Nobby 1st choice right back

Guest Darth Toon

Could be injuries have taken their toll.

But he's been sloppy, weak in the air and doesnt seem to give everything for the team for a while now.

Keep Nobby there, and hopefully find a buyer for Carr in the summer when we can get a young replacement.

I remember, when Sir Bobby brought Carr to the club, he was a very good right back.

When do you think that he became such a poor defender?

He's always been shite. Definitley not one of Robson's better dealings, much rather see Ramage / Solano make that role their own.

He used to be good. Admittedly that was a while before we signed him.

• 4 weeks later...

I assume everyone wants Nobby back in at RB next game but will Roeder have the balls to drop Carr?

This is Roeder's first big selection decision i feel and possibly determines whether he has the right stuff to be a good manager.

Knowing him however he'll probably play both, Carr on the left and Nobby on the right.

get the impression that Taylor may play left-back with Nobby reprising his role at RB. Gooch and Titus in the middle

Alan is that you?

Thats what I would like to see if Baba isnt fit tbh.

alan? what the hell are you talking about

Guest TampaToon

if duff doesn't turn the corner offensively (which i fully expect him to do) by the time the zog returns, how would nobby & duff at fullback linking up with milner & n'zogbia on the wings do to solve our fullback crisis?

would certainly help us move the ball out from the back without just hoofing it to an opponent....

Nol right back into the battleFeb 8 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Nobby Solano says he is happy to resume at right-back in Saturday's clash with Liverpool.

The Peruvian missed the 3-1 win over his old club Aston Villa eight days ago due to suspension, but was not restored to the starting line-up at Fulham, with Steven Taylor preferred on the right-hand side of defence and new loan signing Oguchi Onyewu starting in the middle alongside Titus Bramble.

Yet a thigh injury for Stephen Carr - which could keep him out for a month - sustained on Republic of Ireland duty - means Glenn Roeder must again rethink his side for Liverpool's visit.

Carr was used as a left-back against Fulham, but Taylor may be asked to fill in against the Merseysiders - opening up the door on the opposite side for Solano again.

Former Peru right-back Solano claims he is more than happy to continue with a defensive role.

The former skipper of his country said: "I enjoy playing right-back.

"It is quite a comfortable position, as you can see all of the pitch.

"You have more time to pass, and more time on the ball.

"You have to work harder when you are a midfielder.

"The manager has a problem with injured players and he is happy with me there."

Roeder announced Solano as his first-choice right-back last month, and it is fair to say some of Newcastle's best performances have coincided with the South American in that position.

Nobby - who played in Oba Martins for his 11th goal of the season after coming on as a sub at Craven Cottage - has proved a good organiser at the back, and also stepped up against West Ham to roll home a crucial penalty to earn a point against the Hammers.

His current deal runs out in the summer, but he is expected to extend his stay on Tyneside after joining at the start of last season from Villa for a second spell following Sir Bobby Robson's decision to sell him in 2004.

Positive comments imo. I think Nobby's realised that he's not going to get in the team ahead of Milner at right wing so he's decided to compete against Carr directly for rightback spot.

If you remember previously even when he was doing well at right back he has always maintained that he's only doing a temporary job and Carr is still first choice. Well someone obviously had a rethink when he was left out against Fulham.

Can only be good news for us.

If Carr walks back into the side when he is fit i will lose all respect for Roeder, Carr has proved time after time that he aint good enough for us and Solano has proved he is good enough. Im praying that he is sold in the Summer.

It was a slap in the face when we got Carr because for weeks before we bought Carr we were heavily linked with Miguel and it did seem possible that we'd get him but then some how we got Carr.

it is extremely important that nobby stays as our first choice rb for a couple of seasons - will allow us to focus on strengthening other areas of the team!

sell carr (or give him away, just to free up wages) and bring in a young rb as back up for nobby!

I dont mind either but his age is catching up with him quickly and that could be a problem.But I think another 1 1/2 year should be not much of a problem for him.

Roeder no doubt already knows this, I think he is more concerned with the now than the future atm.

Too true. Roeder has zero planning skills.

Nol right back into the battleFeb 8 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Nobby Solano says he is happy to resume at right-back in Saturday's clash with Liverpool.

The Peruvian missed the 3-1 win over his old club Aston Villa eight days ago due to suspension, but was not restored to the starting line-up at Fulham, with Steven Taylor preferred on the right-hand side of defence and new loan signing Oguchi Onyewu starting in the middle alongside Titus Bramble.

Yet a thigh injury for Stephen Carr - which could keep him out for a month - sustained on Republic of Ireland duty - means Glenn Roeder must again rethink his side for Liverpool's visit.

Carr was used as a left-back against Fulham, but Taylor may be asked to fill in against the Merseysiders - opening up the door on the opposite side for Solano again.

Former Peru right-back Solano claims he is more than happy to continue with a defensive role.

The former skipper of his country said: "I enjoy playing right-back.

"It is quite a comfortable position, as you can see all of the pitch.

"You have more time to pass, and more time on the ball.

"You have to work harder when you are a midfielder.

"The manager has a problem with injured players and he is happy with me there."

Roeder announced Solano as his first-choice right-back last month, and it is fair to say some of Newcastle's best performances have coincided with the South American in that position.

Nobby - who played in Oba Martins for his 11th goal of the season after coming on as a sub at Craven Cottage - has proved a good organiser at the back, and also stepped up against West Ham to roll home a crucial penalty to earn a point against the Hammers.

His current deal runs out in the summer, but he is expected to extend his stay on Tyneside after joining at the start of last season from Villa for a second spell following Sir Bobby Robson's decision to sell him in 2004.

Positive comments imo. I think Nobby's realised that he's not going to get in the team ahead of Milner at right wing so he's decided to compete against Carr directly for rightback spot.

If you remember previously even when he was doing well at right back he has always maintained that he's only doing a temporary job and Carr is still first choice. Well someone obviously had a rethink when he was left out against Fulham.

If you believe the comments, you are a mental. It was only a few days ago he was quoted as saying what a blow it was to lose Carr for a month.

If you believe the comments, you are a mental. It was only a few days ago he was quoted as saying what a blow it was to lose Carr for a month.

Roeders quotes may have been taken out of context, he might have said "only a month."

Whoever said anything about Roeder?

Whoever said anything about Roeder?

Any comments in the media have to be taken with a pinch of salt, remember.