St James' Park

Delima

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Left behind in what sense? Elland Road is old and shite as it currently is, bolting on an extra few thousand seats isn't going to do much. I'd take a reduced capacity at SJP for an overall better matchday experience.

The trouble is though, I don’t think it will just be an increase in cavity that they will be doing. They will no doubt be fixing all areas of Elland Road, and bringing it up to standard. Their owners are NFL owners who have recently built a new stadium, and know the value of what that brings.

4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

It’s not but SJP is fast falling apart and behind in every metric of a modern stadium

I wouldn't say it's falling apart, but it's quite outdated compared with other PL teams grounds. We need to do something for ourselves, not because Leeds are expanding Elland Road.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why is the capacity the only thing that matters?

It isn't but look at other Countries and the biggest, well supported clubs tend to have the biggest capacities to satisfy the demands of their fanbase.

England; Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool 

Germany; Dortmund, Bayern

Spain; Barcelona, the Madrid clubs 

Italy; Milan clubs, Roma

Scotland; Celtic, Rangers 

Holland; Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV

Portugal; Benfica, Porto, Sporting

Historically we are the 5th best supported team in the Country and will soon have the 9th biggest stadium. Plus I'm pissed off that I'm as good as locked out of it these days!!

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The trouble is though, I don’t think it will just be an increase in cavity that they will be doing. They will no doubt be fixing all areas of Elland Road, and bringing it up to standard. Their owners are NFL owners who have recently built a new stadium, and know the value of what that brings.

But we're going to do none of that because...

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I wouldn't say it's falling apart, but it's quite outdated compared with other PL teams grounds. We need to do something for ourselves, not because Leeds are expanding Elland Road.

more of a show of direction/ambition whatever the decision -- a brand new stadium adjacent at X capacity and facilitiies will be a show of ambition -- a massive redevelopment and expansion of a stand and modernization of the full place would be another show. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I was being dramatic a little but a walk around the place on a match day and it is a bit grim and outdated. 

Agree we need to something for ourselves but this study was launched nearly a year ago, why are other clubs moving at a much faster pace compared to ourselves?

Bournemouth had a new owner come in after our lot and they’re well on the way to getting a brand new training ground up and running. We are so slow it’s painful at times

Just now, Jack27 said:

I was being dramatic a little but a walk around the place on a match day and it is a bit grim and outdated. 

Agree we need to something for ourselves but this study was launched nearly a year ago, why are other clubs moving at a much faster pace compared to ourselves?

Bournemouth had a new owner come in after our lot and they’re well on the way to getting a brand new training ground up and running. We are so slow it’s painful at times

the complicated nature of developing in in-fill urban city centre with listed buildings and a protected green space are obviously the largest issues and most difficult to surpass. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

the complicated nature of developing in in-fill urban city centre with listed buildings and a protected green space are obviously the largest issues and most difficult to surpass. 

Of course, I understand all this

Coming up to three years since the takeover though, I think we all expected something by now no? 

5 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

No idea, but probably very different circumstances. Bournemouth's owners don't have to put up with Newcastle City Council for example [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Of course, I understand all this

Coming up to three years since the takeover though, I think we all expected something by now no? 

Not really. What you actually expecting?

4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Plans on how they actually do become number one in every area and not just the words

They won’t reveal that. The league will just bring more rules in against us. Their original plans have probably already been torn up twice.

43 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Whoever was the owner is besides the point though. We used to have the 2nd largest stadium and we'll start next season with the 9th largest. We have been overtaken and left behind. 

Those are the correct and indisputable facts, but the reason we got left behind in stadium size and modernisation is because of Ashley’s cretinous ownership

The two things are impossible to separate 

Edited by bobbydazzla

14 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Those are the correct and indisputable facts, but the reason we got left behind in stadium size and modernisation is because of Ashley’s ownership

The two things are impossible to separate 

Forget Ashley. I'm just saying that we've been left behind over the last 10/15 years on the stadium front. We all know the reasons why. I'm just saying that it's an indisputable fact that it's happened.

3 years after Ashley leaving I was sort of hoping we'd have some news on how we're going to catch back up again. Chelsea's owners have been there less time than ours have and they're in talks about a move to Earls Court if it proves too difficult to redevelop Stamford Bridge and 49ers Enterprises have only had full control of Leeds since last year and plans are now in place to go to 53k.

Tbh my frustration is mainly down to the fact that I can't get in to watch them anymore as the ground is far too small but I'd love a bit of hope to come out the club soon, even if it's just a hint into some of the options that they're exploring so that more of us can get in to watch the team.

Edited by Wallsendmag

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why is the capacity the only thing that matters?

Income to compete and allowing younger generation a chance to become regular attendees.

Its not just capacity though the place is dated and requires huge investment to bring it up to date.

Think it’s mad to say we are being left behind because Leeds are extending to 53k. If that is their ceiling for the next 20/30 years, and same with Everton, is it varnigh where we are now. 

10k more at SJP and we are well ahead. Modernise it as well. Everton leaving their spiritual home for a blue seated legoland is something I don’t want for us. 

7 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Think it’s mad to say we are being left behind because Leeds are extending to 53k. If that is their ceiling for the next 20/30 years, and same with Everton, is it varnigh where we are now. 

10k more at SJP and we are well ahead. Modernise it as well. Everton leaving their spiritual home for a blue seated legoland is something I don’t want for us. 

It might be a bit nippy down by the river in winter, but if I was an Everton fan I’d be counting the days until we left that shithole.

Edited by Whitley mag

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It might be a bit nippy down by the river in winter, but if I was an Everton fan I’d be counting the days until we left that shithole.

It’s been their home since they vacated Anfield in the 1800’s, and whilst it’s a shithole, it’s their shithole. I don’t see how going to some sterile bowl could be exciting. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

It’s been their home since they vacated Anfield in the 1800’s, and whilst it’s a shithole, it’s their shithole. I don’t see how going to some sterile bowl could be exciting. 

And we won our first ever FA cup there, beating the crystal palace stadium curse