St James' Park

Delima

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, if permission is granted there’s nowt wrong with it as a solution.  I don’t think permission would be though, as that part of Leazes Park is listed too …

buzz GIF

ffs :lol:

I still think somewhere like the current arena site would be more likely, particularly for planning approvals etc.  Redevelopment of a run down area while maintaining the city centre element (as well as better access to the better watering holes - imagine walking along from the Quayside to the match?) would be the ideal.  It is closer to Central station too - and I’m aware that it’s further from Monument, but it’s often forgotten that the majority of people from Newcastle live to the west of the Monument station - most can’t actually get a Metro.

Just now, Dokko said:

buzz GIF

ffs :lol:

:) yeah, I know.  You’ll find I’m far less arsed re that part of Leazes Park, particularly if the demolished SJP was turned into landscaped parkland to replace what was lost.  But it would still have a fun time getting through planning. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I still think somewhere like the current arena site would be more likely, particularly for planning approvals etc.  Redevelopment of a run down area while maintaining the city centre element (as well as better access to the better watering holes - imagine walking along from the Quayside to the match?) would be the ideal.  It is closer to Central station too - and I’m aware that it’s further from Monument, but it’s often forgotten that the majority of people from Newcastle live to the west of the Monument station - most can’t actually get a Metro.

I'd also throw in the Newcastle College site and move the college up to the Helix area.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I'd also throw in the Newcastle College site and move the college up to the Helix area.

Yep, that entirely part of the town could do with serious renovation.  And imagine the footfall Sven’s would get on the way to the ground - a traditional local business :) 

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

This is the prime location for a Leazes move, and the new stadium would squeeze nicely in. The obstacle of course is swallowing up some of the park. Remedy that by making the current SJP land into new parkland, but maybe try to give it an "aged" look, to give the impression it's been there for decades.

GAl6SUbXUAEBMqN.thumb.jpg.f12cd5ed972c5601c5d439d2bcbc275c.jpg

I would think any new stadium would be about 50% bigger than that. They want you in early, so the concourses will be massive. Food outlets and bars and a lot more bogs.

Edited by TwoForJoy

7 minutes ago, TwoForJoy said:

I would think any new stadium would be about 50% bigger than that. They want you in early, so the concourses will be massive. Food outlets and bars and a lot more bogs.

I suspect you’re right - it’s unlikely to just be stands the size of the current one made into a bowl

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Could we not go in stages, build 3 sides as close to SJP as possible, then build the final side when its ready. 

sjp2.png

you, sir, are a genius.

Edited by huss9

Had a looka t other PL clubs to see what % of capacity their stadiums are, might give us an indication of what the magic number could be for a upgraded SJP/new stadium. Board will want to increase corporate but also keep the stadium at near capacity most weeks to generate revenue from match day tickets, sales, pies, merch etc.

Man Utd (Capacity 74,879) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 73,517 (98% of capacity)

Tottenham (Capacity 62,062) Based on 6 home games - Average Attendance is 61,718 (99% of capacity)

Arsenal (Capacity 60,704) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 60,147 (99% of capacity)

Man City (Capacity 55,017) Based on 7 home games - Average Attendance is 53,331 (97% of capacity)

Newcastle (Capacity 52,257) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 52,135 (100% of capacity)

Liverpool (Capacity 51,000) Based on 7 home games - Average Attendance is 50,083 (98% of capacity)

Chelsea (Capacity 40,853) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 39,748 (97% of capacity)

4 minutes ago, NUFC said:

Had a looka t other PL clubs to see what % of capacity their stadiums are, might give us an indication of what the magic number could be for a upgraded SJP/new stadium. Board will want to increase corporate but also keep the stadium at near capacity most weeks to generate revenue from match day tickets, sales, pies, merch etc.

Man Utd (Capacity 74,879) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 73,517 (98% of capacity)

Tottenham (Capacity 62,062) Based on 6 home games - Average Attendance is 61,718 (99% of capacity)

Arsenal (Capacity 60,704) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 60,147 (99% of capacity)

Man City (Capacity 55,017) Based on 7 home games - Average Attendance is 53,331 (97% of capacity)

Newcastle (Capacity 52,257) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 52,135 (100% of capacity)

Liverpool (Capacity 51,000) Based on 7 home games - Average Attendance is 50,083 (98% of capacity)

Chelsea (Capacity 40,853) Based on 8 home games - Average Attendance is 39,748 (97% of capacity)

I'm almost 100% certain that every one of those teams have sold out every fixture they've played this season. The only way they won't all show 100% is because some of the capacities are a bit out. Man Utd can't get over 74k in any more for example.

17 minutes ago, NUFC said:

The Saudi’s being the Saudi’s, if we were to go for a new stadium, I reckon they’d try build the biggest.

5 hours ago, Dokko said:

Could we not go in stages, build 3 sides as close to SJP as possible, then build the final side when its ready. 

sjp2.png

Nice graphic, but why not just move the stadium 100 metres north north west? Castles Leazes is flat grassland and the new build would barely encroach onto Leazes Park. That way you can preserve (and enhance, once the old stadium site is cleared) Leazes Park and build on an unloved and vacant (save for a few cows) corner of land. 

1 hour ago, Decky said:

What are the chances of us actually being allowed to build on Leazes Park? 

Zero, and rightly so (unless only a tiny incursion).

The western section of Castle Leazes would be fully consented by all parties - so long as the northern half of the footprint of St.James's Park is given over to an extended Leazes Park (to mitigate the liss of green space at Castle Leazes).

It would almost certainly be Castle Leazes and not Leazes Park, even then the residents and environmentalists would still object even with an improved and extended park.

However, like last time if Hall hadn’t given up, I think we’d get the permission eventually.

Hypothetical situation. 

"The year is 2035, the month is July and Newcastle United have just won the Champions League for the first time, beating Liverpool in the final.

They've amassed 6 major trophies (including UCL) since the takeover.

League Cup - 2024, 2030

FA Cup - 2028, 2034

Premier League - 2034

UCL - 2035

The Club have played their last game ever at St James's Park. The 2035/36 season will be the first to be played at the brand new 80,000 seater Aramco Arena. St James's Park is due to be start being demolished later that year with the Rubens new St James's Hotel taking its place eventually.

Manager Eddie Howe has just signed a contract extension until 2042"

Would success make up for losing St James's? 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Hypothetical situation. 

"The year is 2035, the month is July and Newcastle United have just won the Champions League for the first time, beating Liverpool in the final.

League Cup - 2024, 2030

FA Cup - 2028, 2034

Premier League - 2034

UCL - 2035

The Club have played their last game ever at St James's Park. The 2035/36 season will be the first to be played at the brand new 80,000 seater Aramco Arena. St James's Park is due to be start being demolished later that year with the Rubens new St James's Hotel taking its place eventually.

Depends where the Aramco Arena is ?

Also I'd expect it to be a lot earlier than that.

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

It would almost certainly be Castle Leazes and not Leazes Park, even then the residents and environmentalists would still object even with an improved and extended park.

However, like last time if Hall hadn’t given up, I think we’d get the permission eventually.

People objecting isn't enough to refuse a planning application. If it worked in planning terms it would be approved. 

Biodiversity net gain is big on the planning agenda atm - whereby you have to have more biodiversity post-development than what exists to begin with... I know there are trees on Castle Leazes but you'd think there'd definitely be opportunities where that is concerned, especially with the land vacated by SJP.

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Hypothetical situation. 

League Cup - 2024, 2030

FA Cup - 2028, 2034

Premier League - 2034

UCL - 2035

Yes - and I’m sure the tens of thousands who wouldn’t have be able to watch successes until a new ground with an increased capacity is built will agree 

2 hours ago, Cort said:

Given what the Reuben family are doig around the city, and potential Saudi investment outside the football club as well, doubt the Council will oppose the club if we wanted a land swap. 

Leazes Park wouldn’t be up to the council - Castle Leazes would