St James' Park

Delima

20 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-real-madrid-stadium-architect-28577829?ds=

You need the patience of a saint to get through the website but this was a semi interesting read

They could print this coming Saturday’s winning Lotto numbers on that website and I’d refuse to read it. Cant believe they haven’t addressed the huge issues with it, that have been the case for years. 

28 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-real-madrid-stadium-architect-28577829?ds=

You need the patience of a saint to get through the website but this was a semi interesting read

" The lack of space around the Bernabeu means Madrid have been forced to build upwards over the years. The steep stadium, as a result, is one of the highest in Europe, which has created that Colosseum effect Bellingham spoke about "

IMG_4340.thumb.jpeg.a050bbd617996380f70705fac373aea0.jpeg

On 26/01/2024 at 11:28, Whitley mag said:

Hopefully you’re right but I could see a fair few being up in arms, these environmentalists rarely see the upside of things like this, expect a fierce battle if it went this route.

A useable park in the heart of the city with a lake etc, would be a real asset to the city though and I really think club should be thinking along these lines.

SJP is not fit for purpose in terms of facilities and overall experience, I actually find the place grim these days, the view and atmosphere in large swathes of the stadium are a pretty soulless experience.

I am sure we could incorporate it into the build if it led up to the new stadium

Fanzones

Family Zones for picnics etc

Memory garden/walk for those fans and players no longer with us

Sensory spaces for kids etc

Football themed playground etc etc etc

it would be used all year round

The facade might not be to everyone's taste (personally I think it looks amazing) but the inside of the Bernabeu is hands down the best layout for seats in a football stadium IMO. It's got the perfect mix of great views for everyone & steep stands/proper roof that create an enclosed, imposing & intimidating environment. I'd love it if we built a near replica of that layout. We can debate how it should look on the outside after that.

Edited by Wandy

4 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Even a cursory look at where the Bernabeu is situated would have told the Ronnie Gill hack that the sites aren’t even remotely comparable.  The space there isn’t limited at all - it’s surrounded on all sides by a fucking massive car park.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Even a cursory look at where the Bernabeu is situated would have told the Ronnie Gill hack that the sites aren’t even remotely comparable.  The space there isn’t limited at all - it’s surrounded on all sides by a fucking massive car park.

It isn't like, it is surrounded closely by Madrid streets and buildings on all sides. Not as tight as we have it but certainly not a blank canvas.

Edited by ponsaelius

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It's not as limited as SJP but they didn't have much space to work with.  On 1 side it's pretty close to a block of apartments.

I was amazed to read the other day that NFL clubs play 9 (nine) home games a season and still generate enough cash to operate, I wonder if their stadiums are used for other events all year around ?

39 minutes ago, Ben said:

I was amazed to read the other day that NFL clubs play 9 (nine) home games a season and still generate enough cash to operate, I wonder if their stadiums are used for other events all year around ?

They could play in empty stadiums and still be profitable due to TV money.   But yes most of the stadiums make a lot of money hosting other events.

Lambeau field holds 81k, second largest in the NFL I think.  Packers ticket prices for the last season:

South end zone, 700 Level – $64 for preseason, $128 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $63 and $125).

End zone seats – $65 for preseason and $129 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $62 and $123, respectively).

South end zone, 600 Level – $70 for preseason, $139 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $67 and $134).

End zone to the 20‐yard line – $74 for preseason and $148 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $71 and $141).

Between the 20-yard lines – $83 for preseason and $165 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $78 and $156).

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-set-ticket-prices-for-2023-season 

Edited by bobloblaw

An example: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-title-game-to-remain-in-atlanta-through-2026-in-new-falcons-stadium/

Per the AJC, the SEC will pay the Falcons a fee of $450,000 for use of the stadium in 2017 (an increase over the approximately $373,000 currently paid to the Georgia World Congress Center Authority), with those fees expected to increase over the life of the contract. The SEC will reportedly have the option of extending the deal for two five-year periods following its expiration in 2026.

56 minutes ago, Ben said:

It’s why a lot of stadiums are indoors (retractable roof or not). Greatly increases the number of events you can hold throughout the year from concerts to monster trucks and college sports championships.

37 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

They could play in empty stadiums and still be profitable due to TV money.   But yes most of the stadiums make a lot of money hosting other events.

Lambeau field holds 81k, second largest in the NFL I think.  Packers ticket prices for the last season:

South end zone, 700 Level – $64 for preseason, $128 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $63 and $125).

End zone seats – $65 for preseason and $129 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $62 and $123, respectively).

South end zone, 600 Level – $70 for preseason, $139 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $67 and $134).

End zone to the 20‐yard line – $74 for preseason and $148 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $71 and $141).

Between the 20-yard lines – $83 for preseason and $165 for regular season (in 2022, prices were $78 and $156).

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-set-ticket-prices-for-2023-season 

Goddamn that’s cheap. I think you’d find a lot of teams are 4-5x that for between the 20s. Not to mention the PSLs.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

A good overview:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/062515/how-nfl-makes-money.asp 

According to this each NFL team made 170M more than NUFC in TV money last year (NFL broadcasting rights which are shared equally vs the Premier League TV payments).

Edited by bobloblaw

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Goddamn that’s cheap. I think you’d find a lot of teams are 4-5x that for between the 20s. Not to mention the PSLs.

It's pretty hard to get those tickets, the last game at Lambeau I went to (regular season against the Panthers 10ish years ago) I paid $500 for two corner endzone seats on stubhub.

14 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Apparently that's the per game average for season tickets, not singles, which I misread.  It did seem cheap.  You also have to pay a one time fee of like $2k when you qualify for season tickets.  I put my two sons on the list when they were born, but its around 140,000 people long.  They usually move up a few hundred spots each year.

Edited by bobloblaw

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

It isn't like, it is surrounded closely by Madrid streets and buildings on all sides. Not as tight as we have it but certainly not a blank canvas.

Any contractor who bleated to me about access issues on that site would receive at least a raised eyebrow.  It has nothing like the issues any SJP redevelopment would have.

Quick aside - this is the same young hack who does the podcast with John Gibson.  They talked about moving Newcastle’s home ground a while back.  Gibson - a man who has been following NUFC since the ‘50s and has encyclopaedic knowledge of the club - viewed a move as ultimately a positive.  The young’un got misty-eyed about the brutalist stadium currently on site, saying we couldn’t leave.  Completely anecdotal, but I have found that generally the younger fans are more attached to SJP

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Think youre getting mixed up with Athletico Madrid.

9 hours ago, Ben said:

Yes. And also everyone buys beers/food while out for the day (last Broncos game I bought six beers at about $13/piece). I’d love to see the comparison between SJP single match day revenue compared to say a Broncos single game day revenue. 

And then on top of that, yes, the venues host many other events throughout the year. 

Our arenas do 41 home hockey games and 41 home basketball games (bare minimum) as season though so that’s $$$. 

Edited by cubaricho

14 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Yes. And also everyone buys beers/food while out for the day (last Broncos game I bought six beers at about $13/piece). I’d love to see the comparison between SJP single match day revenue compared to say a Broncos single game day revenue. 

And then on top of that, yes, the venues host many other events throughout the year. 

Our arenas do 41 home hockey games and 41 home basketball games (bare minimum) as season though so that’s $$$. 

Yeah, in the NFL a game can last 3 hours or more. Plenty of people not getting just 1 or 2 drinks and 1 hotdog, but much more drink and possible 2 rounds of snacks.

I do wonder if clubs will push to have a longer half time break of say 30 minutes, so people have more time in the stadium and they can shift more drinks and snacks.

49 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Think youre getting mixed up with Athletico Madrid.

No, I do mean the Bernabeu.  There’s little room left with a finished stadium, but that’s the result of building pretty much the biggest stadium in world football on the site, using every inch of ground that you can.  Sequencing the works on that site would hardly have been too challenging.  SJP has buildings behind the East Stand that you can practically touch from its roof, it’s on a slope, and there is literally nowhere for heavy plant to easily operate.  The Gallowgate is just a complete bastard of a place to try and develop - yes, the Bernabeu also has a nearby underground station, but it’s not literally where the stadium foundations would need to be driven. 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, I do mean the Bernabeu.  There’s little room left with a finished stadium, but that’s the result of building pretty much the biggest stadium in world football on the site, using every inch of ground that you can.  Sequencing the works on that site would hardly have been too challenging.  SJP has buildings behind the East Stand that you can practically touch from its roof, it’s on a slope, and there is literally nowhere for heavy plant to easily operate.  The Gallowgate is just a complete bastard of a place to try and develop - yes, the Bernabeu also has a nearby underground station, but it’s not literally where the stadium foundations would need to be driven. 

I meant in being surrounded by a car park.

Ticket prices in American Sports seem to differ dramatically depending on where you sit.

A couple of years ago we went to watch Miami Heat (basketball) and a court side seat was well over $1000 whereas we paid €25 to sit up in the gods. Was much the same story when we watched Orlando Magic last year so I assume that's how it is across the board.

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, in the NFL a game can last 3 hours or more. Plenty of people not getting just 1 or 2 drinks and 1 hotdog, but much more drink and possible 2 rounds of snacks.

I do wonder if clubs will push to have a longer half time break of say 30 minutes, so people have more time in the stadium and they can shift more drinks and snacks.

Interesting point, I hate trying to change traditions but I'm surprised it hasn't been a topic of conversation so far as 15 mins is obviously not enough time to get a pint and something to eat.

Imagine an extra 15 mins though at halftime plus the regular 10 mins injury time. 

I remember the yanks at WC 1994 wanted to change the format but I think that was more advertising driven.