Newcastle United 1-0 AFC Wimbledon (01/10/2024)

4 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

When a team sits with 10 men behind the ball in such a low block, I don't know why teams bother playing inverted wingers.

You can't get in behind them...and you can't open anything up coming inside as it's too congested. 

You can't shoot either, as there's no space to line up a shot, or it just gets blocked.

Surely the best way is to hoy in cross after cross? I don't think Barnes or miggy put more than 1 cross in each tonight. 

The inverted wingers are suppose to come inside, bring the full back likely with them, with a player change over to slot outwide, and causing confusion as it requires either opposition to move on the man they’re marking or get dragged into a position they’re not comfortable in to track a run.

All needs to be with quick passing and movement. Something we’re poor at. Man City obviously best at it, but they for me go too far and overdue it. 

4 hours ago, whiteline said:

Eh? Where were you sitting? They had, amongst others:

is this a library

wheres your famous atmosphere

afc Wimbledon 

1-0 and you still don’t sing

and the classic - premier league, you must be shite playing us on a Tuesday night.

I thought they were excellent and way more vocal than us.

Down toward the Strawb corner, the name one was the only thing I heard bar muffled cockney noises and the odd “Come on Tim”.

15 minutes ago, Disco said:

Down toward the Strawb corner, the name one was the only thing I heard bar muffled cockney noises and the odd “Come on Tim”.

:lol:

3 hours ago, Sibierski said:

The inverted wingers are suppose to come inside, bring the full back likely with them, with a player change over to slot outwide, and causing confusion as it requires either opposition to move on the man they’re marking or get dragged into a position they’re not comfortable in to track a run.

All needs to be with quick passing and movement. Something we’re poor at. Man City obviously best at it, but they for me go too far and overdue it. 

Plus they played with a back 5 and then midfielders deep as fuck in front of them on the edge of their box.  They had the 9 up top as the outlet who was very good as the traditional striker type.  Then someone would occasionally look to support him from a second striker sort of position.  

Even when we did get a tiny bit of space wide for the full back.  The wing back would often be in the vicinity still and would pass on the winger cutting inside to the CB or the CM.  So he could still get tight to the full back on the overlap.  The few times we did get in, we seemed reluctant to actually send in an early cross and cutback were getting blocked due to them having 7-8 players in the box!   

It was still painful to watch, mind and we didn't really have an answer.  But then I think a lot of teams would have struggled, they were that deep and just playing for a 0-0 and then oddly, a 1-0 loss until the 92nd minute. 

Just my take but perhaps we'd have played better if we'd had more experience of this type of situation.

Since the takeover and especially since we got good, we've drawn a lot of Premier League sides in the cups, often the Sky 6. Even the Mackems were going well in the Champo and it was at their place.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Ooh football friends

"The Dons managing director wanted to thank the Magpies on the record for staging their Carabao Cup tie at St James' Park"

We can do the same for anyone else aswell.