St James' Park

Delima

Rightly or wrongly, I have a feeling this will be framed as "the moment the wheels came off".  We don't expect anything from the next few games, but I wouldn't be surprised if we then can't find our form again and it won't take a big step to place some of that on this abysmal decision completely taking the wind out of our sails and ripping the heart out of our positive start.

But I'm sure that'll be worth it as well. 

Most likely.

For everyone who thinks this wasn't going to happen anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu%C3%9Fball-Bundesliga

Would like to know how many of those are new grounds.

Bay Arena - Bayer Leverkusen - 1958

Signal Iduna Park - Dortmund - 1974

badenova Stadium - Freiburg - 1953

Imtech Arena - Hamburg - 1953

AWD Arena - Hanover - 1954

Rhein Energy Stadium - Koln - 1923

easycredit Stadium - Nuremberg - 1928

Mercedes Benz Arena - Stuttgart  - 1933

They are the older stadiums in Bundesliga 1 which have been renamed multiple times for many years. There are even more lower down the leagues.

In deals which got the teams money.

I'm not arguing against the people saying his brand being advertised is wrong. I am arguing with the "we have sold our history" people.

I don't quite get your logic though, just because other teams have done this, it doesn't mean it isn't selling your history or your identity. Maybe other clubs have sold their souls, it doesn't mean we should be happy we're doing it.

They are the older stadiums in Bundesliga 1 which have been renamed multiple times for many years. There are even more lower down the leagues.

I'm not arguing against the people saying his brand being advertised is wrong. I am arguing with the "we have sold our history" people.

Maybe those clubs have sold their history as well?  Will you be back linking to New York Red Bulls if we have a team name change to prove that didn't sell our history?

If a club up sticks and move to another city, can you just say "Well, MK Dons did it, must be OK.  Inevitable, even."

Guest sydneycove

Maybe those clubs have sold their history as well?  Will you be back linking to New York Red Bulls if we have a team name change to prove that didn't sell our history?

I have already made my thoughts clear on the changing of the jersey or name of the club.

I would have to argue those German clubs have as much history and meaning to their fans as Newcastle do to us. As for the passion well the German FA hasn't banned standing so some of the most passionate fans in the world are from Germany.

There is a massive difference between changing the home ground, city , colours or name of a club and selling stadium sponsor rights which will need to be done by every club in England very soon.

There is a massive difference between changing the home ground, city , colours or name of a club and selling stadium sponsor rights which will need to be done by every club in England very soon.

Why does it need to be done?

MONEY

So glad Mike lent us that £100m, then spent it on things like signing Alan Smith on a deal worth about £20m in fees and wages, £40m in losses from getting relegated, £2m for constructively dismissing Keegan and then covering however much we lost from no longer being able to show adverts on 80% of our ground because it's covered in freebie billboards, leaving us owing him £100m.  Thanks mate, really saved our skin.

:clap:

Guest sydneycove

I don't quite get your logic though, just because other teams have done this, it doesn't mean it isn't selling your history or your identity. Maybe other clubs have sold their souls, it doesn't mean we should be happy we're doing it.

Go have a look on a video site at fans of those teams and then tell me they have sold their souls.

Guest sydneycove

It is the biggest revenue raiser any club has. Having actually worked in this field before it brings in huge amounts of money.

Go have a look on a video site at fans of those teams and then tell me they have sold their souls.

You're missing the point, I'm not saying anything to do with the fans.

We might recover in a few years time, and stop being annoyed about this. New generations might forget it was ever called SJP, so it won't matter to them. People who don't appreciate the symbolism of football will continue to ignore its importance. But that doesn't mean this move is right or should happen.

Are you telling me that you believe this newly generated income will pour directly into funding new players?

Ha ha...it may buy new Mike a new SD outlet in Jesmond, or finance next years bonuses for his SD staff, but NUFC will not see a fucking penny of it, thats why it is a ridiculous stunt to maximise the business which really matters to him.

FUCK YOU ASHLEY AND ALL OF YOUR LITTLE FUCKING LYING PRICKS!

NEVER TRUST A COCKNEY!!!

Newcastle United, Will Never Be Defeated!

Buckinghamshire  :whistle:

Guest sydneycove

can someone give sydneycove a f***ing job or summik? this issue has been massively derailed by his bullshit

My bullshit. Show me anything I have posted that isn't a solid fact.

can someone give sydneycove a f***ing job or summik? this issue has been massively derailed by his bullshit

You said something a few pages back (couldn't be arsed to read every page since) about this making us money, looks to be doing the opposite at the moment.

Like, videos where thousands of Borussia Dortmund fans are angrily protesting against the financial actions of their board?

Or fans from all clubs protesting against the moving of games to maximise TV money?

http://sportabc.com/ball/soccer/soccer-german-soccer-federation-upsets-fans.html

DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND ECONOMIC REALITY?!!

I'm pretty sure you said I was a tosspot. That's definitely not true.

Or is it?  :'(

Guest sydneycove

We might recover in a few years time, and stop being annoyed about this. New generations might forget it was ever called SJP, so it won't matter to them. People who don't appreciate the symbolism of football will continue to ignore its importance. But that doesn't mean this move is right or should happen.

Fundamentally in a perfect world it shouldn't but we live in reality and in reality FFP dictates the need to sell the stadium naming rights.

Guest icemanblue

Fundamentally in a perfect world it shouldn't but we live in reality and in reality FFP dictates the need to sell the stadium naming rights.

It really doesn't, like.

Guest sydneycove

I'm pretty sure you said I was a tosspot. That's definitely not true.

Or is it?  :'(

No your actually quite good to debate with. If your ever in Australia I will be sure to buy you a schooner of cold beer.

I've just been reading in the paper about how he changed the name of the stadium to sportdirect@st james park two years ago?

Did he? I remember something in the news at the time but in the two years since i'd say precisely ZERO people have called it that. It is and it always will be st james park. And if some mug wants to stump up a few million to have their logo replace the sports direct ones then more fool them!

You can name a brand new stadium, like the reebok or the emirates. But in a case like ours the name won't change. People will call it what they've always called it.

Guest sydneycove

It really doesn't, like.

So where else will clubs make up the revenue they lose by not selling stadium naming rights.

Well that's a pretty hard point to argue over, as we would need to explore and discount all of the other ways of raising revenue or reducing outgoings. You think it needs to be done, I disagree, there's not much either of us can prove beyond that.