St James' Park

Delima

Some things are more important than short term gain, not that we've had any.

I thought the strip was more important than anything, didn't stop them platering any old cack on that. did you complain ?

Did you complain when people were throwing bananas at black footballers?

Times change man, what happened before has no bearing on this whatsoever.

Guest bimpy474

When Mrs Bimpy has my toon top on, i'm not sure whether to be happy, turned on or outraged.

Virgin splodged across her big whoppers, i mean really.

I thought the strip was more important than anything, didn't stop them platering any old cack on that. did you complain ?

no i didn't complain, i whinged to like minded friends but i was scared if i complained i'd get my head kicked in.

times change....exactly, but it's you that doesn't see  the direction they are going.

No I didn't complain because the first team colours were always black and white.  The design of the strip has changed many times and adding sponsorship was just another design change. 

If the black and white had changed then I would have complained as much as I will about St James' going down the pan.

no i didn't complain, i whinged to like minded friends but i was scared if i complained i'd get my head kicked in.

times change....exactly, but it's you that doesn't see  the direction they are going.

Would you support the colours changing from black and white to red and blue if Sports Direct were paying £5m per year for it? And if not, why not? What's the difference?

Would never support changing the name of SJP. I'm more than happy with a bit of advertising for bucks, but as far as the name of the club, and the name of the ground go, they get gtfo.

edit: oh, and the colours too... obvy

No I didn't complain because the first team colours were always black and white.  The design of the strip has changed many times and adding sponsorship was just another design change. 

If the black and white had changed then I would have complained as much as I will about St James' going down the pan.

it never had a blue star on the front like horse racing silks, i've watched footage from the fairs cup and fa cup wins from the 50's that never had greenalls written across them. those words are as much a part of the strip as the badge because they are there and unavoidable and worse than a stadium name as you can't hide the bloody thing in the way we can still call St James' by it's original name.

Would you support the colours changing from black and white to red and blue if Sports Direct were paying £5m per year for it? And if not, why not? What's the difference?

no i wouldn't because thast would,to me, infringe our identity. changing the name of the stadium, which 99% of most people will still call by its original name isn't the same thing.

to reiterate. i don't think it's a good thing, but it'll come just like shirt advertising did. had we been the first to do that people would've kicked off, but it's seen as ok when it's accepted as the norm. just so happens we are really the first to try this. if it comes off it will become the norm.

more pressing is  whether they are really trying to flog the name or is it just a cover for free advertising for sports direct.

Would never support changing the name of SJP. I'm more than happy with a bit of advertising for bucks, but as far as the name of the club, and the name of the ground go, they get gtfo.

edit: oh, and the colours too... obvy

And the city it's in , we don't want to end up in Albuquerque.

it never had a blue star on the front like horse racing silks, i've watched footage from the fairs cup and fa cup wins from the 50's that never had greenalls written across them. those words are as much a part of the strip as the badge because they are there and unavoidable and worse than a stadium name as you can't hide the bloody thing in the way we can still call St James' by it's original name.

The sponsorship didn't change the colours of the shirt, before we were sponsored we played in black and white, after we were sponsored we played in black and white. 

Before the name was changed we played at St James' Park, after the name change we play at SDA.

The sponsorship didn't change the colours of the shirt, before we were sponsored we played in black and white, after we were sponsored we played in black and white. 

Before the name was changed we played at St James' Park, after the name change we play at SDA.

was there blue on the 74 cup final shirt ?

come on man mick, look at the strip, get someone to describe it to you on looking at it, they'll say, black and white stripes with virgin money written on it. the advertising is totally unavoidable. the original blue star top was like something from the 3:30 at kempton.

no i wouldn't because thast would,to me, infringe our identity. changing the name of the stadium, which 99% of most people will still call by its original name isn't the same thing.

Well to me the renaming is only part of it. The entire stadium is plastered in Sports Direct signage; inside, out and even on top. Nearly every hoarding has Sports Direct on it, it's everywhere you look and all for which we're getting nothing. Consider how the Newcastle United sign on the east stand was taken down, replaced in Sports Direct font and reduced in size so that it's no bigger than the Sports Direct signs flanking and outnumbering it. Sports Direct signage covers the centre circle before each game. Sports Direct sheeting covers the seating next to the away fans so that even if the team concedes a goal Sports Direct get exposure as home fans and television cameras look up there.

The renaming is just the final part - it actually is the 'Sports Direct Arena' in everything including name. To me that infringes our identity. The fact we're getting precisely fuck all for it is simply salt in the wound.

Well to me the renaming is only part of it. The entire stadium is plastered in Sports Direct signage; inside, out and even on top. Nearly every hoarding has Sports Direct on it, it's everywhere you look and all for which we're getting nothing. Consider how the Newcastle United sign on the east stand was taken down, replaced in Sports Direct font and reduced in size so that it's no bigger than the Sports Direct signs flanking and outnumbering it. Sports Direct signage covers the centre circle before each game. Sports Direct sheeting covers the seating next to the away fans so that even if the team concedes a goal Sports Direct get exposure as home fans and television cameras look up there.

The renaming is just the final part - it actually is the 'Sports Direct Arena' in everything including name. To me that infringes our identity. The fact we're getting precisely f*** all for it is simply salt in the wound.

it's worse than the renaming because we, when we type, talk etc can avoid it, we can call it St James', we can't avoid the signs when we look around the ground.