St James' Park

Delima

Obviously any income is (in theory) beneficial to our future spending power. I still don't see the point in raking over so much old ground.

Anyway, nothing to do with me really, go ahead.

The point I was trying to make was that Llambias is saying we'll use the money to get a player in while we don't need to re-name the ground as we already have money to spend.

FWIW I don't think that means we should raise income from any source. The stadium name I think should be sacred. Just to clarify like.

Newcastle United, St James' Park and the black and white shirt are the only three things which shouldn't change.  I wasn't that bothered with the @St James' Park change as we still retained the name, that's now gone.

If we do manage to find a sponsor it will just be £10m less Ashley has to put into transfers. No benefit for us.

Thats a silly statement, as any business should be self sufficent and not having to pump cash into via an owner.

That

FWIW I don't think that means we should raise income from any source. The stadium name I think should be sacred. Just to clarify like.

Newcastle United, St James' Park and the black and white shirt are the only three things which shouldn't change.  I wasn't that bothered with the @St James' Park change as we still retained the name, that's now gone.

my thoughts exactly Mick- must be the fact we've followed the club a lot longer- standing on wind swept terraces, season tickets in lower divisions year on year, than these Baggio type Jonny come latelys, that it means more to us.

Statement re the renaming of St James' Park

Cabinet Member for Quality of Life, Coun Henri Murison, said: “The name of St James’ Park has been synonymous with Newcastle United football club and the city for more than 130 years.

“It is recognised around the world and the decision to change it, without consultation, will upset the overwhelming majority of fans who loyally support the team week in and week out.

“While I understand the commercial reasons for renaming sports venues when they relocate, this is not the case in this instance, and some things are beyond profit when they mean so much to people.

“The football club is part of the beating heart of the city, and while the council values its relationship with the club, it has no plans to change any existing wayfinding signs which bear the name St James’ Park.

“As far as the fans and Newcastle City Council are concerned, the home of Newcastle United will always be known as St James’ Park.”

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/news-story/statement-re-renaming-st-james-park

:thup: :thup:

Great words from Stelling in his article too.

my thoughts exactly Mick- must be the fact we've followed the club a lot longer- standing on wind swept terraces, season tickets in lower divisions year on year, than these Baggio type Jonny come latelys, that it means more to us.

I look back fondly to the times when you had to wade through piss to get out of the Gallowgate, that's sad really.

And then the shirt will be 'gone'.

I look back fondly to the times when you had to wade through piss to get out of the Gallowgate, that's sad really.

the smell that made your eyes water :lol:

How did you get that from what I said?

We'll sign a striker in January and the rest will be earmarked for spending over the next 2 or 3 summers.

So we don't need £8 million.

Depends if you want to spend more or not.

Like I said more profit means more expendable cash for transfers.

It doesn't in the Ashley philosophy like :lol:

Doesn't it?

On that philosophy, we'd have spent a canny bit in the Summer (I don't think we were operating with losses of £39m or whatever it was we made).

I don't remember us making that much, unless we're not including what I presume are decent signing on fees to Ba and Marveaux, they also failed to get another striker they wanted that's now apparently set up for January.

Like I said the money for Carroll will be used over a few years, not just one summer.

are you using a magic 8 ball to tell us this? the wum spin is in over drive

It's my opinion, what's yours?

That Ashley is 'trousering' the money? Despite the accounts showing he hasn't ever taken money out?

£28.8 million (30 June 2009 £nil) is secured on future broadcasting income, of which £12.3 million is repayable in August 2010 and the remainder, £16.5 million is repayable after more than one year (see note 13).

The loan of £16.5 million from Mr M J W Ashley is secured on future broadcasting income and is repayable no earlier than August 2011.

We'll see in the 2011 & 2012 accounts if this happened, but I certainly wouldn't bet against it. Would you?

I do look at European clubs that have multiple sponsors all over the shirt and shorts in disgust, I must admit. Might not be long before we have stuff like that - Sports Direct along the back of the shirt and the player name on the bottom.

I can't see the colours changing, but I can see the addition of more and more sponsors.

I do look at European clubs that have multiple sponsors all over the shirt and shorts in disgust, I must admit. Might not be long before we have stuff like that - Sports Direct along the back of the shirt and the player name on the bottom.

I can't see the colours changing, but I can see the addition of more and more sponsors.

League rules dictate what can and can't be sponsored. Although I fully expect the PL to yield to the lure of more coin.

just heard Llambiarse on Total Sport,  'Totally respect the history and tradition of the club'.

Erm, no you don't you fucking bare-faced liar!

Honestly don't know why he bothers saying stuff like that. If he believes it's essential to sell the naming rights, he should just say that.