St James' Park

Delima

8 hours ago, NEEJ said:

No offence meant in the slightest here, but am I right in thinking you're now abroad? If so, when were you last at SJP for a match? 

None taken.  I am, last time was in 2022.  Was a ST holder 1991-2009.  Refused to go back under Ashley.

Honestly, I’ve no issue if you don’t think I should have a say in moving from SJP or not.  Newcastle is my place of birth and where I’ve spent 85% of my life so far - but I’m not there now, and I’m comfortable with the notion that it’s the locals who should have a say.  I’m not one now. 

12 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

There’s an awful lot of presumption that all the new attendees would be plastics, rather than the next generations of kids who are currently locked out of watching at St James'. There are lots of people of my generation who were effectively locked out of the stadium bar the odd cup or European game under Keegan. I’d really rather that the same situation didn’t occur again as young fans are the lifeblood of the club and often of developing atmosphere 

Agree 100%. Plus all the people who quit during Ashley’s reign are now locked out as members. Although a know a few who’ve moved on from football altogether now. 

I also think generally more people want to watch football now. West Ham get approx 60k every week, I think we should be able to do 65-70k if tickets were priced right for the region. 

19 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

We almost certainly cannot join the Tier 1 group without a new build, but given the preference for staying put if possible I think we'd happily accept joining the Tier 2 group as Liverpool opted to do. So the question is can we essentially double the current match day income while staying at SJP? I think if the answer based on what's feasible and the revenue projections is yes then that's what we'll do, though cost, short term disruption, and timeline will be relevant factors.

If the answer is no because of site limitations or other then they will almost certainly have to look at a new stadium. The alternative puts far too much of a ceiling on both match day and commercial revenue to achieve the stated goal.

Even if we were over the years to bridge gap to Tier 2 you put, in that time, those in Tier 2 will likely move on to Tier 1 and Tier 1 itself will grow.

Anfield will expand further, Chelsea still want a new stadium eventually, and Man City will continue to expand over time because that’s continually got room for growth. 

So even if it was feasible to expand towards Tier 2, it’s probably better cost wise long term to go for new build.

Don’t even think it’s about facilities for me though it’d be great to have better brighter concourses with local products being served.

The main issue is the poor design of level 7, its poor sight lines and feeling of detachment from the atmosphere.

I’m not greatly impressed by the latest Anfield Road expansion, but the extra tier added at least looks part of the stadium.

I can foresee plans coming out to transform SJP like. I don’t think long term it will end up as basic as just whacking L7 on the Gallowgate.

I still think the best case scenario would be a temporary stadium built on Exhibition Park (Qatar anyone?) and SJP being flattened and rebuilt from scratch. 

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I can foresee plans coming out to transform SJP like. I don’t think long term it will end up as basic as just whacking L7 on the Gallowgate.

I still think the best case scenario would be a temporary stadium built on Exhibition Park (Qatar anyone?) and SJP being flattened and rebuilt from scratch. 

Unless the Saudis have developed inverted stadiums I can't see how anything else happens trapped between leazes terrace and barrack road. 

1 hour ago, Sibierski said:

Even if we were over the years to bridge gap to Tier 2 you put, in that time, those in Tier 2 will likely move on to Tier 1 and Tier 1 itself will grow.

Anfield will expand further, Chelsea still want a new stadium eventually, and Man City will continue to expand over time because that’s continually got room for growth. 

So even if it was feasible to expand towards Tier 2, it’s probably better cost wise long term to go for new build.

Yeah, the projections would need to account for this. An expansion needs to get us into the £80-90m range in today’s money. 

18 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Well judging by the figures @timeEd32 posted above, we've currently got about a 15% lower capacity than Spurs (52k versus 62k) but we're taking in 60% less matchday revenue (£40m versus £120m) so that suggests that just bridging the capacity gap isn't enough on its own.

It'll be corporate revenue 

21 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

And ticket prices, our most expensive season tickets are about the same as their cheapest.

That's a good point. Due to earning disparities between regions, we'll always struggle to price season tickets the same as Arsenal, Spurs etc. Building the same size stadium is only half the battle.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

That's a good point. Due to earning disparities between regions, we'll always struggle to price season tickets the same as Arsenal, Spurs etc. Building the same size stadium is only half the battle.

Isn’t a bad thing though. If you support Arsenal and Spurs, then you usually need a good job to be able to afford season tickets, even for London wages. A kid with working class parents will likely never see them play, unless they managed to grab a ticket through some school programme.

5 hours ago, Vedder said:

Agree 100%. Plus all the people who quit during Ashley’s reign are now locked out as members. Although a know a few who’ve moved on from football altogether now. 

I also think generally more people want to watch football now. West Ham get approx 60k every week, I think we should be able to do 65-70k if tickets were priced right for the region. 

It's a very good point about west ham, despite all the negative press about their new home, they've still bumped up to over 60k by the simple fact that the space is there to be filled. 

The club will simply adapt to the new platform like we did from 36k to 52k and probably again a new average attendance of 65k 

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

That's something that's come to the fore and boils me with FFP.  The logistical factor. You could, and do, have clubs in the north far bigger than clubs in the south with whom they cant compete with simply because of that. Sheffield's, Boro and Mackems wont make as much as Fulham. How's that fair?

Though wouldn't be surprised if it was factored in and only sweetened the deal for those behind all this.

11 hours ago, TheGuv said:

I just don’t see them spending hundreds of millions on a stadium that would be around for two seasons at most, for a massive loss.  We’re an investment not a vanity project

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

I’d argue we’re both to be fair

I think you’re right, but I would still doubt that they’d spend a couple of hundred million to build a temporary ground for two season which would bring in less than half that money back

This whole talk of a temporary stadium seems extremely far fetched. We are going through the stages of grief but deep down we all know we have to move, even if it's a mile away.

Edited by OverThere

8 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

There's no chance of a temp stadium being built, that would cost £100m's nowadays with how high construction costs are.

I agree. It would probably be more economical (but by no means perfect solution) to build 2 stands at Gateshead behind the goals, whether they be temporary or permanent structures. 

Maybe the club could develop a relationship like we had when we had reserve team football there and help upgrade their facilities a notch. 

20 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I agree. It would probably be more economical (but by no means perfect solution) to build 2 stands at Gateshead behind the goals, whether they be temporary or permanent structures. 

Maybe the club could develop a relationship like we had when we had reserve team football there and help upgrade their facilities a notch. 

In a sane world you give the Mackems £10m a season to rent the SOS.  But we don’t live in a sane world

22 hours ago, Sibierski said:

It looks like the Scouse could hoy another tier on the Kenny dogleash stand and realistically they are done at 70k.

The kop is hemmed in by a major A road, they could rebuild it but it would look odd, a bit like that stand at the old dell at Southampton where it was high one one side and lower on the other. Whilst it's possible to build over there will likely be major restrictions. There is also some buildings in close proximity however history suggests they are good at getting people to move. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

In a sane world you give the Mackems £10m a season to rent the SOS.  But we don’t live in a sane world

It makes sense. Mind, I think it would cause an uproar on both sides. Some of our lot (me included) would absolutely hate venturing in Sunderland every 2 weeks and sitting on their red/pink seats. 

They'd probably go on the next 100 years how they bailed us out in aid of our super project.

Be interesting to see the results of a poll on whether you would be willing for Newcastle to play there for 2 years. 

If we do rebuild SJP and have to move somewhere temporarily, we’d likely have to get over ourselves in saying the SOL isn’t an option. We can’t go anywhere else, aye going to Murray-field would be nice for a couple of big games, but isn’t sustainable. The SOL is only 3k behind us in capacity, it means we’ll be able to let all our season tickets still attend, and still sell some to people who go on a game by game basis.

St James 52,000+

SOS 49,000

Riverside 35,000

Darlington arena 25,000+

Gateshead international 12,000

Kingston park 10,000+

Daft ones

Murrayfield 67,000+

Elland road 38,000

Any others? 

Maybe we could rename ourselves 'newcastle rangers' for a couple of seasons and go on a tour around the different venues