Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I wish my dad would fall out of love with football completely because his patter does my head in. "African players only have 1 good season then you have to get rid of them" was one of his pearls of wisdom the other day.

This is exactly the same for me. The rubbish he comes out with now is ridiculous. Last weekends pearl of wisdom was after Rodriguez dived for Southampton, "They should scrap that goal and call the match a 0-0 draw". After I explained what he was actually saying he finally said it was probably a stupid statement. That was after half an hour debate getting through to him.

Guest firetotheworks

My dad pretty much stopped watching football altogether once diving and play acting started really taking off. He almost exclusively watches Moto GP now after about 25 years of watching football. It's a shame,but I understand why he stopped caring anymore.

My Dad falling out of love with the game completely and not watching it at all now. He is just sick of everything about it :(

Similar to mine, mind yours has seemingly gone further. He'll keep track of results and news and watch if it happens to be on but just doesn't have the passion like he did 10 years ago.

Still tells me about all the away day stories of the 70s/80s. Shame he doesn't have that level of passion but I think that will hold true for an awful lot of people.

Mine's along the same lines too. He was taken to Spurs by his Uncle Cyril in the late 50s and onwards, and has always told loads of stories from the 60s...but they have become more wistful over the years. He and I were huge fans throughout the 80s (he adored Hoddle, and the 85-87 team), but there were signs of his disillusionment when the Premiership started.

The thing is, he detests so much about the game at the top level now, and talks about walking away, yet he can't resist watching Spurs and has got Sky/ESPN etc etc again over the last couple of years. We start a conversation about the horrors of the modern game, but eventually it just becomes us talking about Spurs, just as it always was. He went to Barnet games with a friend for years, then got a season ticket at Watford with another friend because I think it reminded him of how football "should" be.

He played decent football almost until his 50s, and was an excellent goalkeeper. I think it hits him harder because some of his identity comes from football, and so he just can't walk away. It's still something we share too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/17/high-ticket-prices-premier-league

But Clarke said that there was a danger that young adults between 18 and 30 were being priced out of top-flight football and instead watching in the pub or on illegal streams online. "It's very important that we keep football accessible. The evidence indicates that the 18-30 age group, when people come out of the family tickets and have to pay in their own right, is declining," said Clarke.

"There is a danger of future generations being lost. If it doesn't maintain its attraction to all sections of the community, they are selling the national game short."

I do wonder if the next generation of fans to come through won't have been taken to games much due to prices and then won't bother. Can see attendances plummeting in 10-20 years.

I reckon my dad will sack off his season ticket at the end of this season, he seems to miss more matches than he bothers with. He got me addicted to Newcastle so personally I think he should continue suffering. :lol:

I can't ever imagine my dad losing his interest in football and he's 62.  I think you just have to accept, as you get older, that everything in life changes and people are more likely to look back on what they remember as being better.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/17/high-ticket-prices-premier-league

But Clarke said that there was a danger that young adults between 18 and 30 were being priced out of top-flight football and instead watching in the pub or on illegal streams online. "It's very important that we keep football accessible. The evidence indicates that the 18-30 age group, when people come out of the family tickets and have to pay in their own right, is declining," said Clarke.

"There is a danger of future generations being lost. If it doesn't maintain its attraction to all sections of the community, they are selling the national game short."

I do wonder if the next generation of fans to come through won't have been taken to games much due to prices and then won't bother. Can see attendances plummeting in 10-20 years.

Good on Clarke, need more people in the game to be constantly bringing attention to this type of thing. It's all wrong at the moment.

The money side of the game.  Admission prices are off the scale. Premier league games regularly cost £40+. Wages are too high,  resulting in players choosing clubs like QPR ahead of  a well supported club with a beautiful stadium like ourselves.  Not bitter eh?  Also this season in general.  It's not just what is or isn't happening at the toon. Its things like reading coming back from the dead v WBA, then Southampton coming back from 2 down at Chelsea.  Sometimes seems like a conspiracy.

Guest bimpy474

Players who commit fouls on purpose, or know they have fouled someone, yet still have the front to have a go at the ref when he gives it.

Guest firetotheworks

The switch from 'ages to go, to THERE'S NO TIME' when going from being in front, to drawing and then inevitably falling behind.

Guest tollemache

Players who commit fouls on purpose, or know they have fouled someone, yet still have the front to have a go at the ref when he gives it.

nah, I categorize that along with things like appealing for every single throw. Acceptable kidology. Depends what you mean by having a go mind

Guest tollemache

on an unrelated note, is there a way to make this forum darker? I can never line up the last post and the thread title, it's light-on-light

Guest neesy111

Whoever thought it was a good idea to introduce user comments to the BBC Sport website wants fucking shooting.

In what way?  They are shite or the idiots that make the comments?