Oba to be banned from national team.

Guest JamesD

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/6345871.stm

Striker Obafemi Martins looks set to be banned from Nigeria's national team for missing Tuesday's clash with Ghana.

Newcastle United released the striker for the game but Martins travelled to Lagos to be with his sick mother.

His absence has infuriated the football authorities in his country, who say a severe punishment will deter others.

"We have issued him a seven-day ultimatum to defend his gross act of indiscipline," Nigeria FA boss Sani Lulu said.

"He had several days to decide on being with his mother and instead of informing coach Austin Eguavoen he left everyone waiting.

"Whatever happens, even if we have to consider his action on compassionate ground, he will still serve a severe punishment for a total lack of respect.

"Hopefully, his punishment will serve as a deterrent to others.

Nigeria coach Austin Eguavoen, who was equally livid for the striker's no-show during the 4-1 defeat to the Black Stars, says Obafemi acted unprofessionally.

"Martins was called up to the squad two weeks before the game and Newcastle released him for that purpose yet he flew straight to Lagos," Eguavoen fumed.

"Such a ridiculous act is highly unprofessional and the highest level of indiscipline and disrespect.

"All he needed to do was make a single phone call but he never thought it wise to reach us.

"I think he deserves whatever punishment is meted out to him."

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder tried to explain the situation that Martins had taken advantage of a Fifa "free day" to bring his mother to England for medical attention.

But the striker's absence has been greeted with severe criticism back in Nigeria, as the local media slammed him for staying away.

Local media say Martins was nearly mobbed by angry fans at the departure hall of the Lagos International Airport on his way back to England two days ago.

if its a permanent ban, that would be very unfortunate. I was looking forward to maybe seeing him play at the WC one day.

Hey, this is our only fit striker and with Owen gone our only decent striker we have at the club. If he doesnt play international football it will only be good for us. Next year it is the African championship right? If he doesnt play in it I for one will be nothing but glad.

From a Toon persepctive, this isn't so bad: the worst thing that could happen would be for FIFA to ban him playing for us. Actually, the worst thing that could happen is that he gets chinned by irate fans next time he's in Lagos and gets both his legs broken.

I wouldn't have thought FIFA could interfere could they? He didn't tell the team he wasn't gonna play...that has nothing to do with FIFA....he disobeyed the coach or however you wanna put it....so its up to the coach and the nigerian FA....

If they ban him...psssh whatever...more games for us without the international risk of injury....win / win.....unless it effects him on a psychological level..but i doubt it.....Ban away Nigeria....

I wouldn't have thought FIFA could interfere could they? He didn't tell the team he wasn't gonna play...that has nothing to do with FIFA....he disobeyed the coach or however you wanna put it....so its up to the coach and the nigerian FA....

If they ban him...psssh whatever...more games for us without the international risk of injury....win / win.....unless it effects him on a psychological level..but i doubt it.....Ban away Nigeria....

I thought FIFA could impose punishments for players who refuse to join up with their national sides: see the Makelele case.

I thought FIFA could impose punishments for players who refuse to join up with their national sides: see the Makelele case.

Ooooh yeah....shit....Still tho wasn't the makelele stuff about the club vs. country shite whereas martins rejected the team to go help his sick mum....Still tho it is FIFA..you never know with those fools...

Can Nigeria not dish out some kind of domestic ban to Babayoyo while they're in the banning mood?

:police:

I was hoping along the same lines, ie forcing him to play for them every week.

maybe the ROI can follow suit with Carr.

Great news for us really if true, very poor play by the Nigerian FA that have messed the lad around enough already. Hard for Oba..good news for us.

Assuming a decent manager ever comes along for the Super Eagles (which admittedly beggars belief sometimes) he will probably just kick some sense into the FA and get Martins reinstated.

In the short term, good for us since we don't have to worry about pesky international friendlies.

In the long term, definitely hope he gets reinstated since something like this has to be a huge blow to a young lad's confidence. While I hope he ends up missing the African Cup of Nations, he should definitely be back on the squad for the next World Cup. Doubly so considering that with their current crop of youth coming along quite nicely, Nigeria might very well fancy their chances on the first World Cup to be held on their home continent.

Assuming a decent manager ever comes along for the Super Eagles (which admittedly beggars belief sometimes) he will probably just kick some sense into the FA and get Martins reinstated.

In the short term, good for us since we don't have to worry about pesky international friendlies.

In the long term, definitely hope he gets reinstated since something like this has to be a huge blow to a young lad's confidence. While I hope he ends up missing the African Cup of Nations, he should definitely be back on the squad for the next World Cup. Doubly so considering that with their current crop of youth coming along quite nicely, Nigeria might very well fancy their chances on the first World Cup to be held on their home continent.

Totally agree, would be great to see him do well for his country in the WC....as long as he's still playing for us of course!!

Short term...champion!!!

no chance they will ban him forever. It's happened before with some of their other big name players they have had and they ended up coming back

They will re-call him up when they're doing $hit in the qualifiers, their coach gets sacked and the Nigerian fans will demand to see Oba reinstated.

Erm, doesn't he have to play a certain number of his country's international games to get a work permit, or has he got a mysterious Greek granny, like Nobby?

he has an Italian passport having lived there since he was 15, 14 years ago...

Or is that joke still too fresh to make a comeback?

Erm, doesn't he have to play a certain number of his country's international games to get a work permit, or has he got a mysterious Greek granny, like Nobby?

he has an Italian passport having lived there since he was 15

:thup:

Guest Knightrider

He'll have a Geordie granny somehwere, otherwise we wouldn't have bought him surely? That or he knew the area well. In fact he's probably related to Shola.

Guest justin99.

I bet had Nigeria won the friendly, we wouldn't have heard anything about this. There just looking for someone to blame for shocking performance.

The most worrying point about this is the alleged brawl in the lagos airport.

Guest Stephen927

The only thing I agree with in the article is that he should have rung and let them know at some point. But I guess that never enters your head when your mam falls ill.

Extremely harsh punishment if it happens.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Martins is a player who can handle playing Prem + International football, and I think it's a terrible shame he could be getting banned from the world stage.