Sir Bobby Robson - Legendary Newcastle United Manager?

James

Legendary Newcastle manager for me. I'd say he's the 2nd best manager we have ever had after Keegan and if he had been 10 years younger when he joined us I truly believe he would have been the best ever.

Guest Gemmill

Not sure about "legendary" because he won nothing, but he was definitely a great Newcastle manager in my book.  When you look at how fucking shite we are now, and then look at what he did with the squad of players he had at his disposal, the bloke was a class act. 

Legendary Newcastle manager for me. I'd say he's the 2nd best manager we have ever had after Keegan and if he had been 10 years younger when he joined us I truly believe he would have been the best ever.

So he was better ten years before, and there had been another manager less than five years before him who was better.

That would kind of contradict the idea of him being a legendary Newcastle manager.

Like Gemmill said, he was great, but in reality he is just a small drop in the ocean of our club history.

Before he came we were a mid-table team, He soon got us into a top 4 team and now he's gone we are a mid-table team again. He was a great manager for us and we have some fantastic european memories because of him but he's not a legend because he always stumbled at the last hurdle

He was/is legendary, but mostly for things achieved before he arrived at Newcastle, or for his whole career including Newcastle. His finest moment was probably winning the UEFA with Ipswich.

Good manager for us, though. As others have said, pity we got him so late in his life. If he'd picked us up where Keegan left off, maybe we would have consolidated our position in the top four. As it was, he nearly got us back there again.

Before he came we were a mid-table team,

Nonsense. We were off down.

I love Bobby Robson, absolutely love him and he's definitely a hero of mine. But that's only because i'm young and have only really followed Newcastle since 97/98 time, as this was the time when i properly understood football. Therefore, the only success we've ever had when i've followed the team, have been under Sir Bobby.

The achievement he made was absolutely superb, no doubt about it, and he built a fantastic young squad and should never, ever have been sacked. No, he didn't win a trophy, but he would have done having built that squad. That squad wasn't young or good enough to win the UEFA Cup or the Premier League at that point, but give them two years more experience and guidance under a coach like Bobby, they might well have done.

Tradgic that he left when he did, really.

He was a really good Newcastle manager, and although i loved him and thought his achievement was brilliant, he can't be regarded as 'legendary' given the fact that he didn't win even one trophy.

Guest andynufc84

First season he got us to middle table whilst sorting out a load of shite

Then we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in consecutive seasons. Got us into the champions league.

Bobby was absolutely fantastic for this club, legendary? I'm not so sure, but definately a legend over is whole career

Whilst he was in charge I used to look forward to going to SJP on match day.

So he was better ten years before, and there had been another manager less than five years before him who was better.

That would kind of contradict the idea of him being a legendary Newcastle manager.

He was better ten years before compared to what he was at the end. By the end of his reign I think it's well documented he had lost control of some of the more unruly players and was starting to show his age. Had he been 50 whe his reign at Newcastle started I truly think he'd still be manager now.

Bramble, Cort, Viana, Bassedas, too many mistakes in the transfer market (and big ones at that) and thats just for starters.

He did a lot right, a great guy and achieved so much elsewhere, but this club was even too much for him to handle, but the best NUFC manager in my lifetime, much better than Keegan.

Bramble, Cort, Viana, Bassedas, too many mistakes in the transfer market (and big ones at that) and thats just for starters.

He did a lot right, a great guy and achieved so much elsewhere, but this club was even too much for him to handle, but the best NUFC manager in my lifetime, much better than Keegan.

Can't really include Cort and Viana in that list of shit players that he signed, cos Cort was ace when he played and Viana was just never suited to this league. Both were good identifications really and you could also say that about Bramble.

The only thing he did wrong with Bramble was not sell him/give him a new contract.

But Bassedas, aye. Shit.

Bobby wasn't great in the transfer market and you can say that he spent an absolute shit load, but he a lot back in aswell. Which some people just choose to forget.

Errr, Joe Harvey?????

Being 17 and only really having a very basic knowledge of NUFC history pre-1990 I have no idea who Joe Harvey is.

Can't really include Cort and Viana in that list of shit players that he signed, cos Cort was ace when he played and Viana was just never suited to this league. Both were good identifications really and you could also say that about Bramble.

The only thing he did wrong with Bramble was not sell him/give him a new contract.

But Bassedas, aye. Shit.

Bobby wasn't great in the transfer market and you can say that he spent an absolute shit load, but he a lot back in aswell. Which some people just choose to forget.

Cort was shite and always always always injured, there are even rumours he bought the wrong player and wanted Euell, i can imaging that could possibly be true tbh!

Viana was slow and very slight, and it was obvious from the off that was the case and nothing would change, yet he went ahead and spent daft money on him. SBR even talked about the physical aspects needed to suceed in the EPL on regular occasions, its not something he could of taught the lad, he's not going to grow faster and stronger in a frame like that. SBR ruined Hugo's career imo, as the lad still hasn't recovered from the setbacks from his move here.

Viana, you've got a good argument tbh. It was a waste of money though i'd still argue it was a good spot by Sir Bob.

Cort wasn't shite though. The injuries just ruined him. And you can't blame Bobby for the injuries, can you?

Viana, you've got a good argument tbh. It was a waste of money though i'd still argue it was a good spot by Sir Bob.

Cort wasn't shite though. The injuries just ruined him. And you can't blame Bobby for the injuries, can you?

The spot really wasn't Bobbys.

The Italians voted him the best young player in the world, then bobby made his move.

Fuking Italian bastards! ;D

As for Cort i felt we'd been had when we signed him, just like Boumsong, i felt we'd fuked up. (Also his injury record was about 75% of what it was here, still wouldn't touch him with yours)

I didn't for Bramble, i felt their was enough 'potential' in him to succeed, but we all make mistakes ;)

I echo other people's thoughts that if Robson had came in when Keegan had left we would have probably won the league and possibly became a threat in Europe. Though we will never know. Deffinatly the second best manager we have had in recent times.

A legendary Newcastle manager? possibly in some people's eyes though he never won anything with Newcastle despite making us one of the most popular and entertaining sides in England during his reign.

Thank you bobby.

Guest NSMagpie

True legend among Newcastle managers will be the manager who brings the next FA Cup, or the League title.

Actually, I was surprised to find out, couple of years ago, that no manager ever won First Division title with Newcastle, as all four league trophies were taken with board of directors at the helm, not the single manager.

True legend among Newcastle managers will be the manager who brings the next FA Cup, or the League title.

Actually, I was surprised to find out, couple of years ago, that no manager ever won First Division title with Newcastle, as all four league trophies were taken with board of directors at the helm, not the single manager.

Evidence that Shepherd should just sack the Roeder and manage the team himself.

Guest NSMagpie

Evidence that Shepherd should just sack the Roeder and manage the team himself.

;D Aye, but he needs at least another football "expert" to form the board. Perhaps young Douglas Hall could join Shepherd in that effort?

When you look at the situation he inherited, where he took us to, and what's happened after he left, his ability can't be questioned. I don't like the word 'legend', but he was the best manager we've had by far.