St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, Toon1892 said:

If you have zero interest in going why should your opinion matter on where the stadium should be? You don’t need to think about the logistics or anything. 

If the club wanted to progress they’d build an out of town stadium. There is nowhere else. Yes I want to stop that. What is there to argue about?

I'm not arguing about it just making an observation. Your posts screamed I'm alright Jack so commented. Also not going doesn't equate to not caring about the club, it's entirely possible to care about others and not just your own safe seat in a convenient place for you to get to

Ranulph Fiennes currently plotting how he can be the first human to take on the epic journey from The Beehive to the Sven Adult Books Arena, without the use of dog sleds or oxygen tanks 

Norris McSquirter will be waiting outside the new stadium to verify the record.

Billions around the world tune in on a Facebook Livestream to watch mankind achieve the unachievable

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

I'm not arguing about it just making an observation. Your posts screamed I'm alright Jack so commented. Also not going doesn't equate to not caring about the club, it's entirely possible to care about others and not just your own safe seat in a convenient place for you to get to

Did you read my post or were you just thinking of yourself?

I literally said I’m fine for the stadium to move as long as it stays in the centre. There is nowhere to build a stadium in the centre. I don’t want the stadium moving out the centre (would be fine for me as I travel an hour to get to the centre for a match day). just for the general atmosphere and for others interests. 

The worst posters are the ones that tangle what you’ve said to benefit their own argument. 

Weird how people that have no interest in going have the loudest voice on where the stadium should be.

My two penneth on the situation as a current ST holder, I'll take anything in or around the city centre if it means more people in, a better fan experience, and I can get out of the fucking barracks [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

Well the away concourse is tiny. That’s the only one I’ve seen.

That’s a confusing take, because it’s significantly bigger / more spacious than most other grounds in the league?

Just now, SteV said:

That’s a confusing take, because it’s significantly bigger / more spacious than most other grounds in the league?

The away concourse? Probably one of the smallest I’ve been to this season? Why is that a weird take? Have you been to it?

Always thought the away concourse was a decent size. Been in there a few times, back in the days when away fans were in the L7 corner and always found it decent for space, certainly compared to the likes of Stamford Bridge, Goodison, Anfield etc, and even better than some new build stadiums like Sunderland for example.

8 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Always thought the away concourse was a decent size. Been in there a few times, back in the days when away fans were in the L7 corner and always found it decent for space, certainly compared to the likes of Stamford Bridge, Goodison, Anfield etc, and even better than some new build stadiums like Sunderland for example.

Yeah SJP away concourse is a decent size. 

We were talking about Tottenhams away concourse and how small that one is.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No.  SJP is no more the ‘city centre’ than the arena is.  It’s far less of a pain in the arse to than SJP from most of the watering holes in the city

IMG_7594.thumb.jpeg.cf775c0d739415ec1bbb55959f977ad5.jpeg

Give over man. :lol:

On the St James park V Arena location discussion - before the Wolves game I was drinking in the Old George - google maps reckons Old George to St James Park 12 mins walk, Old George to Arena 17 minutes walk.

Depends where you class as being the centre of the city I guess, I would probably say Arena is less "city centre" than SJP, but there isn't really much in it for me.

Aye, we’re talking five minutes here. Sure, the Arena area feels a lot more isolated but if you build the stadium there then quality restaurants, bars etc and other businesses will be springing up in no time 

21 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

The away concourse? Probably one of the smallest I’ve been to this season? Why is that a weird take? Have you been to it?

Yes. Not sure if you were located in some part that I’ve never seen, but it’s without question bigger than majority of PL away concourses.

Absolute night and day compared to somewhere like Burnley.

2 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

On the St James park V Arena location discussion - before the Wolves game I was drinking in the Old George - google maps reckons Old George to St James Park 12 mins walk, Old George to Arena 17 minutes walk.

Depends where you class as being the centre of the city I guess, I would probably say Arena is less "city centre" than SJP, but there isn't really much in it for me.

For me, both of them are on the fringes of the city centre. If you go North past SJP, you are out of the city centre. If you went West past the arena, you are out of the city centre.

I have already said it before, if you are travelling by a mainline train or a Metro that goes via Central station, then it’s a good move. If you are travelling in by bus then it’s a bit more of a chew on, as the bus stations are a bit North, which you would need to consider for the late KO’s.

If we moved to the arena site, then the Metro station at Central will be heaving. At the moment the supporters are split up between SJP, Monument, Haymarket, Jesmond, and Central station Metro stations.

In terms of public transport, a Leazes Park stadium would probably be better for the majority of local fans, where as the arena would be better for away fans and homes fans coming from outside the area.

The city centre debate is muddled with people’s definition of a city centre, some people think the retail core is the city centre, which automatically discounts Central station. Others, an in my opinion the correct way of thinking it, see it as a whole city, not just the retail core.

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye, we’re talking five minutes here. Sure, the Arena area feels a lot more isolated but if you build the stadium there then quality restaurants, bars etc and other businesses will be springing up in no time 

Where? It's an industrial estate.

57 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Did you read my post or were you just thinking of yourself?

I literally said I’m fine for the stadium to move as long as it stays in the centre. There is nowhere to build a stadium in the centre. I don’t want the stadium moving out the centre

Yes i did, thank God you arent only thinking about yourself. Bizarre you think i am as someone who isnt going to be using it its literally the opposite of what you accuse me of :lol: My entire point was for the best of everyone and the club ffs not just those currently able to watch

In terms of accessibility it's a nightmare for any kind of through link with the city centre. There's something like a 30m difference in elevation between the Arena site and the city centre.

Edited by Kid Icarus

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In terms of accessibility it's a nightmare for any kind of through link with the city centre. There's something like a 30m difference in elevation between the Arena site and the city centre.

It's a short walk down from the "city centre"

The Arena been an established entertainment venue for 30 years with billions of millions of people going to events there

From what I understand it's not even a viable site for NUFC, as there are other plans for the site. But for people to say it's unsuitable as a location for a football stadium due to the logistics of the location is nuts 

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

The Arena been an established entertainment venue for 30 years with billions of millions of people going to events there

From what I understand it's not even a viable site for NUFC, as there are other plans for the site. But for people to say it's unsuitable as a location for a football stadium due to the logistics of the location is nuts 

Was probably the only viable option at the time of building. It may have hosted many events but I don't know anyone that thinks the arena as a venue or it's location is decent. 

6 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

When the argument that's trying to be put forward is that it's "no less part of the city centre than SJP is" it definitely is. It's obviously nothing like part of the city centre like SJP is.

46 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Give over man. :lol:

:) 

There is a weird notion tbf that Grey’s Monument is the centre of the city.  It really isn’t in any real sense - certainly not for bars and restaurants.

Newcastle isn’t a city in any real sense in any case.  It has the feel of a town due to its relatively small centre.  The arena site really isn’t less accessible in any sense.  There are far more (good) bars near central station & on the quayside which are much easier to get to the arena than SJP.

Honestly, it doesn’t arse me either way, but the idea that the arena is a terrible trek is absolutely crackers.

All this boils down to whether or not the ownership is serious in their stated ambitions or not.  If we stay at SJP, we stay roughly where we are right now in all respects - we won’t catch the current elite in a lifetime, never mind five or ten years. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

When the argument that's trying to be put forward is that it's "no less part of the city centre than SJP is" it definitely is. It's obviously nothing like part of the city centre like SJP is.

If SJP wasn’t there, there’s no way anyone would consider it to be central in any sense.  No fucker goes anywhere near there on a non-match day 

5 hours ago, Arknor said:

Have you seen the amount of green sites around Newcastle that had new build housing estates on them in the last couple of years? even farmland along some of the wagonways I cycle is now housing estates

I'm sure they aren't going to cry about a small moor with no use from the public anyway.

That brownfield site was a leadworks for something like 223 years and massively contaminated all the soil.
I'd be surprised if they allowed any buildings with deep foundations that could lead to contamination of the river or water table

Member of my family is a consultant town planner and has visited the Arena site in connection with work. It’s ideal for a stadium, also it’s only been ‘master planned’ and the land has been purchased. It’s all down to the club approaching the council, should they want to, with plans for the site. Master planning doesn’t mean that housing etc will be built there. The land can still be purchased from the current owners, probably at a profit, once again only if the club chooses to go that way.

As for all the green land around Newcastle, green belt and green field sites are completely different things in planning, so I’m told.

Seems impossible that there won’t be a site in a city with such a small centre and so few prestigious areas. Surely some land could be bought either in or on the edge of the centre. The whole thing is walkable in 15-20 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think it's somewhere between the two.

The current site is more central, as it's closer to the main footfall areas but it's not like the Arena site is on the moon. As has been mentioned it's maybe 5-10min further away from that central zone which isn't going to make a huge difference in terms of pre-match eating/drinking and getting to and from the ground. There's a big difference between that and (for example) building somewhere near Kingston Park.

The notion that any area and its local businesses would crumble and die if the £ from a 1 day a week, possibly every 2 weeks event and nothing over a summer is all it has its hopes pinned on, doesn’t say a lot for its viability.

The club don’t owe these businesses anything.. and same can be said vice versa.

If we moved to a new stadium on a different site, something else would be built in place of it.. quite possibly an events arena with hotels and apartments.. and the area would adapt, possibly even flourish.

Just as the area close to the existing arena site would build up to accommodate a new football stadium.