St James' Park

Delima

I'm no fan of the look of the external exoskeleton as it makes every modern/redeveloped stadium look the same, rather than different and iconic.

However the ability to be able to host all events, all year round, will have the stadium paying for itself in no time at all. It's an absolute game changer for clubs who pursue it - particularly in city centre locations.

Edited by ponsaelius

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm no fan of the look of the external exoskeleton as it makes every modern/redeveloped stadium look the same, rather than different and iconic.

However the ability to be able to host all events, all year round, will have the stadium paying for itself in no time at all. It's an absolute game changer for clubs who pursue it - particularly in city centre locations.

Agreed, I've seen it from the outside a few months ago and it's not good compared to the original stadium.

It’s fucking Sun waffle man. It’s why I have them banned from showing up in my Apple News feed. The article is written for someone who has no idea how planning laws, and listed buildings work. What they have said in that article to be a possibility is wholly an impossibility, in fact they even go on to say/allude to why what they say could happen, can’t.

Watched a couple of videos of inside the new Anfield road end at Anfield, whilst it’s not finished you can already see the concourse isn’t a patch on the Spurs stadium. Looks very dated and certainly no wow factor.

After seeing that it’s made my mind up a new stadium is 100% the way to go at Castle Leazes, or the arena site.

Edited by Whitley mag

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Watched a couple of videos of inside the new Anfield road end at Anfield, whilst it’s not finished you can already see the concourse isn’t a patch on the Spurs stadium. Looks very dated and certainly no wow factor.

After seeing that it’s made my mind up a new stadium is 100% the way to go at Castle Leazes, or the arena site.

I know it’s a contentious issue and people want to stay at SJP because of location and history, but let’s face it as far as history and memories go there aren’t many who go to matches now that were around the last time we won owt, 1969.

Most of the time it’s been mid table mediocrity and relegation, spiced up a bit by the Keegan years. Given the difficulties of major redevelopment of SJP a new stadium on Castle Leazes would be my option.

14 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I know it’s a contentious issue and people want to stay at SJP because of location and history, but let’s face it as far as history and memories go there aren’t many who go to matches now that were around the last time we won owt, 1969.

I beg your pardon!!!

Even in just my own circle of friends there are a lot of us who enjoyed our European Fairs Cup Win in 1969 . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/fairs-cup-newcastle-united-the-1969-fairs-cup-win-and-the-50th-anniversary-in-2019-etc.2177948/post-159296132

1969 - European Fairs Cup Winners.jpg

3 minutes ago, manorpark said:

I beg your pardon!!!

Even in just my own circle of friends there are a lot of us who enjoyed our European Fairs Cup Win in 1969 . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/fairs-cup-newcastle-united-the-1969-fairs-cup-win-and-the-50th-anniversary-in-2019-etc.2177948/post-159296132

1969 - European Fairs Cup Winners.jpg

Me to I was 18 at the time and fuck all since.

16 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Most of the time it’s been mid table mediocrity and relegation, spiced up a bit by the Keegan years. Given the difficulties of major redevelopment of SJP a new stadium on Castle Leazes would be my option.

I find this a bit of a short sighted take. For decades we have had nothing but the history and memories of great games at St James’ to keep us going. 

One day in our future PIF won’t be around and what’s left could be nothing but a half filled, soulless flat pack stadium without 120 years of history to fall back

on.  

Just as well we’re staying put. 

Just now, RS said:

I find this a bit of a short sighted take. For decades we have had nothing but the history and memories of great games at St James’ to keep us going. 

One day in our future PIF won’t be around and what’s left could be nothing but a half filled, soulless flat pack stadium without 120 years of history to fall back

on.  

Just as well we’re staying put. 

I doubt they’ll build a ‘flatpack’ stadium and what is history……it’s about the now and the future, memories are great but that’s all they are, memories.

I think PIF would build anything but a flatpack, it would likely be something up with the very best.

There’s no way the East Stand is getting renovated into anything befitting a top tier stadium unless they can do something with the terrace, which looks highly unlikely to me.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

I’m going to join the unpopular crowd and agree.  SJP has seen nothing but failure (albeit sometimes glorious failure) for decades.  I don’t get misty-eyed about it at all.

There’s practically zero chance of SJP redevelopment getting us to where the club say they want to get to.  If John Hall had stuck to his original plan- which pretty much no-one had any issue with other than Friends of Leazes Park - we wouldn’t even be having this conversation 

The way some go on it's as if everything to do with the club is sacred. Let's not even redevelop the ground in case it loses what makes it great in that case then? 

New stadiums don't automatically lose the soul of a football club, but there are some considerations that need to be adhered to, such as: location, capacity and I'm sure more that I haven't thought of.

For us that means keeping the city centre location - I think this is what has affected atmosphere with lots of new stadiums where they have been moved from city centres to the outskirts. Ideally redeveloped on the same site, if not, nearby. This would be a must for me.

And capacity - as someone mentioned if, in future, the ground is too big, that's a bigger issue than it being too small, as it just feels dead. Not for me to pick a number so I'll leave that to others. 

14 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think PIF would build anything but a flatpack, it would likely be something up with the very best.

There’s no way the East Stand is getting renovated into anything befitting a top tier stadium unless they can do something with the terrace, which looks highly unlikely to me.

No-one is going to granted permission to knock down Leazes Terrace, whatever histrionics are printed in shitrags like the S*n.  I can remember Blackburn struggling to get compulsory purchase orders to buy the last couple of terrace houses for their renovation a few decades ago - and they were buying old Victorian red brick terraces, not Georgian sandstone town houses

I've changed on this over the years. 20 years ago I was solidly stay at SJP. But... Maybe I'm being influenced by the changed makeup of the crowd and atmosphere. It seems like there are a lot of integral problems now that can only realistically be fixed by a blank slate. I'm not an expert but it seems like new stadium design has come on a long way having learnt from earlier mistakes, too.

It potentially will allow ten or twenty thousand extra people (beyond SJP redevelopment) see games, and could be an engine for the wider local economy if done right. Whether I'm being economically unrealistic or not in asking this from PIF, I'd want it made to extremely high standards though i.e. not just a metal and plastic spaceship designed for the latest passing trend.