Anyone else worried about Martins...

tmonkey

That is absolutely ridiculous. Why should Martins be forced to play for his country if he doesnt want to? And why should we suffer for it, unless it can be proven for a fact that we ordered him not to play for Nigeria?

Guest elbee909

That is absolutely ridiculous. Why should Martins be forced to play for his country if he doesnt want to? And why should we suffer for it, unless it can be proven for a fact that we ordered him not to play for Nigeria?

FIFA are bricking it over the various issues, club vs country, player freedom etc., so are particularly heavy-handed with the consequences for clubs.  I do think if it went to a proper legal battle that FIFA wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but while a challenge such as that went ahead FIFA would influence the domestic FAs to punish the relevant clubs; no-one wants to be on the end of that while waiting for a proper legal challenge to go through and so the status quo is maintained.

FIFA are bullies who are frightened by the prospect of losing revenue and will go to any lengths to protect it.

Guest ChickenKiev

I feel Roeder was wrong in the first place to ask him not to play for his country. He has put mArtins in an awkward situation. Disgusting really.

Remember Thuram and Makalele were forced to play for France

Thuram:

"Last year, Domenech chose to bring me back into the squad against my will too"

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413873&CPID=219&clid=368&lid=11&title=Thuram+hits+out+at+Mourinho

Makalele

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says Claude Makelele is being treated as "a slave" by France coach Raymond Domenech.

Domenech has insisted Makelele reports for Euro 2008 qualifiers against Georgia and Italy, despite the midfielder announcing his retirement.

"Makelele is not a football player - Makelele is a slave," said Mourinho.

Fifa rules state Makelele faces a domestic ban if he does not turn up for France and Mourinho added: "We have no chance. The rules are there."

Makelele, 33, came back from retirement to help France qualify for the 2006 World Cup where he was on the losing side to Italy in the final.

"He's played the biggest game you can, the World Cup final, and now wants to retire but the coach told us if he is not playing for France, he is not playing for Chelsea," said Mourinho.

"We know the rules. You are a slave, you have no human rights."

Guest Ridzuan

To be honest,I think the players should be blame too if he doesnt want to play for his country without any reason whatsoever.Youre a professional footballer,you love to play football and it must mean a lot to you to represent your country.Anyone who doesnt have any pride in playing for their country,then something must be wrong with them.

To be honest,I think the players should be blame too if he doesnt want to play for his country without any reason whatsoever.Youre a professional footballer,you love to play football and it must mean a lot to you to represent your country.Anyone who doesnt have any pride in playing for their country,then something must be wrong with them.

Martins has a right to be pissed at his FA though, they could have ruined his career.

Everyone has their own agenda and history. Like at club level some players dont get on with some managers and have past aggreivances..

Had this been a competitive match of any significance I could see the outrage. But Oba has played more matches this season than he ever has and he knows how much we rely on him.

At the end of the day it has to be down to the player who they want to play for. Its up to the relevant FA to decide whether or not they pick the players in the future.

Whilst I disagree with the constant increase in "player power" there is no point having someone in your squad if they have any inclination not to be there.

The respect and professionalism has to work both ways.

Guest ChickenKiev

Whilst I disagree with the constant increase in "player power" there is no point having someone in your squad if they have any inclination not to be there.

The respect and professionalism has to work both ways.

Does that go for Dyer too?

Heres the full quote of what he said which is where he says we let him go :

"Martins, to my great surprise, was not here. He was called up to the squad two weeks ago, and Newcastle allowed him to play," he said.

"He is nowhere to be found. I should take it to the highest authority, because it is the highest level of indiscipline and disrespect."

from here http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=martins-no%2Dshow-infuriates-nigeria%26method=full%26objectid=18587530%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Heres the full quote of what he said which is where he says we let him go :

"Martins, to my great surprise, was not here. He was called up to the squad two weeks ago, and Newcastle allowed him to play," he said.

"He is nowhere to be found. I should take it to the highest authority, because it is the highest level of indiscipline and disrespect."

from here http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=martins-no%2Dshow-infuriates-nigeria%26method=full%26objectid=18587530%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

going slightly over the top dont you think....the highest level of indiscipline and disrespect would be going on a drink and drugs bender,killing  the managers mother whist having ecstacy fuelled sex then returning to her funeral to tell everyone she went happy then wanking on her grave...that is the highest level if indiscipline. and disrespect.

Guest elbee909

I don't see what being a professional footballer has to have to do with necessarily representing your country.  They can be mutually exclusive, it's entirely up to the individual.

Guest elbee909

Martins probably turned up, showed them his passport and the Nigerian FA said "nah, where's the 28 year old Martins we have on our books?  Get lost kid."

If we allowed him to play and he didn't turn up surely this is a matter between Nigeria and Oba, we have fulfilled our obligations, the only complication I see is if Oba says that we told him not to turn up!

Martins has a right to be pissed at his FA though, they could have ruined his career.

Too right, they can fuck right off.

Guest Ridzuan

Yes,we have made an annoucement saying that we have allowed him to play but for some reason,I believe Glenn Roeder has managed to convince Martins not to play,hence making him the guilty party and the club innocent.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702060746.html

According to this link, he was in Lagos attending to his sick mother, who he is going to bring to England for treatment. Apparently he was in London on Sunday to try to contact the Nigeria manager, but he was unsuccessful in doing so.

And.... he's apparently got a new mansion on Tyneside.

This story somewhat contradicts a poster over on Tyne Talk or Toontastic, who say they saw him going into his apartment blocks last night.

I hope this is true.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~977436,00.html

It's up on the main site now. They say he was visiting his mother.

He's back in training today.

Great news. If the Nigerian FA tries to do anything now, I hope he refuses to play for them again. Their treatment of him has been terrible. I bet the manager stayed away from him on purpose when Oba tried to contact him.

Hope his mom gets better, btw.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702060746.html

According to this link, he was in Lagos attending to his sick mother, who he is going to bring to England for treatment. Apparently he was in London on Sunday to try to contact the Nigeria manager, but he was unsuccessful in doing so.

And.... he's apparently got a new mansion on Tyneside.

This story somewhat contradicts a poster over on Tyne Talk or Toontastic, who say they saw him going into his apartment blocks last night.

I hope this is true.

I hope this is not true. Would rather Martins got banned for the rest of the season than have a sick mother (unless it's a cold of course).

going slightly over the top dont you think....the highest level of indiscipline and disrespect would be going on a drink and drugs bender,killing  the managers mother whist having ecstacy fuelled sex then returning to her funeral to tell everyone she went happy then wanking on her grave...that is the highest level if indiscipline. and disrespect.

That's a lot of indiscipline and disrespect!  mackems.gif

Guest Sniffer

Seems strange to me, in this day and age, that it's impossible for a player to get in touch with the manager of an international team prior to a game. Or an assistant in the event of an emergency.

Somebody is telling porkies.