St James' Park

Delima

4 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

I kind of agree, except announcing a plan to leave SJP without a location and renderings will go down like a lead balloon.

You're right.  Nothing stopping them having concept design drawings, specs and a detailed scope of works without planning permission - if they come out and say 'we're moving' with nothing else behind it then it isn't a good look on any level.  I'd expect a client to have a budget, reasonable site information, a program etc before the need to seek permissions for a project of this size and scale.  You don't buy the land and then determine what to do.

Couple of observations from my day out in and around Newcastle on Sunday...

Drove down past Leazes park/castle leazes towards the car park opposite the trent house. Leazes park looks shit quite simply, grass all overgrown, nothing and nobody in sight.

Went to stack for some lunch, full with barely a space to be had with groups of lads, lasses, families and families with pets like ourself, new kits everywhere on the young and old and club shop also full when i popped my head in so we must be making money hand over fist there

On to Exhibition Park and the difference to the leazes above is astonishing, lovely outdoor space, play area and cafe nice, some lovely areas to sit, walked round the lake and had a pint at Wylam Brewery after the wife had stupidly let the dog off the lead and it went headlong into the bastard thing after a duck. Wedding on later in the day it seemed and the place was full of students and families having a nice day out.

Skate park full of young'uns doing some amazing things on scooters, skateboards and BMX bikes as well who were very patient with my two little ones having a pedal round on the bikes we had brought.

To sum up, New stadium on leazes park/castle leazes is the best thing for it, Keep exhibition park as the lovely green space it is and if any cunt moans send them there for the day out

51 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

On to Exhibition Park and the difference to the leazes above is astonishing, lovely outdoor space, play area and cafe nice, some lovely areas to sit, walked round the lake.....

There really is no 'astonishing' difference at all. Leazes Park has a play area, a nice cafe, a lake, and areas to sit in a lovely outdoor space - just like Exhibition Park!

Admittedly there are some antisocial characters that hang around the Barrack Road end on occasion, but sadly that's become normal in all but the most well to do areas.

It is a well-used and hugely important green lung for the city. I live nearby and enjoy regular visits to the park - as do hundreds/thousands of other folk including dog walkers, book readers, joggers, hospital patients, basketballers, tennis players, pingpongers, diners, picnickers, strollers, fishermen, etc. 

4 minutes ago, TomYam said:

There really is no 'astonishing' difference at all. Leazes Park has a play area, a nice cafe, a lake, and areas to sit in a lovely outdoor space - just like Exhibition Park!

Admittedly there are some antisocial characters that hang around the Barrack Road end on occasion, but sadly that's become normal in all but the most well to do areas.

It is a well-used and hugely important green lung for the city. I live nearby and enjoy regular visits to the park - as do hundreds/thousands of other folk including dog walkers, book readers, joggers, hospital patients, basketballers, tennis players, pingpongers, diners, picnickers, strollers, fishermen, etc. 

How do you feel about a new stadium being built on it if the whole park was upgraded and current site used ?

32 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

How do you feel about a new stadium being built on it if the whole park was upgraded and current site used ?

I've added my two cents worth on this subject a few times over the years, Whitley, and I think our views chime to great degree.

I've always approached the subject of stadium expansion/relocation/immutability in the light of what I believe to be best for both the football club as a whole and the city fabric itself. 

If there are 3 options:

1. stay as is and make some improvements including a possible new Gallowgate stand

2. rebuild on current site with temporary relocation somewhere/anywhere

3. new stadium on Castle Leazes (with relatively minor infringement into Leazes Park)

.....then I'd wholeheartedly support the third option. 

The ideal scenario for club and city is for a sumptuous new stadium with a capacity of about 72,000. The St James's Park footprint should then be incorporated into an extended and renovated Leazes Park. The club could then maintain the park as an asset. The area behind St James's Street and facing Steawberry Place - where the Gallowgate stand sits - could be developed for residential in the style of Leazes Terrace, while tall builds should be constructed on the land in front of the metro station where Stack now sits.

In my opinion, such a development would be a great leap forward for the football club and a monumental improvement for the city. 

We all have a strong emotional attachment to St.James's Park, and many have fear of the unknown, but that shouldn't hold us back, ossify us. We have a great and probably singular opportunity to turbo boost the club forward AND a vastly improved city asset.

Again the debate around building behind the existing stadium smack on top of Leazes Park is a non starter. Building on Castle Leazes, with maybe some  encroachment onto the northern end of the park... then you might actually be talking.

I still think if done right it could be transformative for the club, the park and the city. It's the best option to get started ASAP, have no disruption/temporary home and also be able to host Euro 2028 no problem. My only issue is I think stadium design is likely to be hideous and soulless based on current design trends.

The options report is supposed to be imminent and they haven't settled on any of them yet - it will be subject to fan consultation/dialogue. However you'd think they have an idea what they're leaning towards. 

One thing I have always thought that Newcastle needs is an outdoor Amphitheatre. If Scarborough can have one, why not Newcastle? It would be ideal either in Exhibition Park, or where SJP currently stands.

Edited by Stifler

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Again the debate around building behind the existing stadium smack on top of Leazes Park is a non starter. Building on Castle Leazes, with maybe some  encroachment onto the northern end of the park... then you might actually be talking.

I still think if done right it could be transformative for the club, the park and the city. It's the best option to get started ASAP, have no disruption/temporary home and also be able to host Euro 2028 no problem. My only issue is I think stadium design is likely to be hideous and soulless based on current design trends.

The options report is supposed to be imminent and they haven't settled on any of them yet - it will be subject to fan consultation/dialogue. However you'd think they have an idea what they're leaning towards. 

Quite.

Any options laid before fan groups, etc, need to be detailed re location, design, materials, capacity, benefits, infrastructure, otherwise it'll end up with a simplistic brexit-like debate with a wholly negative outcome. Do you want to move - yes/no? - would lead to an inevitably negative response without considering any details whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

One thing I have always thought that Newcastle needs is an outdoor Amphitheatre. If Scarborough can have one, why not Newcastle? It would be ideal either in Exhibition Park, or where SJP currently stands.

Interesting. Never considered that. I'd suggest the City Stadium site at the top of the Ouseburn off Warwick Street. It'd have to be shallow or mounded, though, as there's a culvert below it.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Can we watch mackems vs lions 🤔

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

My only issue is I think stadium design is likely to be hideous and soulless based on current design trends.

For me, this is one thing that I hope won't be an issue, partly due to who our owners are and who are running the club.

PIF would want to showcase to the world that they mean business and they are not building just another stadium. Although admiittedly they have many ambitious yet dubious projects going on in their country, we know the Saudis don't settle for something normal. Thus, if they are going to invest in a new stadium, it probably won't look like St.Mary's or the Stadium of Shite down the road.

On another positive note, you'd think Darren Eales coming from Atlanta United in the states and their impressive stadium (not sure, but was he part of the stadium planning too?), would know what is needed for our new one. I doubt we'd settle for something generic after seeing the revenue that Atlanta make.over ther and what Spurs are making from their multi-purpose stadium over here.

Lastly, money would 'probably' not be an issue to fund a mega, state of the art stadium  for our owners. They'll hopefully fund whatver it takes and costs to make the stadium the best above the rest so hopefully we do get something great.

These are just my opinion and I maybe wrong in my observations but 'We still have wild dreams'.

Edited by nufcjb