Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest firetotheworks

Left Wingers/Left Forwards are definitely allowed to be no 14 as well imo.

Agreed. Cruyff and Henry #14. 16,17,18,20 has to be an up & coming strikers/attackers.

Aye, and Dave Ginola.

Left Wingers/Left Forwards are definitely allowed to be no 14 as well imo.

Agreed. Cruyff and Henry #14. 16,17,18,20 has to be an up & coming strikers/attackers.

Aye, and Dave Ginola.

Was trying to not state the Newcastle based ones to add further validity.

1. Keeper

2. RB

3. LB

4. DM

5. CB

6. CB

7. RW/LW

8. Second Forward/LW/RW/CM

9. CF

10. Best Midfielder/Playmaker

11. CF 2/LW/RW

IMO.

8 is always a centre midfielder and 11/7 always left/right wing IMO

Nah it goes both ways IMO, Ribery was LW who wore 7, Ronaldo played LW and wore 7. Robben wore 11 at Real as a RW.

My favorite is the number 4 because of all the different types of players to wear it for us and other teams. Solano - right wing. Nolan - CAM. Viera - box to box? Fabregas - Playmaker. Gerrard for England wore it, too.

I don't like it when defenders wear it like Ramos, Kompany, etc...

Should definitely just scrap having a squad number and issue them numbers 1 to 11 on a match-by-match basis, like.

Immediate custodial sentences for any zany fans walking round in "BIG DAZ 69" tops anarl.

:lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Always thought of 4 as a number for defensive midfielders that just want to knack everyone, which is why I never thought it suited Cabaye who was a 7 all day long.

I've modified it in terms of #7 and #10 are you best 2 midfielders, preferably one is the all-around (Lee, Jenas, Dyer) and the 10 is maestro (Beardsley, HBA).  For #11 I'd say he's more of a LW (Giggs) or the 2nd best striker in the team (Ferdinand).  For #8 I think of a striker, attacking midfielder or something like that too.

Feel like 7,8,10,11 are all your attacker/numbers capable of being strikers, wingers, or your all-around box to box (See Lee in his prime and not Sissoko) 9 being your main out and out CF of course.

I think I've settled on Ruel Fox being number 5 in 1994 being the only right answer, everything else branches off from there in this crazy Premier League world.

The great Liverpool sides of the 80s had 4 and 6 at central defence and 5 in midfield whether it be Ray Kennedy, Ronnie Whelan or Craig Johnston.

Cabaye wasn't a right winger though. Cabaye should've been #8.

Nah.

I'd have to say "yes", but not to be contrary. It's just he wasn't a right winger and so in my OCD mind he should not wear 7. I think 8 would have been the better number for him.

On an aside but still regarding my pet hate of wrong squad numbers, the only thing alladyce did that I really agreed with was that he gave Harper 13, which I think sub keepers should have.

Guest firetotheworks

I always think of 8s as looking like a number 8 in a way :lol: Slightly rotund, not very fast, but skillful, sometimes gets stuck in. Beardsley, Lampard, Arshavin, Scholes, I'm talking shite.

Guest firetotheworks

Basically, the answer is that we're all affected by the team that we grew up watching and stubbornly think that we're the ones that are right.

Rob Lee played most of his career in centre midfield, therefore all number 7s have to be centre midfield otherwise I have to be sick at how disgusting it is.

I always think of 8s as looking like a number 8 in a way [emoji38] Slightly rotund, not very fast, but skillful, sometimes gets stuck in. Beardsley, Lampard, Arshavin, Scholes, I'm talking shite.

Arshavin is as close to a number 10 as possible

I always think of 8s as looking like a number 8 in a way [emoji38] Slightly rotund, not very fast, but skillful, sometimes gets stuck in. Beardsley, Lampard, Arshavin, Scholes, I'm talking shite.

Sammy Lee was the archetypal 8 in your eyes then [emoji38] Your method certainly works with him.