A Chelsea fan to a Newcastle supporter?!

Guest Mase

Hello all, this is my first post on the Forum so it’s a little bit of an introduction but also I need some advice! And a lot of it. Grab a bevy, and have a read of my situation and help me out!

The topic is about me switching as a Chelsea fan to a Newcastle supporter.

I turn 19 next week and have followed Football solid for nearly 3 years now. Before that I used to watch the odd game, like once a month. My Dad supports Spurs so I went to see a couple games with him. Now I find my life almost revolves around Football. I work at an Orange retail store and everyone there absolutely loves Football. I want to support a team, go to matches, and stay updated 24/7 just as they do. I’m passionate about the game, just not a team.

When the Chelsea takeover happened I started following Football. A couple of my cousins are season ticket holders at Stamford Bridge and I managed to go see a few games. Obviously there was a bit of a “glory hunter” in me for choosing Chelsea, but I genuinely did keep updated and go to a few games, and have watched every game that I possibly could when I’m not working on TV. If not it would be from the BBC sites live broadcast, which is an absolute life saver when your at work!

People at work and my friends have always called me a glory hunter, and whilst I’ve always denied it the reality of it is true. I’m not really that passionate about Chelsea. Yes I watch every game and stay updated but there’s something not there.

My Grandad was a Newcastle fanatic. He died when I was 11 or 12 but I always remember him not leaving the house without his barcode scarf and hat. He would take them everywhere! Shopping, coming around to see family. Everywhere. And I’ve been thinking of a switch for a couple months now, so I’ve been keeping track on a couple clubs. Newcastle, West Ham and Reading. I live about a 20 minute drive from Reading, so that was the first obvious choice. But I went to a game and just didn’t feel anything. The fans seemed boring, and overall it just felt like a boring club. West Ham are making some good signings, and if they beat relegation this year it looks as though next season will be a good one for them. But still, something’s not there. Then I think of Newcastle, and I always get a little tingle whenever the name is said. When I here my colleagues say Newcastle, I react… I’m like “Who?! What was that?! Huh?!” and then become really interested. I definitely think there is a little bit of my Grandad in me, and I feel as though I should carry on the Newcastle legacy in my family! It’s just the only thing is I live in Berkshire, so I’d only be able to go to away games. I doubt I’d travel further than London (which is about a 40 minute train journey for me). Only once or twice a year would I travel to see a game at St James’ Park. It’s something I’ve only done when I was little and I’d love to do it again…

So that’s my story! I’d just like to know what you guys think. Should I just call myself a Newcastle supporter all of a sudden and start going to games and following them? It’s a strange situation and I don’t know how to go about doing it… I know all of my friends and family will think of it as such a strange decision so if you was in my situation, how would you go about telling them or doing it?

Thanks for reading, it’s a bit of an odd post but it’s what’s on my mind.

Dan

Guest Invicta_Toon

is your grandad a geordie?

you were never really a chelsea fan tbh, anyone who follows them post takeover deserves a chance to see the light

but remember, once you change, you can't ever change again. You may live to regret following the Toon if you like seeing teams win stuff  bluelaugh.gif

I dont have an account over there but all you have to do is cut and paste:

Hello all, this is my first post on the Forum so it’s a little bit of an introduction but also I need some advice! And a lot of it. Grab a bevy, and have a read of my situation and help me out!

The topic is about me switching as a Chelsea fan to a Sunderland supporter.

I turn 19 next week and have followed Football solid for nearly 3 years now. Before that I used to watch the odd game, like once a month. My Dad supports Spurs so I went to see a couple games with him. Now I find my life almost revolves around Football. I work at an Orange retail store and everyone there absolutely loves Football. I want to support a team, go to matches, and stay updated 24/7 just as they do. I’m passionate about the game, just not a team.

When the Chelsea takeover happened I started following Football. A couple of my cousins are season ticket holders at Stamford Bridge and I managed to go see a few games. Obviously there was a bit of a “glory hunter” in me for choosing Chelsea, but I genuinely did keep updated and go to a few games, and have watched every game that I possibly could when I’m not working on TV. If not it would be from the BBC sites live broadcast, which is an absolute life saver when your at work!

People at work and my friends have always called me a glory hunter, and whilst I’ve always denied it the reality of it is true. I’m not really that passionate about Chelsea. Yes I watch every game and stay updated but there’s something not there.

My Grandad was a Sunderland fanatic. He died when I was 11 or 12 but I always remember him not leaving the house without his red and white scarf and hat. He would take them everywhere! Shopping, coming around to see family. Everywhere. And I’ve been thinking of a switch for a couple months now, so I’ve been keeping track on a couple clubs. Sunderland, West Ham and Reading. I live about a 20 minute drive from Reading, so that was the first obvious choice. But I went to a game and just didn’t feel anything. The fans seemed boring, and overall it just felt like a boring club. West Ham are making some good signings, and if they beat relegation this year it looks as though next season will be a good one for them. But still, something’s not there. Then I think of Sunderland, and I always get a little tingle whenever the name is said. When I here my colleagues say Sunderland, I react… I’m like “Who?! What was that?! Huh?!” and then become really interested. I definitely think there is a little bit of my Grandad in me, and I feel as though I should carry on the Sunderland legacy in my family! It’s just the only thing is I live in Berkshire, so I’d only be able to go to away games. I doubt I’d travel further than London (which is about a 40 minute train journey for me). Only once or twice a year would I travel to see a game at the Stadium of Light. It’s something I’ve only done when I was little and I’d love to do it again…

So that’s my story! I’d just like to know what you guys think. Should I just call myself a Sunderland supporter all of a sudden and start going to games and following them? It’s a strange situation and I don’t know how to go about doing it… I know all of my friends and family will think of it as such a strange decision so if you was in my situation, how would you go about telling them or doing it?

Thanks for reading, it’s a bit of an odd post but it’s what’s on my mind.

Dan

Guest Invicta_Toon

Mackems can't read maps, theyd never craft a wind up like this

anyway, if it is a windup, for what purpose? I think it's believable

Mackems can't read maps, theyd never craft a wind up like this

anyway, if it is a windup, for what purpose? I think it's believable

Bollocks man.

Bet this is doing the rounds somewhere.

Not falling for it.

you should not be like i have to choose or change my club

either you are a fan, or you stick with your team

If you feel for newcastle united, then you should be true to the club of your heart

NUFC is everything, the rest is just details

Jees I can’t believe these replies… It’s not a windup… I’ve only recently taking a real interest to Football, and want to support a team. I’ve been claiming to be a Chelsea fan, when really all I done was keep up to date with them. I want to make a commitment to a team, and I think I’ve found one which I like. That’s it. And this hasn’t been posted anywhere else..

EDIT: And yes my Grandad was a Geordie. Most of my Mums side is.

The thing that makes me think this is a win up is calling it a 'barcode' scarf.

Jees I can’t believe these replies… It’s not a windup… I’ve only recently taking a real interest to Football, and want to support a team. I’ve been claiming to be a Chelsea fan, when really all I done was keep up to date with them. I want to make a commitment to a team, and I think I’ve found one which I like. That’s it. And this hasn’t been posted anywhere else..

EDIT: And yes my Grandad was a Geordie. Most of my Mums side is

Forgive us for being suspicious.  This is the kind of thing someone would do asa wind up, and there was a mackem invasion yesterday.

Not a great fan of the barcode thing, but you seem true of heart and your story tells of a man of rare and passionate character.

Welcome aboard youngster, I expecting great things from you. Another dedicated soul to stand alongside and fight the good fight, and together we shall forever embrace the black and the white.

Be forewarned though brother. If you ever talk of this 'Chelsea' again, the wrath of Tyneside shall fall like great Thors hammer at your door.

:lol: :thup:

Guest Invicta_Toon

EDIT: And yes my Grandad was a Geordie. Most of my Mums side is.

that's it sorted then. welcome to the family

p.s. you can never leave  :cool:

Guest Armchair Pundit

If the lad's telling the truth then I'd say good on him, everyone has a reason for supporting their team and his granddad's as good as any - if it's a WUM however, it's not really the sort of thing that'd I'd think was worth writing for that purpose so as a WUM would be pretty crap  bluelaugh.gif

Anywho, I'm going to bite - welcome to the fold mate  :thup:

Guest Invicta_Toon

Not a great fan of the barcode thing, but you seem true of heart and your story tells of a man of rare and passionate character.

nee puffs mind.....

I think you really do have to listen to your heart over your head as to who to support.

Sounds like you never really had much passion for football when younger so chose a team to fit in.

Would sound like you are a kind of reversed version of Lee Stewart. Lee Stewart is a guy who was a Newcastle fan, but switched to Manchester United when his head decided that newcastle were never going to win anything.

I think if you switch allegiances to Newcastle for the right reasons, ie you never had any real passion for those clubs which you claimed to support, and you then feel much more passionate about following Newcastle United.

Sounds from your description of your Grandad, you are a Newcastle fan at heart, but perhaps this feeling was supressed a few years back to try and fit with the 'in' crowd.

In the end of the day, it is up to you who you support, and not down to us Newcastle fans.

The thing that makes me think this is a win up is calling it a 'barcode' scarf.

EDIT: And yes my Grandad was a Geordie. Most of my Mums side is

Forgive us for being suspicious. This is the kind of thing someone would do asa wind up, and there was a mackem invasion yesterday.

It’s ok. The only reason why I called it a barcode scarf is because I work 5 days a week with two diehard Manc fans, and that’s all I ever here. Anyway, I’ll stop that now!

Guest Sniffer

My advice.........get out while you still can.

No but seriously...................................................................................get out while you still can.

Picking and choosing your football team is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

You're born with it, and you stick with it, end of.

I wasn’t born interested in Football. This is why it’s hard for me… Since leaving college though all I think about and look forward to is Football.

nee puffs mind.....

Ha. While tongue in cheek, I agree that it comes accross a little less Henry V and moves a bit far into Lord of the Rings territory there. *shiver*

By the by, there was a lad on Talk of the Tyne the other day asking about setting up a gay supporters club. Not entirely sure what he was expecting, but it didn't seem to go down too well over there. :lol: