St James' Park

Delima

The Spurs stadium is lush, but I get what you mean with the exterior. However for it’s location, it works.

That exterior wouldn’t really work at Leazers Park, but something like the Lucas Oil Field exterior would.

Everything else done at Spurs’ new stadium works well.

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The Spurs stadium is lush, but I get what you mean with the exterior. However for it’s location, it works.

That exterior wouldn’t really work at Leazers Park, but something like the Lucas Oil Field exterior would.

Everything else done at Spurs’ new stadium works well.

Aye, I was blown away by it like from the inside. The two behind the goal stands are epic. 

42 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm actually not opposed in theory to Castle Leazes/Leazes Park build. If done well it could be the best outcome for the setting of the listed buildings while also expanding the park into the city centre and making it a real amenity feature of the city as well as a usable thoroughfare on matchdays.

I just think modern new build stadiums are shit. If you let any of the current mainstream stadium architects get a hold of it it will be a giant spaceship/bowl with no character. Every new stadium and redevelopment at the moment has exactly the same fundament design with variations to the exoskeletal facade. 

A football stadium, especially in England, should have four clearly recognisable stands from inside and out. I have no idea why this stopped being the case but it did, sometime after around 2006. 

Just don't understand why anybody would want a copy of the Spurs stadium or any of the rubbish from the Qatar World Cup. 

The all-new Bernabeu is anything but shit. That would be my template for a new stadium.

It's an amazing piece of infrastructure particularly in respect to the folding pitch but I think it looks utterly shit from the outside. The Nou Camp renovation is going to look absolutely identical too. Once two of the most distinctive stadiums in the world that you will now struggle to tell apart.

27 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Just build a massive East Stand that incorporates these listed buildings within the structure. 

Can be re defined 

Like Luton where you have to go through the buildings to get into the stand

We have rich owners, who have a 'build from scratch' city in the fucking desert under their portfolio. What if, they are able to get the best construction companies and architects in the world, to design and build a stadium that would go against whatever shit atmosphere, soulles, shit exterior, bowl, spaceship design stadium out there, break those trends and give us a proper/old fashioned English stadium, keeping with the traditional designs and features but with modern facilities? 

Edited by nufcjb

52 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Just build a massive East Stand that incorporates these listed buildings within the structure. 

Can be re defined 

Kinda like this idea. Keep the buildings as they are. Build the stand around them. Gut the inside of the buildings and turn it into the Newcastle United Museum or something. 

A sliding door at the bottom of the back of the East Stand like Centre Court at Wimbledon now - for light purpose on none match days would be better than it is now even if they built over the road - obviously just thinking outside the box because luckily we've the only ownership where SJP and expansion is possible.

St James Terrace can be sacrificed yet I'd love to keep those cobbles as part of things.

28 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's an amazing piece of infrastructure particularly in respect to the folding pitch but I think it looks utterly shit from the outside. The Nou Camp renovation is going to look absolutely identical too. Once two of the most distinctive stadiums in the world that you will now struggle to tell apart.

The Bernabeu renovation looks absolutely awful from the outside as well.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm actually not opposed in theory to Castle Leazes/Leazes Park build. If done well it could be the best outcome for the setting of the listed buildings while also expanding the park into the city centre and making it a real amenity feature of the city as well as a usable thoroughfare on matchdays.

I just think modern new build stadiums are shit. If you let any of the current mainstream stadium architects get a hold of it it will be a giant spaceship/bowl with no character. Every new stadium and redevelopment at the moment has exactly the same fundament design with variations to the exoskeletal facade. 

A football stadium, especially in England, should have four clearly recognisable stands from inside and out. I have no idea why this stopped being the case but it did, sometime after around 2006. 

Just don't understand why anybody would want a copy of the Spurs stadium or any of the rubbish from the Qatar World Cup. 

Was it not because grounds were built over time and when in need of renewal so individuality wasn’t the intention just more circumstance.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

The fans want the stadium to stay in the city centre. That is the unnegotiable part. The vast majority of the fanbase would accept relocation to Leazes Park. And if this feasiblity study rules out East Stand redevelopment then I think it's nailed on that the move will be outlined to the supporters.

There may well be a point in the near future when the fanbase are going to have to decide how far they want this club to go and what sacrifices they want to make to get there.

I have put two sections of your post (Wandy) in bold.

First section - just simply not true ("vast majority" !!!!) just not true at all.

Second section - not relevant to the point under discussion.

Can you imagine having to leave SJP, with all its heritage and massive historical and current significance to the people, just to preserve the heritage of some buildings that few locals care about and no one outside knows about or visits. Buildings which seem to be inhabited almost entirely by wealthy non-local students and professionals. That destroys the city's heritage.

Surely there is a compromise to be made.

5 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Can you imagine having to leave SJP, with all its heritage and massive historical and current significance to the people, just to preserve the heritage of some buildings that few locals care about and no one outside knows about or visits. Buildings which seem to be inhabited almost entirely by wealthy non-local students and professionals. That destroys the city's heritage.

Surely there is a compromise to be made.

I don't really see a "compromise"

Either the buildings (and the East Stand) stay as they are or you fundamentally change the buildings to change the stand.

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't really see a "compromise"

Either the buildings (and the East Stand) stay as they are or you fundamentally change the buildings to change the stand.

If you're preserving heritage, there's only one winner.

St James’ Terrace wouldn’t be missed in the slightest imo. Having said that, it wouldn’t solve the problem of Leazes Terrace, which at the corner of the East Stand and Leazes End gets pretty damned close to the stadium.

These mock ups fail to show a new East Stand as you approach it, I have no idea whatsoever how you’d rebuild the East Stand and add 10k seats without it looking like a complete carbuncle. 

Then again, I’m no architect or engineer, just doesn’t seem to be enough space to do much.

1 hour ago, El Prontonise said:

The Bernabeu renovation looks absolutely awful from the outside as well.

It does, anyone wanting the same for SJP want's their bumps checked. Our stadium, the sheer scale and city centre location is unique in European - no World - football, it needs protecting, expanding and improving, but never demolished and relocated. Ever.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I was thinking more of the new infrastructure that they have fitted to it. It would be easy to fit a completely different facade to SJP but have it structurally similar to the Bernabeu. 

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

I have put two sections of your post (Wandy) in bold.

First section - just simply not true ("vast majority" !!!!) just not true at all.

Second section - not relevant to the point under discussion.

Disagree I'm afraid, I think it is true.

The 2nd point is very relevant too. It could quite easily come to a point where the owners come to the fanbase and say "we want to build a super-stadium, with amazing views, hospitality, facilities & accoustics but simply cannot do it on this site.. However just up the road..............."

At that point, the support will have a choice to make. And if they turn it down, it's not inconceivable that this could be the point at which the Saudis plot their exit.

46 minutes ago, bhoywhonder said:

It does, anyone wanting the same for SJP want's their bumps checked. Our stadium, the sheer scale and city centre location is unique in European - no World - football, it needs protecting, expanding and improving, but never demolished and relocated. Ever.

Why is moving to Leazes Park a "relocation"? It's literally shifting a stadium a couple of hundred yards north. Nothing, absolutely nothing, about the matchday experience would change.