St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No doubt moving at all has some negatives, but if we move the arena site seems the only good option.

Really the key thing is the amount of capacity that could be realistically added to SJP.

Yeah agree. One of the negatives to come from success. Was going to happen though!

I'd be up for the arena site if it was a goer. Repurpose current SJP into a business centre for the club/museum/reduced capacity academy & womens venue. Perhaps it could be an expansion for the foundation.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No doubt moving at all has some negatives, but if we move the arena site seems the only good option.

Really the key thing is the amount of capacity that could be realistically added to SJP.

The problem with extending capacity though is that it's essentially just a Level 7 extension. Adding 8k of the cheapest seats with the worst view in the stadium.

Looking at it from a purely business perspective I just can't see the point bearing in mind the cost and then the return.

As someone else mentioned that could also be the final nail in the coffin regarding atmosphere at SJP. The L7 expansion absolutely killed the Leazes End. I used to sit there from 1993-2006 and the change in atmosphere from 2000 onwards was tragic. Same could well happen to the Gallowgate.

If we got the arena site you would think that the disused railway bridge that links Central Station to the site would be used, as it has been proposed for various schemes on the arena site in the past.

SJP best located stadium in country, bar none. Can only think Eddie winning a game has meant re focus of whinging and pissmoaning on to stadium/atmosphere. 

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Don't think anyone doubts that. It's just too small now.

That’s why it’s being extended by 8-12k

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is it?

I know someone who discussed this with Al-Rumayyan last year and he let slip plans were to invest in St James’, so I’m happy to stick with that philosophy 

3 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

The Arena site is in the City Centre, SJP whether we like it or not just doesn’t do it for me. You attempt to build on the Leazes Park or the Leazes Moor and it won’t take to long before Friends of the Leazes Park and Castle Leazes spring up and object, just as they did in the 90’s.

A member of my family is a consultant town planner and has visited the Arena site in a work capacity, and I’m told it’s an ideal site for a new stadium and would regenerate the locality commercially to. Who knows what the eventual outcome will be, it’s all down to the club.

I admire your persistence but I think between this and the club suing the PL over FFP/FMV you're setting yourself up for a disappointing few years. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is the arena site already allocated for something else? Seems almost a no-brainer if that land was easily available. 

I don’t think the club are interested in it. The Ruben’s would have purchased it otherwise. The feasibility report must be concluding that expansion is better for the club.

5 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Build the new stand on top of the Gallowgate, as in leave the Gallowgate roof there. Then it shouldn't affect the atmosphere, the Gallowgate noise is still trapped.

A hover stand. 

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I admire your persistence but I think between this and the club suing the PL over FFP/FMV you're setting yourself up for a disappointing few years. 

The club or any other club wouldn’t’sue’ anybody in relation to FFP/FMV, they’d make an application to a Competition Appeal Tribunal that the rules are anti competitive. As for the Arena site it’ll be a few years whether it happens and the same trying to expand/extend SJP.  I’m not daft enough to think it’ll happen within a year.

8 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

The club or any other club wouldn’t’sue’ anybody in relation to FFP/FMV, they’d make an application to a Competition Appeal Tribunal that the rules are anti competitive. As for the Arena site it’ll be a few years whether it happens and the same trying to expand/extend SJP.  I’m not daft enough to think it’ll happen within a year.

"Sue" was my attempt at a short-handed version of what you said, but trust me your opinions on what we will/should do regarding FFP/FMV are very clear.

Obviously yes, any development would take a number of years but if they do start the process of adding 8-10k seats to SJP that makes building a completely new stadium (at the Arena site or anywhere else) incredibly unlikely? 

Edited by Keegans Export

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

"Sue" was my attempt at a short-handed version of what you said, but trust me your opinions on what we will/should do regarding FFP/FMV are very clear.

Obviously yes, any development would take a number of years but if they do start the process of adding 8-10k seats to SJP that makes building a completely new stadium (at the Arena site or anywhere else) incredibly unlikely? 

Is 8-10k increase in capacity enough? Whether fans like it or not corporate facilities will be increased significantly even at SJP, the ordinary fan won’t benefit that much. Corporate is where the money is for the club and a new stadium allows for massive increases in revenues.

Any work at SJP will also take time to complete and reduce income whilst work is ongoing. I’m not a civil engineer but extending the Gallowgate stand, there is a Metro line virtually underneath, don’t know what the implications are in  such work. I guess we’ll see what the feasibility study says but a new stadium is by no means incredibly unlikely.

13 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Is 8-10k increase in capacity enough? Whether fans like it or not corporate facilities will be increased significantly even at SJP, the ordinary fan won’t benefit that much. Corporate is where the money is for the club and a new stadium allows for massive increases in revenues.

Any work at SJP will also take time to complete and reduce income whilst work is ongoing. I’m not a civil engineer but extending the Gallowgate stand, there is a Metro line virtually underneath, don’t know what the implications are in  such work. I guess we’ll see what the feasibility study says but a new stadium is by no means incredibly unlikely.

They’re not going to spend the fortune it would cost to redevelop SJP, and then go and build a new stadium any time in following 25 years (at a minimum!).

Edited by SteV

59 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is the arena site already allocated for something else? Seems almost a no-brainer if that land was easily available. 

It's allocated for mixed use development, specifically a mix of offices, leisure and residential. Therefore putting a new stadium there wouldn't have policy support at present I don't think. The Newcastle Local Plan is up for review so there could be scope for that to change, but I think there'd have to be some evidence that what it's currently allocated for isn't deliverable.

22 minutes ago, SteV said:

They’re not going to spend the fortune it would cost to redevelop SJP, and then go and build a new stadium any time in following 25 years (at a minimum!).

They might not redevelop SJP, just continue there until a new stadium is built if that’s what they decide.

17 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's allocated for mixed use development, specifically a mix of offices, leisure and residential. Therefore putting a new stadium there wouldn't have policy support at present I don't think. The Newcastle Local Plan is up for review so there could be scope for that to change, but I think there'd have to be some evidence that what it's currently allocated for isn't deliverable.

The Arena site has been ‘Master Planned’ and as you say earmarked for development but that can change, there’s no certainty yet.

4 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

They might not redevelop SJP, just continue there until a new stadium is built if that’s what they decide.

Yeah, they might, but @Keegans Export’s reference to a new

stadium being “incredibly unlikely” was in reference to them starting redevelopment (if that’s what is decided upon).