Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

No no, well done on Stoke getting into Europe, it is an achievement, I'm just upset at how the press go on and on about how the measure of a team is how they go up against the Stoke style of play, and yet I bet if Italian footy is brought up the same pundits will criticise Italian footy as boring and defensive.

Stoke have a good thing going for them results wise but it's not pretty to watch.

Not really. When City played Napoli I believe the pundits were rightly complimentary of their attacking style of play.

Think people let their hatred of Stoke's playing style cloud their actual achievements  :sadnod:

Obviously, sometimes pundits' seeming lack of knowledge can be annoying, but as Wullie says, networks have to cater for the average fan, not creeps who want detailed information on the Bulgarian 3rd division.

Not sure what you guys are expecting tbh. Pulis should be criticised despite getting Stoke into Europe and establishing them as a Premier League team?

Obviously I don't particularly enjoy watching them play but he has maximised his resources imo.

Not exactly limited are they? They've spent a small fortune since they came up.

Guest Haris Vuckic

No no, well done on Stoke getting into Europe, it is an achievement, I'm just upset at how the press go on and on about how the measure of a team is how they go up against the Stoke style of play, and yet I bet if Italian footy is brought up the same pundits will criticise Italian footy as boring and defensive.

Stoke have a good thing going for them results wise but it's not pretty to watch.

Not really. When City played Napoli I believe the pundits were rightly complimentary of their attacking style of play.

Think people let their hatred of Stoke's playing style cloud their actual achievements  :sadnod:

Obviously, sometimes pundits' seeming lack of knowledge can be annoying, but as Wullie says, networks have to cater for the average fan, not creeps who want detailed information on the Bulgarian 3rd division.

The ''Italian'' style of play descends from English anyway (specifically an Italian coach watching a Man U centre half) although in Italy they call it the padlock, Milan were the first team to really break that in the late 80's but now lots of Italian teams play different stlyes.

It's a tired worn out cliche although someone has to tell that to the azzurri...

Not sure what you guys are expecting tbh. Pulis should be criticised despite getting Stoke into Europe and establishing them as a Premier League team?

Obviously I don't particularly enjoy watching them play but he has maximised his resources imo.

Spent a decent amount but I struggle to see much else Pulis could have done to achieve more success at Stoke.

Attracting wonderful footballing players to the Britannia isn't a particularly easy task. We may not like the way they play but you can bet there aren't many Stoke fans complaining.

Spent a decent amount but I struggle to see much else Pulis could have done to achieve more success at Stoke.

Attracting wonderful footballing players to the Britannia isn't a particularly easy task. We may not like the way they play but you can bet there aren't many Stoke fans complaining.

They've spent £20-25 million in every window since they came up. More than just about everybody outside of the big guns. For that kind of expenditure I'd be expecting more than 13th place finishes, limited football and a midfield of Dean Whitehead and Rory Delap.

He attracted Tuncay, then barely played him because he was too talented for them.

Then he spent £10m on Peter Crouch, which should be considered a criminal offence.

He's had to build a Premier League side from scratch. 3 seasons of safety, a cup final and now European football isn't too shabby tbf.

Obviously they've overpaid for the likes of Crouch but they do seem to be improving each season which must be incredibly difficult at an unfashionable club such as Stoke.

Don't want to come across as some sort of advocate for Stoke's playing style but imo it's brought them the greatest possible success. Tuncay doesn't even get in the Bolton team, does he Ali?

He's had to build a Premier League side from scratch.

He's built 2 or 3, chopped them apart again and ended up going back to the same old crap repeatedly. They play shite football and use some of the most dirty under-hand tactics going yet get praised to the heavens for it. All of which wouldn't be too much of an irritance if the myth about 'limited resources' didn't get bandied about all the time. They've got massive resources, what they're doing now should be the minimum requirement. I'm actually surprised their fans aren't asking questions yet.

He's had to build a Premier League side from scratch.

He's built 2 or 3, chopped them apart again and ended up going back to the same old crap repeatedly. They play shite football and use some of the most dirty under-hand tactics going yet get praised to the heavens for it. All of which wouldn't be too much of an irritance if the myth about 'limited resources' didn't get bandied about all the time. They've got massive resources, what they're doing now should be the minimum requirement. I'm actually surprised their fans aren't asking questions yet, and are too interested in this rather than looking at the bigger picture and thinking, that actually, it's about time they improved.

The impression I get is they tend to thrive on a siege mentality. They seem to enjoy being labelled as nasty old Stoke with their long throw-ins and physical, direct play. Pulis I think has done a good job so far in terms of establishing them in the Premier League but with the resources they have available, they should be looking at improving their football and progressing as a club. But it seems the club as a whole is relishing the whole "everyone hates Stoke" mentality that's knocked about.

The fact a 35 year old Rory Delap is still a starter for them says everything you need to know about Stoke. An absolutely hideous player, easily the poorest central midfielder in the league for me, offers absolute nowt bar his chuck.

Fair play to them though, it works so why change it.

I'd imagine their fans aren't asking questions because they have just been to the FA Cup final, have had a decent start to the season and have a European campaign to look forward to......

Has their been a club of a similar stature to Stoke who have achieved more in recent years while playing a fabulous brand of football?

The fact a 35 year old Rory Delap is still a starter for them says everything you need to know about Stoke. An absolutely hideous player, easily the poorest central midfielder in the league for me, offers absolute nowt bar his chuck.

Would be outclassed in The Championship, easily.

I'd imagine their fans aren't asking questions because they have just been to the FA Cup final, have had a decent start to the season and have a European campaign to look forward to......

Has their been a club of a similar stature to Stoke who have achieved more in recent years while playing a fabulous brand of football?

:lol: Stop twisting the argument man, no-one mentioned anything about them playing "brilliant football". The issue at hand is there's an exaggeration of how well Stoke are doing. As I've said, Pulis has done well in establishing them in this league, but as Sewelly says there's this fantasy that he's been working with limited resources. They've had a fair bit to spend but doesn't seem intent on progressing the team as a footballing entity which is very disappointing to see.

Fair play to them though, it works so why change it.

:nods:

It's not about stature. Football is about how much money you spend, the top of the Premier League shows that.  Stoke's league positions are disproportionate for how much money they've spent. This season will be interesting for them, is it progress if they finish in a similar league positions despite yet further investment?

Same goes for the mackems tbh. The always console themselves with the 'best squad in 50 years' bollocks when in reality they're probably underachieving given the money spent since promotion.

I think with Stoke and Sunderland to a lesser extent you have to take the net spend with a pinch of salt as they were playing severe catch up with the rest of the league when they got promoted. If you look at their team that got them up there was only really Lawrence, Shawcross, Fuller and Whelan that any sort of real 'Premiership' ability about them.

Just as I was looking at btw, 3rd last home game of the season for Stoke in the year they went up. Att: 15,756 :lol:

I think with Stoke and Sunderland to a lesser extent you have to take the net spend with a pinch of salt as they were playing severe catch up with the rest of the league when they got promoted. If you look at their team that got them up there was only really Lawrence, Shawcross, Fuller and Whelan that any sort of real 'Premiership' ability about them.

Aye fair enough, that's the one thing I overlook. My argument is though that a lot of the players they've spent money on to progress have since left and they're still playing Rory fucking Delap.

Like I said though, next year or 2 will be interesting.

Yes, they've spent a decent amount of money but, in my opinion, to say they've underachieved in their first 3 seasons in the Premier League is completely ludicrous.

Like I say, I don't enjoy watching them and can only wish AIDS upon their players, but Pulis probably deserves all the praise that comes his way. In all honsesty, I was completely unaware that they receive ridiculous amounts of praise.