mark Douglas had already just asked that. He made louise taylor sound like a decent journalist, that's how much of an arsehole he came across as. He's behind this trouble behind the scenes storyline and I don't know why. He knows he's not popular for it and he's not wanting to be the shot messenger, but he's not just the messenger as he's the bloody one forcing this bollocks narrative. craig hope can fuck right off.

Watch now as luke edwards does a face turn.