St James' Park

Delima

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s not about crowd such only.  Adding a few thousand to the back of the Gallowgate (which I doubt is realistic) wouldn’t get us any closer to them.  It’s the lack of corporate and the lack of commercial revenue generated by the current SJP.  It isn’t fit for purpose. 

The Gallowgate can be extended back and up to add in more capacity and corporate, The Leazes can be extended towards Leazes Park.

On 07/03/2024 at 15:15, Arknor said:

look extremely boring and seem to be more about protecting wealthy fans from the elements.

people really like enclosed stadiums? why not sound proof it whilst they are at it so no one knows whats going on inside.

I don't think you have visited Las Vegas in the summer when the baseball season is on. :lol: Regularly hits 40C to almost 50C, it's not enclosed to protect the wealthy from some drizzle.

Isn’t there still some weird laws that prevents football games being played in stadiums with a closed roof?

I remember when the cup finals were at the Millennium stadium, there was one that had loads of rain and usually they would close the roof for the rugby, but were not allowed to for the football.

It seems pointless now when modern stadiums with roofs are the size of a 30 story building.

6 hours ago, Pata said:

I don't think you have visited Las Vegas in the summer when the baseball season is on. :lol: Regularly hits 40C to almost 50C, it's not enclosed to protect the wealthy from some drizzle.

I’ve watched cricket in Sydney in those temperatures, and they have no roof at the SCG :) 

Just now, Stifler said:

Isn’t there still some weird laws that prevents football games being played in stadiums with a closed roof?

I remember when the cup finals were at the Millennium stadium, there was one that had loads of rain and usually they would close the roof for the rugby, but were not allowed to for the football.

It seems pointless now when modern stadiums with roofs are the size of a 30 story building.

No, the only UEFA regs relate to the roof being open or closed.  It can be either, but can’t be changed during play. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve watched cricket in Sydney in those temperatures, and they have no roof at the SCG :) 

The Waca was the worst for ridiculous temperatures.  45 degrees when I was there.

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, the only UEFA regs relate to the roof being open or closed.  It can be either, but can’t be changed during play. 

I was just looking at the rules there, apparently it can be closed before the game, or at half time, but at no other time.

Urban Gardens is the charity that oversees some of Newcastle's green spaces including Leazes Park, iirc

Woefully underfunded and, now, skint. Busted. 

I'm a champion for urban green spaces for wildlife, diversity and human wellbeing. 

Now might be a perfect storm, however, to shift the ground there. Provided the current site and everywhere around was replaced and rejuvenated with parkland. 

Having said that, and referring back to the club's survey, a great deal was made of people's willingness to attend any stadium earlier, spend more and stay longer. Bit of a tap-in to how the moneymen want it. 

Stand alone ground where the city's establishments don't get all the business, the club does. 

Also, as an aside and notwithstanding 14 years of Tory austerity due to be supplemented by more years blue Labour Austerity, I think the Town Moor is a fucking joke. 

Get the cunt planted and invested in like Central Park, for eg. 

Tell the Freeman to get fucked. 

If anyone is interested in finding out what pre-application discussions there might have been with the council about redevelopment on St. James' Park or developing Castle Leazes or the arena site, there has been a recent judgment that pre-application planning advice is not exempt from freedom of information requests.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

I think the Town Moor is a fucking joke. 

Get the cunt planted and invested in like Central Park. 

The Town Moor is our main City Centre Park area, stretching from the City Centre to the suburbs of (West to East) Fenham, Kenton, Gosforth and Jesmond.

Only small parts of it are laid out as useable parks, eg Nuns Moor Park, Exhibition Park and Leazes Park.

It really M U S T be used better though!!

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

I think the Town Moor is a fucking joke. 

Get the cunt planted and invested in like Central Park, for eg. 

The Town Moor is, by and large, an empty if unique space. Nowhere else quite like it, for better or worse.

If a new stadium is built on Castle Leazes, I'd like to see the remaining moorland there converted into parkland as a northwesterly extension of Leazes Park. A Leazes Park extending from Strawberry Place to Belle Grove Terrace in Spital Tongues (developed and maintained by NUFC) would be a massive civic enhancement.

The remainder of The Town Moor can be left as is.

If we did that then it would be nice for some sort of paths to be put into the Town Moor, just enough for the hoppings and potentially other festivals, but not enough to interfere with the grazing cattle.

The town moor is absolutely a joke. You don’t have to go as far as New York to show it up - have a deeks at any of the parks in London and you can easily show the town moor up for what it is; a field. 

In fact save yourself the congestion charge and stop in Watford. Cassiobury Park which adds so much to Watford as a town. 

There are a huge amount of tertiary improvements to be had on this, get some Saudi money hoyed at it and the city, not just the club, can benefit massively. 

Edited by BoSelecta

Yeah the Town Moor is shit. It just exists, it's not really used in any way.

Its only justification for existing in its current state is the freemen of Newcastle and their "grazing rights", but come on, it's 2024. Nobody cares about this anymore and it has no relevance in modern times, but yet it prevents anything being done with what would otherwise be a wonderful green space.